My Take On The Top Rookies

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 24, 2004 10:21 am

I was fortunate to be invited to an exclusive NFLPA event this weekend in Los Angeles, the 2004 Reebok NFL Players Rookie Premiere. Basically it's a three-day photo shoot for the card manufacturers to get photographs of the top 32 NFL rookies so that they can get those images into early season releases. I've attended this event each of the last 10 years and have been able to interview each year's top rookies first-hand and get to know them a little better before they ever step foot on the NFL gridiron. It certainly has helped me evaluate the rookies in the past and it will help me again this year.

Here's my take on this year's rookie crop: This appears to be one of the most impressive group of skill position players I've seen since I started attending this event in 1995. There are big, physical wide receivers who look like they can make an immediate impact and the backs and tight ends could be big producers right away. I was most impressed with the physical ability of Kellen Winslow Jr. and Larry Fitzgerald, but guys like Ben Troupe, Ben Roethlisberger, Roy Williams and Steven Jackson also immediately stand out.

Okay, okay, so you know all about their sizes and weights. Who were the guys who seemed to have their heads on straight? Guys we don't have to worry about as "head cases"? That's easy.

Fitzgerald seems as grounded as could be as he has a great head on his shoulders. He even brought his dad to the event and he sat proudly up in the stands of the L.A. Coliseum, talking about his son whenever anyone asked about him. He's going to be an immediate hit.

I thought Tatum Bell, Steven Jackson, Julius Jones, Chris Perry and JP Losman were first-rate, and each talked about taking care of business before talking about starting roles and making an impact. Same with Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, even though all three will likely be starters at some point this season. Manning is 22 who looks like he's 12 and you wonder if this shy guy can handle the New York media. But deep down he seems to handle everything and believe me he was constantly giving interviews, doing extra things for Reebok, posing for more photos than anyone else and signing his name until his fingers turned blue and never complained about any of it. I think he will be fine, but he looks like Opie Taylor with a Giants' helmet on.

Winslow just stands apart with his physical skills as he is impressive. I wouldn't doubt if the Browns split him out wide at times and use him as a wideout. He has a different demeanor than the rest of the guys who were assembled for this event, but at times you can see he's just a fun-loving kid. He almost has this Raider mentality that he tries to showcase, when deep down he seems like a real good kid.

If Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Winslow, Rashaun Woods, Tatum Bell, Kevin Jones and Julius Jones don't make immediate impacts, I'll be very surprised. I'm not trying to create a hysteria over rookies because I know they can be a mixed bunch when it comes to fantasy football, but these guys look good and they all have great opportunities. And all of them seem grounded enough to work hard the rest of the way and not let any of this go to their heads.

Let's talk football, so ask anything you want about the top skill-position rookies and I'll try to give you my impression of them. It's time to start preparing for Draft Day and I've got the inside scoop on the rookies.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 27, 2004 5:40 am

Furthering the discussion, here is where the top rookies went in our recent KP Experts League draft (the results of which are in a thread also on this page)

RBs
Kevin Jones 3rd round 35th overall
Julius Jones 4:44
Tatum Bell 5:59
Steven Jackson 8:85
Greg Jones 9:99
Chris Perry 10:111

WRs
Larry Fitzgerald 8:87
Roy Williams 10:109
Rashaun Woods 13:145
Michael Clayton 15:175

QBs
None Drafted

TEs
Kellen Winslow 6:68
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu May 27, 2004 7:21 am

For another expert league take on where the rookies might go, check out:

http://www.collect.com/interest/article ... B&id=11131
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Jammer4ut

Post by Jammer4ut » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:20 pm

Hey, Greg. One player you didn't mention was Reggie Williams, WR form Jacksonville. With the rebirth of a healthy Fred Taylor, & emergence of Byron Leftwich, how much impact do you think Williams will have alongside Jimmy Smith, who also seems to be an ageless wonder? Also, I have the 1st pick in a Dynasty League draft, & can't decide who will be the bigger impact player; Kevin Jones or Kellen Winslow. I have good depth at RB, but virtually no TE. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jamie

[ June 15, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Jamie ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:24 pm

Reggie Williams was the only rookie I asked who REALLY understood fantasy football. In fact he said his dad has been playing for years. I asked him if his dad would draft him this year and he said, "oh yeah, that's for sure." Gotta like that.

Reggie Williams is big, strong and ultra confident. I think he will start and will have a good impact as a rookie. My only concern is that Jacksonville will continue to be conservative with Leftwich and won't throw deep often enough to take advantage of Williams' size. But in the long run, he will be very solid as a No. 1 wideout.

Winslow would be my choice. My goodness what a physical specimen. He has all the makings of an All-Pro if he keeps his head on straight. He was a bit moody at the rookie shoot, but deep down he looks like a good kid. I think the Browns will split him out wide and use him all over the field. He's going to be a stud, maybe not as a rookie, but definitely in a Dynasty League. He was unquestionably the most impressive rookie physically at the Rookie Photo Shoot.

Just my two cents. Hope it pays off.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:37 pm

I would have to agree. Winslow will be (dare I say) the new Tony Gonzales. You can get an impact player at a weak position. WRs can be had, there are several in this years rookie crop you should be able to grab in the second round if you relly needed a WR.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:31 am

I think Nag posted this on another site, but it's very true: Look for some middle-round wide receivers to bust through like Anquan Boldin did last year. There are a lot of guys who aren't as known as Larry Fitzgerald who could bust through this year. I was impressed by the size and composure of these guys:

Bernard Berrian, Bears, third round
Kerry Colbert, Panthers, second round
Devard Darling, Ravens, third round
Devery Henderson, Saints, second round
Derrick Hamilton, 49ers, third round

If I were competing in the Draft Masters League, I would keep an eye on these guys during training camp and maybe add a couple late in the draft because they could surprise if all goes right this year.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:43 am

One positive about Winslow is Garcia is adept at working the short- and medium-range passing game. And given the lack of a clear-cut No. 1 WR on the Browns, that should give Winslow more chances to produce as well. I think he ended up in a very good situation from a fantasy perspective.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich