Packers' McKenzie Wants Out

Tom Kessenich

Packers' McKenzie Wants Out

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 am

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Packers cornerback Mike McKenzie asked for a trade earlier this week, but Green Bay quickly denied the request.

``I can confirm I requested permission to seek a trade and they denied it immediately,'' agent Brian Parker told The Associated Press. He declined to comment about the reasons for the request, which he said he made Wednesday.

Mike Sherman, the Packers' coach and general manager, told The AP that he planned to speak with McKenzie about the matter.

``I don't want to say anything regarding Mike until I talk to him personally,'' Sherman said Saturday. ``He's a valuable member of our football team, someone I care about and someone I can always count on.''

McKenzie has never spoken publicly about a rift with the team or its coaching staff nor has he complained publicly about his contract.

Nobody is saying it, but the root of the rift might be over money.

Parker, Sherman and Andrew Brandt, the Packers' chief negotiator, met briefly during the NFL combine in Indianapolis in February.

McKenzie is entering the third season of a five-year, $17.1 million deal he signed in January 2002 that included a $3.5 million bonus. At the time, the contract was considered undervalued because McKenzie was still a year away from restricted free agency and he opted for the security of a long-term deal.

Parker was not McKenzie's agent at the time he signed the extension, which calls for base salaries of $2.75 million next season, $3.4 million in 2005 and $4 million in 2006 -- a considerable bargain for a shutdown cornerback of McKenzie's stature.

Usually not one to speak with the media, McKenzie took issue with the Packers' defensive scheme in their 20-17 loss to the Eagles in the playoffs. The Packers surrendered a first down on fourth-and-26 late in the fourth quarter that led to a game-tying field goal. After Green Bay lost in overtime, McKenzie questioned why the Packers weren't more aggressive defensively.

Ed Donatell was fired as defensive coordinator after that loss and secondary coach Bob Slowik was promoted to replace him.

McKenzie has been the Packers' starting left cornerback since being drafted in the third round in 1999. Last year, he had four interceptions, his highest total since he had six as a rookie, and 58 tackles. He broke up a team-high 20 passes.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich