14 Team Leagues vs. 12 Team Leagues

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:49 am

I mentioned this yesterday after our KP Experts League draft -- which was a 12-team format -- that you almost feel good about yourself after one of those compared to how you feel after doing one of our 14-team drafts. It's hard to explain, but those two extra teams this year just makes you feel like you left the draft with holes at a lot of different spots. You don't quite get that same feeling after a 12-team format.

As you know from past discussion here, some people have said that the NFFC would grow a lot faster if we ever went to a 12-team format. I've obviously been the one to stick to the 14-team format as I think it's proven to be a tougher competition and unique from the rest of the other high-stakes competitions. This is not a thread about the NFFC ever changing its format, just a discussion of what you guys/gals like and dislike about 14 team leagues.

Am I correct in saying that you get a different feeling after doing a 14-team draft than you do from a 12-team draft?

Do you guys/gals like the present format of 14 teams? Would you like me to offer some 12-team satellite leagues or should we stick to the 14-team format for all of our events?

I knew when I went to the 14-team format, 13-week regular season format it was a risk. Now that we are starting our third season, I'm convinced more than ever that this is the right format for our high-stakes contest. It's a tough challenge and with only one of 16 league champs from 2004 repeating in 2005, it shows how tough the league format is. I just don't want it to be TOO tough for our participants.

Any and all feedback is good. Now if you don't mind, I have to prepare for another 12-team experts league draft at noon. :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:52 am

Greg - good observations. If you really want to feel beat up, try competing in 16 team leagues - it's almost too much.

But I like the 14 team format. I think it is tougher, but thus rewards the better drafters and offers more complexity and drafting options, which makes it a better game.

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:41 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
offers more complexity and drafting options I disagree. 14 teame leagues and drafts ARE tough but I feel there are not as many different drafting options that lead to success as there can be in 12 teamers. I've said this before and I don't think it's any secret - if you want to have the basis of a good 14 team draft - grab the RBs early, don't get caught on the tail end of a QB or a TE run and you will be fine. 12 team drafts do not have such "absolutes" and successful teams can be build with many different strategies.
For Players. By Players.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:45 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I just don't want it to be TOO tough for our participants.
After the drafts so far this year ... I think BBDS is the way to go. It stinks to have to try to pull yourself out of the 11 or 13 spot. It would be nice to know the one spot had very little FA money.
Hakuna Matata!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:46 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
I think BBDS is the way to go. It stinks to have to try to pull yourself out of the 11 or 13 spot. It would be nice to know the one spot had very little FA money. AMEN!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 am

Greg, I love the 14 team format. It is actually the main reason why I joined the NFFC over the *****. It tends to take out the luck factor a little more than a 12 teamer. IMO almost anyone can form a decent to compete in a 12 teamer, but this isn't the same with the 14 team leagues.

With the 14 teams you have to make so many more decisions on when to draft starters and backups. When do you take your starting QB, D, TE, K??? And when do you start backing them up? If you wait to long, you could be without a decent backup. On the other hand, in the 12 teamers, it seems like decent backups are always there and the waiver wire seems to always be crawling with talent. I know whenever I complete a 12 team league draft, I look at the waiver wire and can usually form a decent team with the options available, sometimes two teams. This definitely isn't the same with the 14 team leagues. I look at the waiver wire and there's very slim pickings.

I am glad the NFFC decided to be different than the others by making it more competitive. IMO, the 12 team leagues are a joke when it comes to deciding who's the best. No offense to Robert Z, but look at his performance here in the NFFC and compare that to his placing in the *****. I understand one can have a down year, but let's see how he finishes again this season. Should tell a lot.

After prepping for all of these 14 team leagues, when I do draft for a 12 team league it is such a breeze and I have to laugh at the "star-studded" team I assembled. Kudos for being different. Looking at the amount of teams playing in the NFFC compared to the ***** should tell you a lot. Obviously the masses prefer the 12 team format, but are you wanting to form a competition for the $$$$$$$ or are you wanting to form the best competition possible?? The NFFC will continue to grow regardless. It may not be as fast as you would like, but with you and Tom running things the way you do, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Eventually many will see the light and see the 14 team leagues are the way to go. BOOOO 12 teamers!
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:03 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I just don't want it to be TOO tough for our participants.
Sorry ... lost focus here ... Not to tough at all! Looking foward to the 15 team 3 city (although I'm 14th in that ... go figure). And I am becoming more and more interested in a 16 team league. Tough is good! Easy is ... er ... EASY!

big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
Obviously the masses prefer the 12 team formatThe 12 team league was just first ... it will be interesting to see if people leave one to go to the other (true test of interest). I have not heard anyone dis the 14 team league for a 12 team league. Time will tell ... BBDS would surely interest those who are stuck with 2 bad draft spots in a row regardless of team number preference. Gekko did have a great idea with the BBDS.
Hakuna Matata!