Dumb Question? Why not 2 QBs?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:55 pm

Richie, I apologize for the delayed response but I was at a family wedding this weekend and promised my family two days of full attention. I was a good boy and left the Message Boards alone even though my hotel had high-speed internet access. The fact that the bar was right next to the business center probably helped, but overall I would like to report that my family was proud of the ol' dad.

Now I've said goodbye to them for the next three weeks and it's nothing but NFFC from here on out!!!

Here's the answer to your questions:
1) We're at about 200 overall and over 150 for the NFFC. That's FULLY PAID signups. The reason I hate to post our actual numbers is that everyone sees them differently. Is 150 FULLY PAID NFFC members good or bad? Personally, I want more right now, but only Tom and I know how many people we've talked to in the last month who have guaranteed us that they will be in. I don't blame anyone for waiting until the last minute to sign up, but it makes it tough on all of us to judge exactly how many leagues we'll finish with.

We had 195 entrants for baseball's $100,000 grand prize and we GUARANTEED it despite creating a prize structure that was set up for 300 teams. So do the math and you can see where we need to land to keep the prize structure at $200,000. I think you can see we are already at a place that means baseball's prize structure is a given, so let's keep the signups coming and we'll see what happens.

I'm just trying to be honest and maybe that's a bad thing. But we feel confident that if all the fence sitters come with us, we'll finish at a level that will guarantee our current prize structure and yet still give you better odds than 602:1 to win it all. That's just being honest.

2) Why did we make it 14 teams? You can blame or thank me on this as the game concept was my idea. First of all, I knew 14 teams was unique and would present a new challenge to all those fantasy football die-hards out there who were already in 12-team leagues. I think you're seeing WCOFF guys jump in because they like this challenge and it's different than the WCOFF. I also didn't feel that an 11-week regular season was long enough to determine a regular season champion. I just felt a 13-week regular season and three weeks of playoffs was a better test of determining the best team. For $1,250, I thought a 13-week regular season was more representative for what you were paying for.

I think the NFFC format is unique, challenging and enjoyable. It will give you your money's worth of competition and fun, that's for sure. By the number of paid signups we have already, I think others agree.

Richie, I hope you decide to enter the NFFC and I'd love to talk with you about it (call me at 715-445-4612, ext. 284#), but if not I wish you all the best in all of your leagues. I won't sell you a bill of goods I can't deliver, so there's no B.S. in this sales pitch. You now know how many FULLY PAID guys we have in this contest and we'll continue to build from that. Join us and be part of an event/contest that will just continue to grow and grow in future years.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:02 pm

Bernie, your original question about 2 QBs is a good one. The Draft 2003 last year had a $5,000 entry fee and a grand prize of $75,000 (they finished with only 36 participants), and they allowed the Flex position to be either a QB, RB, WR or TE. Obviously, your backup QB was used the majority of the time for the Flex position, which really took some of the strategy out of the starting lineup. Two QBs were also being drafted in the first 3-4 rounds, which was different.

We kicked around the idea of opening the Flex position to QB, RB, WR or TE, but in the end felt it took strategy away from our game, rather than added to it. It's certainly an option in future years, but for now I like our 10-player starting lineup the way it is.

Keep kicking those ideas out as all discusssions about the rules are good ones.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:29 pm

Bernie, if two qb's is what you are used to, check out the Draftmasters league. I got into both the NFFC and the Draftmasters for that reason as I'm more used to leagues with the Draftmasters scoring rules. And being in NYC won't put you out any money except for the league itself except for earnings lost taking off that Friday.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:31 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
I got into both the NFFC and the Draftmasters for that reason as I'm more used to leagues with the Draftmasters scoring rules. How bout the auction? It'll be fun!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:40 am

I need that time to do my gambling in Vegas. My wife doesn't let me out of the house often enough so when she does I have to take advantage of it.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:21 am

Greg - Thanks for the quick response and putting things into perspective. I'll be in touch with you soon, and I'm trying to get a few friends into this league. You can count me in for the NY draft, as I have given up flying about 8 years ago. NYC is a tad over an hour drive from where I'm at, so the site is perfect. I was a silent partner in the WCOFF for the last 2 years, but we decided to back out this year. As for the 14 team leagues, I guess I'll just have to add Todd Pinkston to my cheat sheet this year. Thanks again and talk to you soon.
Richie
Grid Reapers
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:28 am

Richie, just a reminder that if you have some friends who are interested in their own teams, we are offering a $100 referral for each team that would sign up. Just a little something extra to keep in mind.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich