2008 Main Event Day experience.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:33 pm

Guys, I had a great time drafting in the first year of the NFFC Primetime event. Everything went off without a hitch, and Tom had the contest flowing like a well oiled machine.

Please take my thoughts and opinions and either run with it, or you can print it and make a paper airplane out of it...

*I was wondering...Wasn't Rotoworld supposed to do a simulcast of the NBC Event on the website? I thought we were going to meet Greg and Tiffany and then they would do the simulcast. Some people told me that Greg Rosenthall showed up and gave a speech during the NFFC Classic, but I honestly thought I read awhile back that he would be there for the NBC Event, not the 14 teamer. My partner did the 14 teamer and I only had time to show up for the 12 teamer, so I never even saw Greg R...

*The guys doing the ESPN documentary were cool dudes...It was easy to just be comfortable with a camera in your face, giving the fact that those two were easy to talk to, even thought they aren't into fantasy. They did seem intruiged by how much a lot of us LOVE the game.

*I liked the Sheraton better than the old Hilton spot. Good choice guys. I know you used it for baseball, but I don't do that "other" sport, so this is the first time I've been in this convention room. Very impressive. That HUGE screen HAS to be capable of having ESPN streaming on it though! Hook the brotha's up and see if the Sheraton family can get sports up on that huge screen!

*A large opinion from the players that did both Friday drafts agreed that a change should be considered to move the 5PM drafts to 6PM. Many guys only had 15 minutes after their 1st draft, before starting their 2nd. A little extra time between drafts may give people their second wind, and not knock them out as much as it did this year.

*I see the business standpoint of allowing people to do as many drafts as they can afford, but I would suggest that anyone doing multiple drafts at the same time, have someone sitting at each table for them, and not have a table vacant while he runs back and forth. One guy in my league must have said "taken" names about 20 times. Not exagerrating. If this rule can't be passed, maybe the NFFC can make a rule change that says after your first or SECOND callout of a taken player, you lose your turn to the next player and then it goes back to you. I don't think there is such a rule in place. As of now, I think someone can call out umpteen names until he hits paydirt as long as his time doesn't expire.

I'm very thankful for the drink tickets from Tom K....Those drinks were expensive!!! WOW. But that's NY for you. I think everyone had a great time, and it is honestly the highpoint of my year meeting crazy fantasy addicts like myself who can talk for hours about anything fantasy. Can't wait for next year. I may hit another city in 2009. Let's see how the season pans out. Good luck to everyone.

Diesel

[ August 31, 2008, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:24 pm

Guys thanks for another well done event and your Chicago team was top notch. Having drafted five different events over the three days, I give props to your crew.

One suggestion for next year though if you indeed run the two main events on Saturday. Please shorten the gap between the Classic and Primetime as the three hour stretch seemed to wear on most gamers, especially those that drove in and didn't have a room to head to.

Keep up the great work as it's much appreciated!
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
Guys thanks for another well done event and your Chicago team was top notch. Having drafted five different events over the three days, I give props to your crew.

One suggestion for next year though if you indeed run the two main events on Saturday. Please shorten the gap between the Classic and Primetime as the three hour stretch seemed to wear on most gamers, especially those that drove in and didn't have a room to head to.

Keep up the great work as it's much appreciated! Agreed, I would like to see the gap shortened.
@RedRyder

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:45 pm

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by BONGIZMO:

Keep up the great work as it's much appreciated! Agreed, I would like to see the gap shortened.
[/QUOTE]Brady won't go for this idea :D :cool:
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 am

Agree with the long wait between drafts, i dont like paying 3 to 4 hundred a night in NY.Even an hour can make abig difference for those driving home.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 am

Actually, I enjoyed the 3 hour break. My cousin and I took a cab to the Cheesecake Factory @ Caesar's and had a nice time reflecting on the 14 team draft as well as having time to talk about the upcoming 12 team draft.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:07 am

Agreed about the break being too long.

2 hours seems to be plenty. Although it did give us in Orlando a chance to thaw out as the room temp had to be around 60 degrees.

About 10 of us went over to BW3s and had some good food and football chat.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:18 am

It would be nice to see the event place changed in Chicago or at least into a conference room. There was a long way to walk between drafts and to the bathroom. Otherwise it was a great event. I agree with the skipping a turn if you call out a name that has been drafted already. We get a draft sheet to jot down names for a reason.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:00 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diesel:

I'm very thankful for the drink tickets from Tom K....Those drinks were expensive!!! WOW. But that's NY for you.

Drink tickets ? got one drink tix. $9 beers and $13 mixed drinks. thats high even for nyc. then $30 for parking. quick hundred.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

renman

Post by renman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:34 am

I had a wonderful time (as usual) in NYC and agree with what Diesel said. Since Greg and Tom always encourage the players to give their thoughts and ideas to continue to make the NFFC an ever improving event.

A couple thoughts, things I heard or ideas to throw out.

-I know many owners regularly complain about hearing players they are hoping will slip to them shouted out from a different table and then taken in their own draft seconds later. I see no way to address this but thought I would say it as I hear owners complain about it every single year. Maybe someone has an idea.. I surely don't.

-I think we should consider a rule for auctions that when a player is up for bid that the talking about that player cease (we did this in my auction basebal league 12 years ago and it made things better and made things go faster).

Once the bidding is over and the player has been secured people can talk all they want... people can applaud or poke fun at it.. We all know how much you spend for a player is the essence of the auction. Being pushed into to overspending or getting him under value is the name of the game. When someone starts mocking a players value during the bidding or starts hyping a player and pushing someone to bid the extra dollar is does impact that process.

-I know some have mentioned drink prices, food prices and parking robberies... I dont drink and parking was not a problem (this time) but I did hear from some who were on the fence about this event say "its not just the 1300 entry fee but the 200-300 more you spend just being in NYC why don't they do it outside of the city?" Again, I am not sure how this could be gotten around. Maybe guys are mainly into the draft itself and less about being around mid-town Manhatten and would be more into this in a setting that was less expensive? I personally do not have a strong feeling about it and am just echoing things I heard.