#1 QB this year?

Gordon Gekko II

#1 QB this year?

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:48 am

Are most of us missing who the #1 QB is gonna be this year?

The past few years, the Chargers looked to “run” first. Now, with LT allegedly “losing a half-step”, they appear to be transitioning to a “pass” first offense. Take a look at Phillip Rivers last 6 games (including 2 playoff games). His numbers…
1,579 passing yards
14 td’s
3 int

Over the course of a 16 week season, that translates to:
4,211 passing yards
37 td’s
8 int
424 NFFC points :eek:

BTW, in those same last 6 games, Tomlinson had 6 td’s, so it’s not like Rivers was robbing rushing td’s to pay passing td’s. If he did, Rivers numbers would be even better!
:eek:

trueblue

#1 QB this year?

Post by trueblue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:02 am

IMHO

i don't think you can go wrong with either brady or brees.
i also feel with green bay's improvements on defense AND if they get can establish a running game, Mr. Rodgers is capable of putting up some MVP like numbers this year.

bill

boutrous11

#1 QB this year?

Post by boutrous11 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:15 am

If the Chargers had a true # 1 receiver, I could be on board with this thinking. I don't think Gates/Jackson/?/LT can produce the numbers that = the # 1 fantasy qb.

I like Rivers, don't get me wrong. Just not to finish # 1 overall.

GOD Loves You

#1 QB this year?

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:36 am

Not sure how you can say they are transitioning to a pass first team when Rivers attempted 1 more pass per game.

He finally started completing passes, hence the major jump in yards and touchdowns.

LT was hobbled during the majority of the games you referenced, if he's healthy, there's no way Rivers comes close to those prorated numbers.

I've watched just about every game Rivers has started and would never promote him as the #1 fantasy QB. Top 5, sure, but there's no way he ends the season #1.

Take a look at last years overall numbers and the previous two, find a happy median and this is where he will finish this season.

Something like:
3,700 yards
26 touchdowns
12 interceptions

Big if here, IF Matt Schaub plays all 16 games, he's the #1 QB this year.

But it will probably be Brees again, simply from the amount of passes he's going to throw. His only downfall could be an improved defense; he might not have to pass as much.

Most talented is Aaron Rodgers. :cool: It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him the #1 QB for the next few seasons.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Gordon Gekko II

#1 QB this year?

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
I've watched just about every game Rivers has started and would never promote him as the #1 fantasy QB. Top 5, sure, but there's no way he ends the season #1.

Big if here, IF Matt Schaub plays all 16 games, he's the #1 QB this year.
Patrick – I’m surprised you didn’t name Stafford or Culpepper the #1 QB?

As for Rivers, if LT’s descent continues this year (as seen by owners in the latest adp report), Rivers is a LOCK for 30 td’s and will probably settle in the low to mid 30’s.

Let's see if Rivers plays 16 games, he has no chance of being the #1 QB. If Schaub plays 16 games, he IS the #1 qb??? Are you smok'n again Patrick ;)

Old School

#1 QB this year?

Post by Old School » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 am

Originally posted by GK:
...as the most ardent of SNAKEfollowers know here, he has been a HUGE advocator of Rivers but to answer your Q here the answer is categorically and unequivocally Handsome Tommy...SNAKE unequivocally Handsome Tommy.?

How about the Undoubtedly Ugly Brett?

GOD Loves You

#1 QB this year?

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:
Patrick – I’m surprised you didn’t name Stafford or Culpepper the #1 QB?
[/QUOTE]You've been checking out my DC teams?
I've drafted both of those guys in a few DC's and have Stafford on just about every team. Stafford is a top 15 QB this year. :eek:

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
Let's see if Rivers plays 16 games, he has no chance of being the #1 QB. If Schaub plays 16 games, he IS the #1 qb??? Are you smok'n again Patrick ;) Gotta go out on a limb sometimes. Do I really believe Schaub will be #1, no, but there's a chance.

I'm a Chargers fan and I've watched the bad play of Rivers too often to believe last season was the new norm.

I think Houston, if healthy, could have one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. A.J., Slaton, Walter, Daniels and a nice breakout guy, David Anderson, could cause a lot of matchup problems for defenses.

Schaub is my "sleeper" choice for #1. Rodgers is my "hoping" choice and Brees is the "money" choice and Brady doesn't even enter the equation. By the way, GK, you have been removed from the Christmas card list.

If I was tokin again, I would be saying something like, "David Garrard has a chance to be #1 with the breakout receiver, Troy Williamson!"
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Robert Edwards

#1 QB this year?

Post by Robert Edwards » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 am

Brady is in the best position to claim (reclaim) the top spot. Having Moss and Welker is a big reason, but WR touchdowns will be down this year as I think the Refs will go nuts on this Offensive Pass Interference iniative (yes, I am loving this "emphasis" on WR in the early rounds...you guys go ahead...I'll catch up!). Watson getting out of the doghouse and taking the top spot back from Baker will help. Thirty passing TD's may lead the league this year (with maybe two others getting between 25-30) and Brady will be the man. Other concern is the line, which is good, but getting older and allowed 48 sacks last year.

[ August 28, 2009, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Phat Bustards ]
Wayne Edwards

The "other" Wayne