A potential inherent unfairness in the schedule:

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:36 am

When you think about it the scheduling can become inherently unfair. The greatest impact of the Bye weeks will certainly be felt by teams 1-6. Since they are all almost certain to take a RB in the first round, then they will likely not be as deep at RB as some other teams. Losing your STUD to the bye seriously hurts your team’s chances.

Any team that plays a significant number of games against teams 1-6 during week 5 KC, week 10 SD, week 9 GB, week 7 Wash, week 8 NO, or week 4 Sea gains an unfair advantage.

Since we do not know exactly where picks 3-6 will end up it’s hard to identify the current flaw. However here are the potential advantages:

Team 1 plays team 7 in week 5 and team 11 in week 10.
Team 2 plays team 4 in week 10 and team 9 in week 5.

If it goes Holmes-LT then advantage to teams 7 and 4.
If it goes LT-Holmes then advantage to teams 11 and 9.

Team Wk 9 GB Wk 8 NO Wk 4 Sea Wk 7 Wash
3 1 8 7 9
4 9 10 11 14
5 7 14 12 13
6 8 2 9 11

Number of possible advantages:

Team 1 1
Team 2 1
Team 3 0
Team 4 1
Team 5 0
Team 6 0
Team 7 3
Team 8 2
Team 9 4
Team 10 1
Team 11 3
Team 12 1
Team 13 1
Team 14 2

So team #9 could end up playing 4 of the top 6 teams with their STUD on a bye, while teams 3,5 and 6 have NO chance to avoid a top player.

Any chance you guys can mitigate this potential issue?

If the draft goes LT-Holmes-Portis (which could happen if the #3 teams wants to avoid a Greenless match-up against the big-2) – Green-Duece- Alexander then the #9 team would NOT have to play LT, Portis, Green, or Alexander. How can that be fair?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:55 am

Everyone will lose a player to a bye week at one point in the season. I think you are reading into this conspiracy too much....

Just worry about drafting a competitive team and you will be A-OK
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:57 am

what exactly would you propose that anybody do about this?

So many variables. This analysis assumes the top 4 guys are the best (never happens) and that no players picked later outperform their expectations.

Teams win when their best players are on byes all the time.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:59 am

Nathan, you have way too much free time.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:06 am

Originally posted by John Zaleski:
Nathan, you have way too much free time. ROFL :D :D :D

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:08 am

Originally posted by nnoy:

If the draft goes LT-Holmes-Portis (which could happen if the #3 teams wants to avoid a Greenless match-up against the big-2) – Green-Duece- Alexander then the #9 team would NOT have to play LT, Portis, Green, or Alexander. How can that be fair? In the words of the greatest sage of our time: "Stuff Happens"

Why is it fair that I get to pick Travis Henry in the 1st round and somebody else gets to pick Priest Holmes? Then again will it be fair when some big old lineman hits Priest in the back of the knee and ends his season while Travis has a great season because McGahee is a fumbler.

LOL..the whining has started even before the season has started.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:11 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Originally posted by nnoy:

If the draft goes LT-Holmes-Portis (which could happen if the #3 teams wants to avoid a Greenless match-up against the big-2) – Green-Duece- Alexander then the #9 team would NOT have to play LT, Portis, Green, or Alexander. How can that be fair? In the words of the greatest sage of our time: "Stuff Happens"

Why is it fair that I get to pick Travis Henry in the 1st round and somebody else gets to pick Priest Holmes? Then again will it be fair when some big old lineman hits Priest in the back of the knee and ends his season while Travis has a great season because McGahee is a fumbler.

LOL..the whining has started even before the season has started.
[/QUOTE]Everyone had Travis cemented as the 8th overall pick last year. So maybe he will be a value pick this year for you!

I think that JP has whined the most with his draft slot...just come to the table prepared...because by the time the Liquid Empire gets finished with you......u may be begging that mook Lenny for spot #673!

:mad: Muhahaha (evil sinister mad scientist laugh)

[ August 31, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Liquid ]

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:39 am

Originally posted by nnoy:
...The greatest impact of the Bye weeks will certainly be felt by teams 1-6. Since they are all almost certain to take a RB in the first round, then they will likely not be as deep at RB as some other teams. Losing your STUD to the bye seriously hurts your team’s chances....Solution...draft a Quarterback!

For Players. By Players.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:45 am

Maybe, just maybe, someone takes Lewis in the first 6, but I’d put the over under on the number of times the top-6 go in the first 6 rounds at 95.5 (16 leagues x 6 rounds.)

A valid argument can be made for Moss because of standard deviation, and I’ll be ready to take him there at #7 in the DM league (clearly a better pick in that format because of the optimal line-up rule.) But no chance anyone throws down a cool $1250 then goes brain dead at picks 1-6.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:46 am

Originally posted by John Zaleski:
Nathan, you have way too much free time. I’d chalk this one up to a potential obsessive-compulsive disorder more than “free time.”