PM Question

Shrink Attack

PM Question

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm

When I try to send a private message, I click "submit" and it says that the message was successfully sent. But then I see that same PM message sitting in my Outbox, essentially stored there, rather than being listed as sent. I don't see any way to then send it from my Outbox. Later I come back and sometimes the message is sent, and sometimes it's still sitting in my Outbox. :?:

What am I missing?
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Tom Kessenich

Re: PM Question

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Shrink Attack wrote:When I try to send a private message, I click "submit" and it says that the message was successfully sent. But then I see that same PM message sitting in my Outbox, essentially stored there, rather than being listed as sent. I don't see any way to then send it from my Outbox. Later I come back and sometimes the message is sent, and sometimes it's still sitting in my Outbox. :?:

What am I missing?
I'm not sure. Do you know if the message was received? If it was that's the most important thing. I've been on message boards where this happens. The message is sent but shows in the outbox. As long as it's sent I think that's the biggest thing.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Shrink Attack wrote:When I try to send a private message, I click "submit" and it says that the message was successfully sent. But then I see that same PM message sitting in my Outbox, essentially stored there, rather than being listed as sent. I don't see any way to then send it from my Outbox. Later I come back and sometimes the message is sent, and sometimes it's still sitting in my Outbox. :?:

What am I missing?
I'm not sure. Do you know if the message was received? If it was that's the most important thing. I've been on message boards where this happens. The message is sent but shows in the outbox. As long as it's sent I think that's the biggest thing.
Sometimes it's received, sometimes not.

I don't even know what the purpose of an Outbox is. I can understand an Inbox, a Sent box, and a Draft Box. What in the world is an Outbox for, and how is it different from sent items or draft items?

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm

I guess the only purpose of an Outbox is when someone sends a PM, but the system can't send it right away for some reason. So it sits in this Outbox until the system is able to send it. That's why there's no addition button for me to click in order to send it out of the Outbox.

But why the system can't send a PM instantaneously is beyond me...

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:39 am

I tried sending Greg a PM two days ago, and it's still sitting in my Outbox, with no apparent way of getting it out.

I guess I'm done trying to use the PM function on this MB unless somebody can come up with a solution for this problem.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 am

I asked our tech guys to look into this and here's what they found:

1) When a user sends a private message (pm), the message goes into the outbox and stays in the outbox UNTIL the recipient actually opens and reads the private message.
2) In this case, when the recipient has read the private message, the message will then go to the senders ‘sent’ box.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:I asked our tech guys to look into this and here's what they found:

1) When a user sends a private message (pm), the message goes into the outbox and stays in the outbox UNTIL the recipient actually opens and reads the private message.
2) In this case, when the recipient has read the private message, the message will then go to the senders ‘sent’ box.
Got it!

Thanks a bunch for looking into it, Tom. That makes sense, now. It's counter-intuitive, but now I understand why sometimes it stays in the Outbox and sometimes it doesn't.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Does seem a little quirky but at least we have an answer. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich