Experts League

Diesel

Experts League

Post by Diesel » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:57 pm

Can someone tell me what constitutes an "Expert" in Fantasy Football? I see that there were a lot of Expert League Mock Drafts and am curious where the line is that you cross over and end up an "Expert"?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Dyv

Experts League

Post by Dyv » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:55 pm

I would say that someone who makes a living playing fantasy football should be called an "expert"
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

johnbriganti

Experts League

Post by johnbriganti » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:19 am

Are there people out there that make a living playing fanatsy football? Or do you mean they work in some way in association with the NFL, or Fanball, or FantasyGuru???

Regardless, I think I understand (and agree) with what Diesel was insinuating - Nobody is an expert at Fantasy sports, especially football.
Luck (i.e Terrel Ownes being giventhat TD in last week's Monday Night game) and Injury can not be foreseen or planned and therefore nobody can really be called an expert.

Another example, although perhaps more of a stretch - WSOP! How come the "so-called" EXPERTS are not at the final table year in and year out?

It's because an expert is supposed to be able to account and plan for every aspect of their trade. Nobody can account for luck or plan for injury and therefore everyone in the ring has a shot at winning.

Having said that - I agree there are more experienced players than others but I wouldn't call them experts.

John
Johnny Football

Dyv

Experts League

Post by Dyv » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:06 am

How come Tiger doesn't win every week? Or Vijay? Or whomever you feel is the best golfer in the world?

How come the best sprinter in the world doesn't win every event they race?

How come every movie done by (name of actor or actress here) isn't fantastic? Water World meet Tin Cup, etc.

I believe there are people who make a living in the fantasy games industry. Make a living at PLAYING the fantasy games? Stakes just aren't high enough at this point and seasons last too long to warrant it. Poker can be played in a series of 2-3 days and produce millions.

Will fantasy games ever get to the level where you'll 'buy in' to a league for $5,000 and league prizes will be $50,000-$75,000 ? Will someone be able to buy into 3-4 leagues and win 1-2 of them and make a living doing that? Sounds far fetched, but back in the day when Poker started it wasn't 2000 entrants in the WSOP... Doyle Brunson won his bracelets against a small roomful of people...

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Walla Walla

Experts League

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:10 pm

Dyv, I would say that someone who makes a living playing fantasy football should be called an "expert".

Dyv, I have to disagree. While there are many out there that could be called experts not everyone in the industry is. In these days of internet any one can put up a site and sell thier picks. That doesn't make them an expert. I remember talking with you in Las Vegas and laughing about the expert drafts that were done there. Terrible picks made by the some of the so called experts. Most of the so called experts write off they're entry fee as an expense for taxes. Thy're not really laying anything on the line.

JerseyPaul

Experts League

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Okay, some daffynitions:

An expert is somebody who knows much more than the average person on a particular subject. There can ne levels of "expert" or expertise, like a "leading expert" or "well regarded expert" versus "self-styled expert".

Someone who makes a living doing something is a "professional"

A "professional may be "expert" or not. An "expert" might or might not be a "professional".

It's better to be an "expert" if you chose to be a "professional" but that's not always true. Dennis Miller was a "professional" football announcer/analyst but certainly not a football "expert". Didn't work out very well.