NFFC FAAB Deadline Update

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:45 am

Earlier in the off-season I did discuss possible changes to our FAAB deadlines due to the earlier Thursday scheduled games. We did look at possibly changing to two FAAB deadlines (Wednesday and Friday) or maybe just keeping FAAB on Friday's during the bye weeks. But after looking over all of the programming options, the best way to handle FAAB in 2011 is to keep it like we have in past years with an earlier Wednesday deadline during the bye weeks. That starts in Week 10 this year (Nov. 10th) and will continue through Week 13.

Thus for 2011, the last four weeks of Free Agent Bidding will have Wednesday deadlines. That means that Nov. 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th will be the FAAB deadlines for the NFFC and no pickups can be made during those weeks after the Wednesday deadlines. No FAAB pickups are made in the NFFC during Weeks 14-16.

We will continue to explore other options for future years, but there are pros and cons to all situations. The Thursday games are not ideal for fantasy play, but it's also apparent that they're not going away anytime soon. It's very possible that they could be part of every week in the NFL starting in 2013 or 2014, so we should plan for a better solution. But for now, the NFFC will run FAAB just like it has since the Thursday games were introduced a few years ago. Good luck all and plan accordingly. We'll update the rules on each league page to make sure they are consistent with this announcement. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:31 am

After the "balloon full of meat" that hit the pavement this past weekend, I can't even imagine making pickup decisions on Wednesday nights. Yes, we've played under these rules for the past few seasons, but it was far from ideal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE address this situation for 2012.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
After the "balloon full of meat" that hit the pavement this past weekend, I can't even imagine making pickup decisions on Wednesday nights. Yes, we've played under these rules for the past few seasons, but it was far from ideal.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE address this situation for 2012. The options are:

a) Wednesday night FAAB deadline during Thursday games

b) Friday night FAAB deadline during Thursday games with early game players not being allowed to be picked up.

c) Two deadlines: Wednesday for only Thursday players and Friday during Thursday games for remaining players. Cut players could NOT go back into free agent pool.

d) Two deadlines: Wednesday for only Thursday players and Friday during Thursday games for remaining players. Cut players COULD go back into free agent pool and be bid on Friday.

I'm not saying we could do d), but I'm putting these possible options out there. I think there are drawbacks to each. Feel free to post what you think would work best going forward. I don't think any contest is doing it any differently this year, but going forward I'd like an ideal situation for most owners if the NFL does expand its Thursday night lineup. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 am

a & c are the only options that makes any sense and if people don't like a....

[ September 20, 2011, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: mattjb ]

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:59 am

I say just leave it friday only,putting more emphasis on your ability to draft and manage your bench spots

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:03 am

option A is by far the easiest thing to do

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:19 am

I would prefer option C and don't know why you would even consider option D. Players cut should always be required to sit at least one week and not become available until the current slate of games is complete.

I think option "C" gives the players, who are paying thousands of dollars, the greatest chance to maximize their potential each week. I do not think the provider should do what is easiest for themselves or the player at this level.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:22 am

I like option C too.

But what about the players who were picked up on Wed. being dropped on Fri.? I would hope that wouldn't be allowed. Essentially, I like that we can only swap out each roster spot ONCE per week.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:44 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE address this situation for 2012. Agreed, anything beats FAAB on Wednesday only.

ANy chance you can re-consider for this season Greg?

Even going with Friday only would be a better option. A day and a half after games finish isn't enough time to assess injury situations given the timing of info from most teams.

For next season, option C.

[ September 20, 2011, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

renman

Post by renman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 am

Didn't someone in the past mention the idea of having a "in case of emergency" player acquisition option after the faab runs? Where teams can pick up a player that no one else wanted , after faab bid were run Friday, but would be charged a $10 premium for it?

Wasn't that mentioned last year? This gives people who run into some unforseen issue that happens AFTER Friday the chance to make a desperation move.