Who gets the points?

Tom Kessenich

Who gets the points?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:48 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Situation #2:
Under the DEFENSE/SPECIAL TEAMS section of the rules it says:
All special teams and defensive points are awarded to the team responsible, not the individual player.

One question: If the Ravens line-up to kick a field goal, and M.Stover fakes it and runs it in for a 10 yard TD, how are pts awarded? 7pts for the Ravens D? OR 6pts for the Ravens D and 1 pt for Stover? OR only 6pts for the Ravens D? In this scenario we would view Stover as becoming an offensive player and would award him six points for an offensive touchdown. Yes, we realize he is a member of the Ravens' special teams, but under our rules we will view this to be an offensive play, not a special teams play. The same would hold true if there was a fake or botched field-goal attempt and the holder threw a touchdown pass. In that instance, the holder would be credited with the points for the TD pass and whoever caught the TD would receive six points for the touchdown reception.

[ July 15, 2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Who gets the points?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:57 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
In this scenario we would view Stover as becoming an offensive player and would award him six points for an offensive touchdown. I'm a bit surprised, but at least this has been addressed now, as opposed to later in the season, after it's already happened. So in my example, Stover would get 6pts for the TD and 1pt for the rushing. Thanks.

[ July 15, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Who gets the points?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:01 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Now boys act nice from here on out or I'm sending you all to the timeout room. I'm trying REAL hard to make a greater % of "football-related" posts, as opposed to "other" posts. I don't know if it will work out though...
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Who gets the points?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:08 am

You're doing just fine on this thread, Gordon. Keep it going.

Diesel, like Tom said, we agree that's the way the NFL scored the McCardell situation. But it doesn't make sense in our book and we'll try to clarify these situations ahead of time. But every scoring play needs to be credited to someone in the NFFC and in this case McCardell scored the TD when he was on the field as an offensive player. He deserved the six points. That's just our viewpoint and the way we're writing the rules for our game.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Who gets the points?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:13 am

Just an FYI, we'll be making the necessary additions to our rules so that it will be clearly stated for everyone to see. Again, we anticipate some people thinking we should probably handle certain things differently, but since we're clearly stating everything ahead of time, we trust that will reduce the number of questions and/or potential controversies later.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Who gets the points?

Post by Diesel » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Diesel, like Tom said, we agree that's the way the NFL scored the McCardell situation. But it doesn't make sense in our book and we'll try to clarify these situations ahead of time. But every scoring play needs to be credited to someone in the NFFC and in this case McCardell scored the TD when he was on the field as an offensive player. He deserved the six points. That's just our viewpoint and the way we're writing the rules for our game. [/QB]I agree with the way you guys chose to score it. McCardell is an offensive WR, and his owner should have received the TD.

[ July 15, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

DIESEL02

Who gets the points?

Post by DIESEL02 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:08 pm

I just would like to get a clarification as to what has been said in the last few posts....in regards to change of possession due to an interception or fumble and the result being a touchdown....

Are you (Greg or Tom) saying that as long as the player starts the play as an offensive player (ex. McCardell) and the defense is on the field (ex.Indy def.)..that is how the scoring will be reflected...regardless if there are multiple fumbles and changes of possession...

Also in some rare occasions offensive players do lineup to block punts or fg's... they will be considered defensive players in any case that they recover a turnover and score..correct ?

Thanks, Eddy
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"

Tom Kessenich

Who gets the points?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:26 am

Originally posted by DIESEL02:
Are you (Greg or Tom) saying that as long as the player starts the play as an offensive player (ex. McCardell) and the defense is on the field (ex.Indy def.)..that is how the scoring will be reflected...regardless if there are multiple fumbles and changes of possession...

Yes. Since McCardell is an offensive player we will be awarding him the six points for the TD in that instance. No matter how many change of possessions there may be, no offensive player will become a defensive player and vice versa.

Also in some rare occasions offensive players do lineup to block punts or fg's... they will be considered defensive players in any case that they recover a turnover and score..correct ?

Thanks, Eddy That would be credited as a special teams touchdown, not an individual score. So if Keenan McCardell blocked a FG and returned it for a TD, the Tampa Bay special teams would receive the points, not McCardell.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dyv

Who gets the points?

Post by Dyv » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:28 am

Following up with Stover fake FG...

You're saying that Stover gets the TD, not the special teams?

So, whoever has him entered as kicker also gets a rushing TD and yardage for their kicker?

Don't care - just want to understand.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Greg Ambrosius

Who gets the points?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:57 am

Yup, Dyv. And if it's a fake field goal and he throws for a TD, he gets the 6 points and the passing yardage. We are going to explain this fully in the rules and try to avoid any confusion during the season. Whether people agree with our rules interpretation or not, at least it will be fully explained for everyone and the scoring should be precise.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius