Live Chat With Greg A. On Monday At 3 pm ET

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:16 am

Okay, we finally have gone to press with all five Fanball/Fantasy Sports magazines and Tom and I will have more free time to host live chats on the NFFC boards. Tom is still gone next week, but I'll step in and do my best to answer football questions tomorrow if folks want to drop by for a live chat. I'll be here to talk about the NFL, fantasy rankings, the progress of the NFFC, and anything else you may want to ask.

Join me tomorrow for some fun on the boards and let's kick the season off right. We will have our 32 Teams In 32 Days series starting soon as well. Tom and Rick Hawes did a great job with that last year and I think Rick has already done some of the dirty work for Fanball on this series. I'll see if we can't post one of the teams each day this week and get the football talk rolling again.

Feel free to post questions ahead of time and I'll do my best to check in from time to time and answer them before the live chat begins. Otherwise, join me tomorrow and look for some wild answers between chews of my daily Subway sandwich!! :D See ya tomorrow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

philpo

Post by philpo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:05 am

Greg

The consesus top 5 rb's are in random order AP MJD CJ RR and Gore which 1 of those do not finish in the top 10.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:08 am

Originally posted by philpo:
Greg

The consesus top 5 rb's are in random order AP MJD CJ RR and Gore which 1 of those do not finish in the top 10. Unlike Tom, Gore is not a favorite of mine. I don't think I've drafted him once in the last 2-3 years. The injuries and a bad QB scare me away; two knee injuries is one more than I've had and two more than I want from my first round pick!! :D I agree that Mike Singletary will try to win games with a strong rushing attack and a good defense and that's good news for Gore, especially with two first round picks now blocking for him. But out of that group, it's an easy call for me.

I'd take a WR before Gore if I got one of this middle first round picks. But that's just me and I know Tom would take Gore fifth overall.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:32 am

Please forgive me if I'm breaking "live chat" protocol by offering my own opinions in Greg's thread, but...

Though most people will likely take Rice before Gore, be careful w/ that. As I've said in other threads, many who are ranking Rice ahead of Gore must be assuming that Boldin's and Stallworth's arrival will have NO impact on Rice? :confused:

But if we figure Boldin for 75+ catches and Stallworth for at least 40, unless we just assume that BAL will throw 115 more completions than last year (which would require about 170 more pass attempts), then SOMEONE has to take a hit in the receiving game. I believe that's Rice because unlike last year where Flacco's primary/only downfield read was Mason, then a dumpoff to Rice, now he'll also have Boldin (and maybe Stallworth to look for). If Rice's receptions go down from 78 last year to more like 40 (plus the loss of roughly half of his receiving yardage), then his NFFC points would also go down to around 230 instead of last year's 285. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see his rushes reduced too; if they're throwing more, they're running less, no? That kind of possibility would make me think long and hard about drafting a WR (or QB) before Rice.

Gore, OTOH, does have the injury risk. But w/ the new linemen and Singletary's commitment to increased running, plus an easy schedule, even if Gore misses a couple games, he should easily be able to match last year's stat line of around 250+ NFFC points. If he manages to play all 16 games (which he's done only once, in 2006), he can approach 300 rushes and 50+ receptions, giving him 300-point NFFC upside.

In summary, Gore's team has made off-season moves and appears poised to INCREASE their running; BAL's moves seem to be in the opposite direction, to open things up a bit more for Flacco.

Contrarian opinion or not, I'd take Gore over Rice and not just blindly pay for last year's stats.

[ July 18, 2010, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Max Factor

Post by Max Factor » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:28 am

Greg,

How are you going to handle the financial hit now that Subway is deciding to do away with $5.00 footlongs?
Jeff Potok

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 am

Greg, I've never read so much slander about fantasy sports in my life, as I did this past pre-season...What can possibly be done so that every player, old and new, can be GUARANTEED that the high stakes contest they are joining is what they say they are? I mean, when someone places a wager in Vegas or Atlantic City, its never even a thought about whether or not they will get paid if they win. How can we, as fantasy players feel the same way with fantasy sports?

Thanks,

Marc
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:17 am

Greg, strictly fantasy talk now...

Your thoughts on these "after thought" players...

Matt Jones
Harry Douglas
Leron McClain
Reggie Brown
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 am

Greg, is the draft software going to restrict DC rosters to 26 players?

Just trying to verify that the 30 we drafted in the Trendsetters will not work and wonder if this is across the board when creating drafts using the software.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Cornfins13

Post by Cornfins13 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:53 am

Greg,

I love the expanded locations but, signups are extremly thin.

What plan does Fanball have in place when/if these leagues don't fill?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:46 am

Originally posted by Max Factor:
Greg,

How are you going to handle the financial hit now that Subway is deciding to do away with $5.00 footlongs? Ah, Max, good question. Easy answer!! I'm smaller than you think and after a good workout I order six-inch wheat, ham every day!! No foot longs for this boy!! :D

Now TK on the other hand, yes, this is bad news for him!! :D