Can this FA drop be allowed?

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:39 am

The WCOFB plan was a disaster. Don't even think about going there.

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:40 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
This Friday, I want to drop that bum D.Davis. he is single-handedly costing us points every week. It's bad enough that he is hurt, but when he continues to start games and THEN gets hurt, that is the worst. He gets 2 or 3 pts and then disappears. sorry for the vent, i'm pissed I'm sorry about your woes Gordon but NO WAY can you drop Davis this early. I don't know who the top 3 teams in your league are or who holds the upper hand in F/A right now. If one of the top teams has the most cap left, this could REALLY change the game. I know you're ripped about Davis right now but think about the start he had. If he gets healthy in a few weeks and begins to produce once again, it could put some lucky owner over the top. Some teams have carried Dayne,Fargas,S.Jackson etc.. on their rosters all year hoping for 1/2 the production you've gotten from Davis so far. Bench him if you must, but I don't agree with an outright cut. [/QUOTE]
Johnny Football

johnbriganti

Post by johnbriganti » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:40 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
This Friday, I want to drop that bum D.Davis. he is single-handedly costing us points every week. It's bad enough that he is hurt, but when he continues to start games and THEN gets hurt, that is the worst. He gets 2 or 3 pts and then disappears. sorry for the vent, i'm pissed I'm sorry about your woes Gordon but NO WAY can you drop Davis this early. I don't know who the top 3 teams in your league are or who holds the upper hand in F/A right now. If one of the top teams has the most cap left, this could REALLY change the game. I know you're ripped about Davis right now but think about the start he had. If he gets healthy in a few weeks and begins to produce once again, it could put some lucky owner over the top. Some teams have carried Dayne,Fargas,S.Jackson etc.. on their rosters all year hoping for 1/2 the production you've gotten from Davis so far. Bench him if you must, but I don't agree with an outright cut. [/QUOTE]I'm an owner with Dayne in Chicago League 4 who hoped he'd split carries or just be a goalline back. I'd like to have Davis on my team
Johnny Football

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:47 am

Gordon, if the owner only wanted to drop that one player, it would be obvious why he wanted to do it. Since he needs to have 18 players at all times, he'd have to pick up another player. So we'd watch this transaction, but obviously nobody can just drop a star player and allow other owners in his league to benefit from that stupidity. We won't let it happen, in fairness to all the other competitors in other leagues.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, other than to let all owners know that we won't allow teams to drop superstars because they're having bad seasons. There is a consolation bowl for non-playoff teams and everyone should continue to try to improve their teams throughout the year because maybe those first half duds will finish strong and lead them to the $2,500 check in the Consolation Bowl.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:15 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
obviously nobody can just drop a star player and allow other owners in his league to benefit from that stupidity. We won't let it happen, in fairness to all the other competitors in other leagues. I agree with that in principle. I guess the key word is *star* and who that applies to. What if someone drops S.Morris, J.Wells, or M.Bennett this week? Bennett was already dropped in at least one league last week or two weeks ago. Not trying to create friction here, subjective rulings always require questions.

i glad everyone else thinks D.Davis is a "star". By looking at his 2.9 yards/carry season average, his 3.2 pts in week 3, 0 pts in week 4, 2.5 pts in week 6, and injury history (both last year and this year), i guess i missed it.

maybe those first two games of 20+ will spur me to keep him the rest of the year.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:33 am

You are correct Gordon that this is subjective, which means it's not perfect. But it's being subjectively done by two guys who feel they know a little bit about fantasy football and by two guys who will work together on this, just like we did in baseball. I still think a subjective rule is better than a hard-fast rule like the WCOFB did, which handcuffs owners who are saddled with bad early picks.

You keep Tom and I honest each week with the cuts and I promise we'll be on top of it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tkats96

Post by Tkats96 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:02 am

I find it hard to believe in this type competition that anyone has a good enough team that dropping Domanick Davis or Travis Henry would benefit them. Tavis Henry has sucked all year YES, but still he is a RB with potential multiple touches and should McGahee get hurt would clearly have this job unchallenged again (not like McGahee has never been hurt). Dom Davis however is the starter that unfortunantely got banged up during a game twice (in the NFL it happens). If anyone thinks Jonathan Wells will keep the job over a healthy Davis they wasted 1250 dollars and I got a bidge for sale in downtown Indianapolis over the beautiful Lake Michigan. Wells once had the job that Davis then took from him rather eaisly I might add.

You could allow such players to fall into a player purgatory that they may not return from. This would allow said owners to make such foolish decisions and not allow anyone fortunate enough to be in their league to benefit from these decisions. Although should the owner drop Henry into purgatory then miss out on the chance that he returns to form the teams that play him at the later date may gain a small advantage. I guess I cannot make up my mind or am I just tossing out multiple scenarios?????

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:13 am

Tkats, I'm not getting rid of Henry but I would like to choke Mularkey for not deactivating him last week. :mad: I think all of us have a player who hasn't lived up to the billing. Gordon was just testing the waters to see what Tom and Greg would say. He's sitting in too good of shape to dump Davis.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Dr. FI$HER

Post by Dr. FI$HER » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:54 am

Gekko-

This years "Chris Shussman". Guess we weren't so far fetched when we predicted you would not make the playoffs. Now that you are almost officially done all you cna do is try and create waves and pi$$ off everyone on the boards includng Tom and Greg who have worked their ass off. Do us a favor and go back to WCOFF!

I promise you there will be no love lost on NFFC's behalf.

[ October 18, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Dr. FI$HER ]
FI$HER

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Originally posted by Dr. FI$HER:
Gekko-

This years "Chris Shussman". Guess we weren't so far fetched when we predicted you would not make the playoffs. Now that you are almost officially done all you cna do is try and create waves and pi$$ off everyone on the boards includng Tom and Greg who have worked their ass off. Do us a favor and go back to WCOFF!

I promise you there will be no love lost on NFFC's behalf. You guys are really pathetic. Drudging up last years stuff. If we promise to buy you a trophy will you promise to get over it!!!!!!!!!1