F/A - Stecker - How Much?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:21 am

Yeah I hope so too. If the Jordan to the Raiders trade ever happens, I could be sunk. WR's won't keep me afloat forever.

Tamu - You've got James so I'm assuming you picked in the middle. How does the rest of your roster stack up? 52 is pretty good after 2 weeks.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:56 am

QB - Favre, Brees, Warner
RB - James, Henry, E. Smith, Duckett, R. Lee
WR - Horn, Price, Roy Williams, Bryant, Hilliard
TE - E. Johnson
K - Wilkins, G. Anderson
D - New England, Atlanta

3 starting rb's and solid depth everywhere except te as long as Brees and Warner don't get replaced. Not much out there at te but may go for a long shot this week that will pan out by Week 7. I had pick #8 and I'm a first time national player too, Indy. But after watching Greg "Fossilman" Raymer win the World Championship of Poker after qualifying on the internet, anyone can jump up and win this thing!!
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am

Indy,

Like you I went Wr, Wr, QB and didn't take a Rb until round 4. I had pick 14 in Chicago-4.

I went Owens, Holt, McNair and then got Suggs in Round 4. I am fortunate to be 2-0 with my Rbs getting me less than 10 points in the first two weeks and I'm averaging 124 points a week.

If you look at the teams that have 3 good RBs and what appear to be below-par receivers they are averaging more points than my 124 and your 115. This seemss to support what most believe that RB is the most important position, but with the 14th pick - if I were to have selected Rbs in the first two rounds I don't think I'd be averaging 124 a week through week 2.

In my case I have to decide whether Owens and Holt will get me more points on a consistant basis then D. Davis and R. Johnson or a K Barlow - all who were available to me in the second round, on who I passed.

Time will tell, it will certainly be a learning experience for next year.

John
Johnny Football

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:05 am

John, I agree with you on the learning experience as it was very interesting to see what happens to you when you have picks in different spots. The picks I had in the three leagues were #2, #8, and #10 and there was a world of difference in all three. What I would be interested in going back and looking at is where the league leaders drafted. I know the team leading our league drafted first and went Holt/Ward after drafting LT in the first. As a matter of fact, the top 3 teams in our league drafted only 1 starting rb in the first 3 rounds. But the next 4 teams have 3 starting rb's and it will be interesting to see how this will play out.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:37 pm

It will be nice to have a year under our belt next year John and Tamu. The free agent bidding is also panning out to be a HUGE learning experience.
I guess there is a small ray of hope with all the fallen RB's after only 2 weeks. Last years WCOFF winner picked up Westbrook and Boldin via F/A.
I think I'm going to go around 450 for Stecker. I doubt that will fly, but it's worth a shot, if only for a couple weeks point boost.

Tamu - I think barring injuries - you have a great shot to win it all. I really like your depth especially now that R.Williams is the man. Detroit has a nice schedule against the pass. Could be some big point weeks ahead. I'll let you know how the bidding turns out in Chicago 3.
Good luck fellas - it might as well be a 1st timer that wins this thing.

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:43 am

Agreed - we will all learn alot from this year and apply it to next, but I'm 2-0, averaging 124 a week without any production from my RBs who (if not this week) are returning to the lineup.

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel.
With the exception of one, perhaps two, weeks the schedule Gods have been good to me as well.

We'll see.

John
Johnny Football

brad_brown

Post by brad_brown » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:24 am

I think the story in the difference between RBs and WRs is the gap in scoring and what level it comes at.

For instance, once the first 30 RBs are gone there is a huge dropoff in the points they score in comparison to the points that the RBs that are 31-60 will score (this is excluding injuries of course where a backup will become starter).

Wide Receivers are a different story though. The top 5-10 Receivers will score good points for you but then the next tier of receivers probably goes from 11-60 (obviously some slightly better than others but only by a couple of points per week). And with the receivers it's much easier for the 60th rated receiver to pull out a big week here and there than it is for the 60th ranked RB to do it.

Basically I think that the dropoff in points scored at the Receiver position is not as steep as the dropoff in RB points. So your loss in getting a receiver in the 6th round instead of the 3rd round has a lot less impact than trying to get a 6th round RB instead of a 3rd round RB.

I think that is the major thing to look at in the RB-WR debate. There are well over 50 receivers that are serviceable in your lineup but only about 30 running backs.
Uber Wizdom / Chicago League #3 / Pick #8
Chicago MickeyWhippers / NFFC Mid-Season A / Pick #6

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 am

I agree with you 100%, Brad.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place

Tkats96

Post by Tkats96 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:35 am

For the H2H competition part watch teams with 3 RBs weather the byes weeks better. If you have two in the lineup each time a third is on bye that should pummel a 5th WR that must be used to cover the top 4 WRs on byes, plus the hole the 2 weeks that your RBs are on bye. Of course WRs do go off at times making up for a lot in an instant. However look for RB teams to prove a bit stronger during the bye period.

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:21 am

Stecker will go for $750+ in most leagues.....so you boys better bring your checkbooks to the Waiver Wire!

Unless you want a STARTING RB in a hi-stakes league...someone who will get carries and catches, do not, I repeat, do not bid LESS than $750
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again