tips on 14 team league and FA bidding??

bill

Post by bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:54 pm

For those of you who made the transition from a 12 team league to 14, what were some of the things you learned about the main difference in drafting strategy.
Also, I am looking forward to trying the bidding process for free agents. Would someone share what you learned the first year you tried it. For example, I have no idea how high of a bid usually wins the above average free agents.

Thank you!!!

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm

you are competing against 2 additional teams in a 14 team format. bid that extra buck or two to ensure u get the player you really want.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Originally posted by bill:
For those of you who made the transition from a 12 team league to 14, what were some of the things you learned about the main difference in drafting strategy.
Also, I am looking forward to trying the bidding process for free agents. Would someone share what you learned the first year you tried it. For example, I have no idea how high of a bid usually wins the above average free agents.

Thank you!!! If you were a smart owner, you would search last year's free agent bids to get a feel for what players went for. You might use something like "week 5 FAAB bids".

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm

bill, draft strategy is very different as you will likely leave a 14-team draft with 1 weak spot on your roster.

With that said, I'd suggest you pick where you "want" to be weak and draft accordingly.

As for FAAB, what I learned is that for massive injuries to a starting RB/WR, you'll bid $500+ for one player to get him.

Those that can be patient, will be rewarded later in free agency. Much like those that are patient in auctions will be rewarded later with exceptional value.

Good luck!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

bill

Post by bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks for your input.

14 team league:
18 position roster = 252 total players

12 team league
20 position roster= 240 players

The leagues I have been playing in had 180 on the rosters. Wow! The free agent lists are going to have about 70 players fewer than I am used to seeing. There were almost always a few decent free agents available each week. Finding a free agent gem will be a lot more challenging! Looking forward to give this a try.
Knowing how thin the free agent pool will be makes the draft feel even more crucial than I had thought.
With so many reserve spots, are their usually any starting QB's left in the free agent pool? Do many owners draft 6 or 7 RB's and deplete the RB position?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks for your input.

14 team league:
18 position roster = 252 total players

12 team league
20 position roster= 240 players

The leagues I have been playing in had 180 on the rosters. Wow! The free agent lists are going to have about 70 players fewer than I am used to seeing. There were almost always a few decent free agents available each week. Finding a free agent gem will be a lot more challenging! Looking forward to give this a try.
Knowing how thin the free agent pool will be makes the draft feel even more crucial than I had thought.
With so many reserve spots, are their usually any starting QB's left in the free agent pool? Do many owners draft 6 or 7 RB's and deplete the RB position? It is more challenging Bill.

I play in other 12 team high stakes contests, and have played fantasy football in "contests/public leagues" since 1995, and the NFFC is BY FAR the best of them.

Outstanding customer service, 3RR, KDS, good people on the boards, etc., etc.

Jump in, you won't regret it!!! :D

If you go to Vegas, first beer is on me (and the next 6 will be on Greg!) ;)

[ July 24, 2008, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:22 am

Thank you!!! Bill,

Do both LEAGUES. If you don't you will be pissed at yourself for a year. Remember when the season ended, and you remember how long of a wait it is until the next draft. That feeling will happen the second the NFFC and NBC draft will end, so do both.

14 team League is way hard, no question about it. But not really anything you won't get use to. I had my worst season in FF last year my first year in the 14 team League. So you may find it tough going in year 2008, but you may just win 100,000. Hint draft in Orlando, I hear there's weak players there. ;) So which city you going to draft in?

Good Luck,

John

Yoda's S*x Slave

Post by Yoda's S*x Slave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:14 am

Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:
you will likely leave a 14-team draft with 1 weak spot on your roster.

With that said, I'd suggest you pick where you "want" to be weak and draft accordingly.

if subscribe to ultimateffcheatsheet,,receive this insight will i?
HE LIKES TO USE THE FORCE

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:44 am

Originally posted by Yoda's S*x Slave:
quote:Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:

[/QUOTE]and more! :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 am

Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Yoda's S*x Slave:
quote:Originally posted by UltimateFFCheatsheets:

[/QUOTE]and more! :D
[/QUOTE]Agree, but only if you get Mr.Q back. :D