LAMAR GORDON

King of Queens

LAMAR GORDON

Post by King of Queens » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:21 pm

It's just sour grapes, Pete. No doubt about it.
Truth be told, I really wanted Gordon but I grossly miscalculated the demand for him--my bid fell over $400 short.

I think the discussion mostly centers around whether it's a good idea to spend ALL (or virtually all) of your free agent money to get him. Looking around at the available talent in the free agent pool, I think that this was THE player to get this season. True, another player may emerge later in the season, but you will most likely get all of your bye weeks covered with Gordon--maybe even a few RB2 or flex games as well.

I won my game this week and scored over 145 points this week despite getting ZERO points from my TE (Stevens) and K (Nedney) positions. In my humble opinion, even the teams that bid $1000 were more than justified in doing so.

As with most things in fantasy football, only time will tell.

Gordon Gekko

LAMAR GORDON

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
I won my game this week and scored over 145 points this week despite getting ZERO points from my TE (Stevens) and K (Nedney) positions. oh - those extra pts would have probably been useful come the end of the season...

In my humble opinion, even the teams that bid $1000 were more than justified in doing so.
bad form KoQ.

[ September 17, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

mikeybok

LAMAR GORDON

Post by mikeybok » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Gordon = 52 rushing + 36 yards Rec + 7 catches + 1TD = 18.3 this week ... time will tell.
Hakuna Matata!

renman

LAMAR GORDON

Post by renman » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:27 pm

and to think i thought i was really rolling the dice by bidding 734 on gordon.. i lost out by about a hundred. what might be fun for a player like this is an online auction...lol

i have come to the conclusion that aside from drafting a solid team.. the biggest factor in winning something like this with 14 team leagues is to have one or more of your back up sleeper players suddenly get thrust into action due to an injury to someone else's starter. the team that gets sudden production from a stephen jackson or deshawn foster will have a huge advantage.

[ September 17, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: renman ]

Gordon Gekko

LAMAR GORDON

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:30 pm

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Gordon = 52 rushing + 36 yards Rec + 7 catches + 1TD = 18.3 this week ... time will tell. he does look like a nice option this week. get all the pts you can (sorry, meant while you can).

Gordon Gekko

LAMAR GORDON

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:32 pm

Originally posted by renman:

i have come to the conclusion that aside from drafting a solid team.. the biggest factor in winning something like this with 14 team leagues is to have one or more of your back up sleeper players suddenly get thrust into action due to an injury to someone else's starter. the team that gets sudden production from a stephen jackson or deshawn foster will have a huge advantage. Don't forget about injuries and luck. other than that, you got it.

King of Queens

LAMAR GORDON

Post by King of Queens » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:33 pm

$1000 (or thereabouts) was what it took to get Lamar Gordon. Several teams desperately needed a RB2 or flex player due to injuries or drafting stupidity, making the expenditure of their entire wad a necessity.

In truth, the real question is this: was Lamar Gordon the best free agent pickup of the season? Remember, this isn't baseball where dozens of players emerge during the season. In football, I think you're lucky if there are 10 impact free agent pickups all year long. With positional scarcity included in the equation, I think you're looking at the top dog here.

Gordon Gekko

LAMAR GORDON

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:41 pm

With positional scarcity included in the equation, I think you're looking at the top dog here. It's strange to think how getting l.gordon changed everything, everything, hey don't get me wrong here, I don't believe in fate, i believe in odds. gordon was a 3rd string RB. now he is the best FA pickup of the year. if you can sell that one, i have a job offer for you.

seeferman

LAMAR GORDON

Post by seeferman » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:51 pm

Holy chit! Larry Bigbie is 3 for 4 with 7 RBI!!! And to think I got him for only $13!!! :D

King of Queens

LAMAR GORDON

Post by King of Queens » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:54 pm

Lamar Gordon Case File

(1) Starting RBs don't grow on trees
(2) No competition
(3) Has shown promise as a starter in past opportunities with former team
(4) No remaining starting RB candidates in the free agent pool
(5) Was 3rd string RB behind Hall of Famer and heralded rookie
(6) Opportunity is everything
(7) Will average 10 points per week for the rest of season AT A MINIMUM

Not looking for a job, Gordon--just putting myself in the head of these $999 bidders.