2007 Changes in the books

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:42 pm

1) 3RR will be used and I applaud the decision.

2) The Free Agent deadline has been moved to 9pm est on Fridays. This is also a nice step making it easier for all to get the most current info to make their weekly decisions. I again applaud this move.

3) Third place money moved to $1000. With 14 team leagues, 3rd place is a good effort and should be rewarded. I think this is much more important here than in the 12 team leagues.

4) The three week playoff league champ changes. I like this a ton.

These stood out and I will be looking for more.

Congrats to the NFFC on their efforts to move this challenge forward and set the bar even higher.

I guarantee a sellout for 2007. (not me, the challenge)

added -- no 3RR for the Ultimate Leagues

[ January 04, 2007, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Ted's Cracked Head ]
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

renman

Post by renman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Ted is right on the money with every point...

I assume he is saying this because these new rules are eched in stone somewhere. Though the 3RR to me in some ways is a bit of a knee jerk reaction to a few epic seasons from a few RB's the last 2 years I think is adds texture to the event. Makes things less predictable. Allows for more strategy and at the very least quells some of the perception about fairness that can really upset some people and might even keep people from entering a high stakes league.

-being in the east I never thought much about the free agent deadline, but it makes perfect sense and is more fair.

-The adding to 3rd prize shows me that the NFFC understands the importance of fattening up league prizes and hopefully post-season prizes outside of the top overall prize.

-The new playoff format is perfect.

I can only imagine how great the NFFC will be in 2011...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
1) 3RR will be used and I applaud the decision.

2) The Free Agent deadline has been moved to 9pm est on Fridays. This is also a nice step making it easier for all to get the most current info to make their weekly decisions. I again applaud this move.

3) Third place money moved to $1000. With 14 team leagues, 3rd place is a good effort and should be rewarded. I think this is much more important here than in the 12 team leagues.

4) The three week playoff league champ changes. I like this a ton.
1) A first in the industry, and I feel it will prove to be a GREAT decision, that will bring many "on the fence" into this contest.

2)Good move also, as I know Fridays can be a bit hectic, and if I don't set it earlier in the week, it can be a bit rushed. I will however miss coming home, and watching my "mini draft' each week right after work. ;)

3) This is good (especially because of #4!) It will definitely reward those teams that "get the shaft" but had a fine season.

4) BEST MOVE OF ALL!!!!!..... because it removes much more of the "luck factor". ANYONE can get beat in a H2H system with one bad week, but if the team with the best record who had say 100 less points than the total points leader beats them in a THREE week playoff, they certainly deserve the $$$! THIS IS OUTSTANDING!!!! :D

These 4 changes alone (along with your guys customer service), CLEARLY make this the best fantasy competition out there!

It is only a matter of time that everyone else figures that out!

WELL DONE!!! :D :D :D

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 am

Why no 3rr in the Ultimate leagues, but in all the other leagues.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Sound Advice

Post by Sound Advice » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:57 am

Less money for 1st and 2nd in the 250 and 500 satellites is disturbing.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:10 am

I echo the approving sentiments of the previous posts. 2007 should be a fun year with a few different strategies being employed on draft day.

LT should still give the #1 slot a nice edge out of the gate but the gap will be reduced in "07" just like it was in "05" when Manning followed up his record setting year with an average Manning season.

My guess is LT's TD's drop to somewhere around his average (20-22). LJ should post similar #'s IMO but I'm not ready to endorse SJax or SA to the 20 TD club just yet. Maybe later...but not just yet.

Sorry for getting off the subject. I'm already excited about next season and I couldn't help myself. :D

[ January 05, 2007, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
Why no 3rr in the Ultimate leagues, but in all the other leagues. It will be. I just didn't update the Auction League Rules and the Ultimate League Rules before I left last night. STATS posted all of my 2007 changes faster than I thought they would. I'll post the new Auction League rules and Ultimate League rules today. Ultimate will have 3RR.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:24 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:
Less money for 1st and 2nd in the 250 and 500 satellites is disturbing. We caught a break in our contract last year when we added the Satellite Leagues, but since we did like 30+ leagues last year it became a huge project for STATS. There is now a more strident cost per satellite league to us and thus the need to stick with a 75-80 percent payback with the satellite leagues, rather than 80-83 percent. First place is still 6.5x your entry fee. Even the $100 satellite leagues now have a $110 entry fee as we at least need to break even with those.

Growth is good, but sometimes it comes with added expenses. That's where we are today with the NFFC Satellite Leagues, but the paybacks are still pretty good.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 am

I will post a separate thread with all of our changes soon. I'm still trying to update the site while also tackling several baseball issues. But this will all get done soon.

Rob is correct with the changes he noted from the main event rules link that is now live. Changes thus far:

1. Third place in each league has been raised from $500 to $1,000. Entry fee has also been increased from $1,250 to $1,300 for the main event, auction leagues and draft champions leagues, while the co-manager fee for all three has dropped from $100 to $50. Payouts for everything remains at 75%.

2. We are projecting for 364 teams for the main event this year. We have not sold out at 350 yet, so the overall prize structure is the same as past years. By increasing to 364, our payout is now exactly at 75%, whereas it was over 78% before the change. I feel extremely confident this year that we will go above 364 and the rules state we can go up to 32 leagues -- or 448 teams -- by extending the additional revenue by 75% to the overall prizes. I don't know exactly where I'd distribute that, but I think I'd start at second overall and work down. Still lots of potential there to make everyone happy.

3. Yes, league champs now must win h2h and total points or face a three-week league playoff for the remaining $2,500. I think this is fair and it will create great interest down the stretch. This is Gordon Gekko's suggestion from 2004 and I like it. The three weeks for total points should be fun. Just a note, you do note carry any weekly scoring average into that area; it's just three weeks, total points for the remaining $2,500.

4. 3RR will be used and we already have a 1-page story in our next issue of Fantasy Sports Magazine (baseball related content) about 3RR. We will let the world know about this in our publications, online (wait and see how!!) and more. 3RR/KDS will be a good thing for the NFFC, I'm convinced.

5. We are expanding to Tampa and I think a fourth city right now is another reason why I think we'll top 364 teams for the main event. The Tampa Convention Center will work for us.

I did not change the defensive scoring at this point. Baltimore averaged 15.3 points per game and Chicago average 15.0 ppg, while every other defense was 10 points or less. I will look at this scoring further, but to me this seemed appropriate for the value these defenses/special teams had in 2006.

That's it for now. I'm still tweaking, but it's time to get it on for 2007. No need to sit back and let the competitors get a jump on us. Come and join us!!!