Am I Crazy?

Samlawyer

Am I Crazy?

Post by Samlawyer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:18 am

In the Primetime, I've got the following RBs:
C. Johnson, S. Jackson, T. Jones and Mendenhall, and I am sitting S. Jackson. Am I nuts?

I also have Boldin, Chambers, Owens and Coles. I think Coles is going to have a nice game against DET and Owens is up against Revis. I'm sitting Coles though. I'm just not brave enough to sit red-hot T.O.

Tom Kessenich

Am I Crazy?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:25 am

I wouldn't say you're crazy. You are loaded at RB. Johnson is obviously a Must Start and Jones has an easy matchup. So they're in. Mendenhall also has a great matchup and so does Jackson. I'd probably give the edge to Jackson because he's more involved in the passing game. But I don't think you can go wrong with either one this week. I have them ranked 7th and 8th this week so that tells you how close I think they are.

At WR, I'd probably roll with TO over Coles too. I have no confidence in TO to do well against Revis, but it's not like Coles has been going off so his ceiling isn't very high. I could see them doing about the same so if that's the case I'll take the guy who's producing and hope for the best.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

mikeybok

Am I Crazy?

Post by mikeybok » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:30 am

Originally posted by Samlawyer:
In the Primetime, I've got the following RBs:
C. Johnson, S. Jackson, T. Jones and Mendenhall, and I am sitting S. Jackson. Am I nuts?

I also have Boldin, Chambers, Owens and Coles. I think Coles is going to have a nice game against DET and Owens is up against Revis. I'm sitting Coles though. I'm just not brave enough to sit red-hot T.O. And I thought our prime time league was loaded at RB with R Williams, D Williams, Benson, and J Jones/Forsett.

Very Nice RB's Samlawyer! Mendenhall would be an easy sit for me
Hakuna Matata!

Samlawyer

Am I Crazy?

Post by Samlawyer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:41 am

Thanks gentlemen! I wish my loaded backfield was enough, but I'll need a big week to sneak in as a wild card!

Coltsfan

Am I Crazy?

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 am

I would sit Mendenhall and TO.

Wayne

Sandman62

Am I Crazy?

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:28 am

Uh, sorry Snake, but your RBs aren't of the same caliber as Sam's and Ugly's. :rolleyes:

But I'm sure we all realize that it takes more than just a sweet backfield to succeed (as well as some LUCK! :eek: ), esp. in the NFFC's scoring format (which, IMO, favors receivers and QBs).

Though not as "sexy" to talk about, strength at QB, TE and WRs can make a team stronger overall due to strength at 3 positions instead of 1, and giving you good points at 5 or 6 lineup positions each week vs. 3. As I've said many times, IMO, RBs are overrated in the NFFC (though VERY fun to obsess about! ).

For example, here are our starters in the two main events and their NFFC weekly average scoring rank at their position:

Classic
QB - Rodgers, 1
RB1 - LJohnson
RB2 - Bradshaw
(though we've used a bunch of other very low-end RBs all season after all of our drafted RBs busted/injured: LJ, Parker, Bradshaw, Washington)
WR1 - Wayne, 2
WR2 - Colston, 15
WR3 - Smith (NYG), 7
TE - Davis, 2
Flex- Caldwell, 59

Primetime
QB - PManning, 3
RB1 - Hightower, 15
RB2 - Moreno, 29 (though we've used Wells-43 and Bush-23 more so far)
WR1 - Moss, 3
WR2 - Boldin, 24
WR3 - Harvin, 27
TE - Clark, 1
Flex- Garcon, 39

FWIW, we're currently 19th in overall points in the Classic and 32nd overall in the Primetime.

An interesting side effect to this particular strategy is that when our RBs get hurt (and it does seem like RBs are injured more often than other skill positions just due to reps and traffic),... we don't sweat it nearly as much as if we'd invested high draft picks on them and were counting on them to carry our teams.

Sandman62

Am I Crazy?

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:54 am

Yup, he's 23rd all right, averaging 10.8/game.

BTW, to the original poster, sorry I never answered your question.

I don't think you're crazy and sitting SJax is a good idea, given that (a) you can never sit CJ and (b) TJones and Mendy are good enough RBs to take advantage of their super sweet matchups.

I also agree w/ you on not sitting T.O.. After coming out and throwing Edwards under the bus in favor of Fitzpatrick - who is locked in on T.O., I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first WR this year to absolutely TORCH Revis! :eek:

Good luck.

[ December 03, 2009, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]