Fantasy Flashback

Diesel

Fantasy Flashback

Post by Diesel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 am

I'm feeling empty, knowing there isn't any football for a few months. I thought a thread about Fantasy players from the past would make us reminise, and give some of us diehards a quick-fix, for now. Throw some old names up here. Whether they were stars, busts, funny names...Anything for a throwback fantasy thread.

Some wr's that I've had on my roster through the years: Andre Reed,Andre Rison, OJ McDuffie, Webster Slaughter, Haywood Jeffries, Alvin Harper...

Some rb's ...Tim Biakabatuka, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Earnest Byner, Keith Byars(I love the fullbacks...lol), Jerald Sowell, Ronnie Harmon, Marcus Allen(as a Chief), Rodney Hampton...

QB's who lasted a minute in the NFL...Browning Nagle, Dave Brown, Danny Kanell, Akili Smith...

Anyone want to throw some names around? How about some tightends? I know there are a couple of players like me, itching to talk some football.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

hammer

Fantasy Flashback

Post by hammer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 am

WRs:

Sterling Sharpe was ridiculous for a short time;

Irving Fryar had a couple good years when he went to the Eagles;

There was a 4-5 year stretch where I had the Jags' Jimmy Smith in all my leagues... that guy was the model of consistency;

Terrence Mathis was always a great late round pick;

RBs:

If you ever found yourself hurting at RB, Larry Centers was always a good plug-in;

For a brief period, Natrone Means was fun to watch in SanDiego;

How about Robert Edwards in his rookie season for the Pats? That guy looked great until that freak flag-football accident in the sand;

QBs:

Not much to say, except I have fond memories of watching the broken-assembly-line of signal callers the Eagles trotted out after Randall Cunningham went down for the year in the first game against Green Bay ('91?) They were favored to win the superbowl that year because of that ridiculous defense, but when Randall went down they used 4-5 QBs... the one I remember most was Pat Ryan, an ex-construction worker whose passes looked like punts

D:

Kansas City in their heyday was crazy good... people would spend 20% and more of their auction cap on that D back in the day

Diesel

Fantasy Flashback

Post by Diesel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 am

Hammer, great name drops. Robert Edwards! I totally forgot about him. What a disappointment for him. He had major potential.

How about a couple of guys that helped make Chris Berman's sportscast so popular, like Marion BUTTS...or BAM! Morris, or Ben "Winter" Coates...or the Packer that was really making a name for himself as a solid tightend, until he had sex with an underage girl(Mark Chmura). The NFL made sure noone ever spoke of his name again.

Diesel

Fantasy Flashback

Post by Diesel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:11 am

GK, I agree. I was a HUGE Sharpe fan. So much, that when Shannon came around, it was very hard for me to believe that he could be anywhere near as good as his brother. If Sterling didn't hurt his back/neck, they would have had some of the best stats any brothers every accumulated.

[ February 18, 2010, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]

sportsbettingman

Fantasy Flashback

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 am

I once bought into the hype surrounding the planned use of TB RB Mike Alsott that I selected him #1 overall! :rolleyes:

My friends still give me **** about that one to this day!
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

boutrous11

Fantasy Flashback

Post by boutrous11 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 am

a backfield of Erictt Rhett and Derek Loville did me good one year.....

Diesel

Fantasy Flashback

Post by Diesel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:55 am

Lance, I'm always a FB drafter in fantasy football. I was the president of the Jerald Sowell Club here in the NFFC the first 2 years. Lol So I loved Alstott and Daryl Johnson and Larry Centers. But FIRST? Lol. I'm gonna give you $hit along with your friends too!

Boutrous, to this day, I can't believe Erictt Rhett didn't go further than he did. If I remember correctly, Rhett complained about his contract after one very good season, and threatened to hold out. Tampa never let him be the focal point of their running game again, and he faded away. Rhett was his own worst enemy.

Diesel

Fantasy Flashback

Post by Diesel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

GK, did he ask you if you wanted paper or plastic? . Or was he looking dapper? Curious how he turned out.