Live Scoring

TamuScarecrow

Live Scoring

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:46 am

You guys are getting pretty carried away for just one game. How many people out there want Branch over Edge in a 16-game season?
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:24 am

I'll check with STATS today to get information on the live scoring. Obviously this is a big plus to have for our customers and we want to make sure it is right and accurate. I'll see what's up and report back.

I enjoyed the first night of action and I didn't even have an NFFC team to track. But I did have eight other teams to follow. Unfortunately, I still don't know if all my guys did well last night or not!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:46 am

Greg..

The live scoring still shows the incorrect number for Branch but the information under Scores/League is correct.

A question about Branch... His "fumble" was a MUFF unless I missed a real fumble. NFL.com play-by-play only reports a MUFF yet the game stats include a fumble. Are Muffs considered fumbles?

La Jolla

Live Scoring

Post by La Jolla » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:02 am

question: d. branch fumbled on a punt return if i saw correctly, so how can he be hit with a minus 1 for that. we don't get his yardage on punt returns so why would a fumble count?

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:44 am

JP, STATS is working on that to get both correct. Should be done before the weekend's games.

STATS is providing the official stats for the NFFC. I understand that Branch's "muff" was on a special teams play, but it certainly led to a turnover and it could have been a costly one. The intent of the rule is to penalize players whose actions result in turnovers and I certainly view that play as a fumble, whether the NFL calls it a muff or a fumble. If I need to clarify that in the rules I will, but thus far the way STATS has scored this is exactly the way I envisioned our scoring being set up. Hope this helps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:02 am

La Jolla, you bring up a good point and one that makes sense. But in creating the rules, we really didn't decipher where the turnovers would take place and we did not list negative points for defense or special teams. In hindsight, I guess that could have been done as there will be turnovers in games from special teams players that won't be attributed to anyone. But in this case with Branch and I suppose in future cases with Dante Hall and other wideouts who perform on special teams, they unfortunately can only score negative points for you when they perform on special teams. Sorry about that.

Here's the first example of a potential rule change or update for the NFFC in 2005. But as the rules stand now, Branch is the one who fumbled and it's attributed to him even though it happened on a special teams play.

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:10 am

Greg, I understand your position. Just a little more info to chew on...

From NFL.com:

Digest of Rules

Fumble
1. The distinction between a fumble and a muff should be kept in mind in considering rules about fumbles. A fumble is the loss of player possession of the ball. A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to obtain possession.

5. A muffed hand-to-hand snap from center is treated as a fumble. Seems to me they are different animals and muffs are not covered in the scoring rules. There is even a special case defining when a muff is to be considered a fumble.

[ September 10, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

lichtman

Live Scoring

Post by lichtman » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:16 am

the official NFL gamebook :

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/ ... 909_IND@NE

has Branch credited with a fumble, not a muff.

So all you muff-lovers can just calm down!
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Greg Ambrosius

Live Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:18 am

You're good, JP, you're good. I NEVER liked a muff before and now I REALLY don't like them. Branch certainly never had possession of the ball on that play. To be more truthful, he totally f'd up that play. No two ways about it.

The intent of our rule stands, but I agree with you that we didn't take this play into account initially. I think we'll have to define "lost fumble" better and allow that in 2005 individuals may not be penalized for special teams turnovers. It's worthy of food for thought.

JerseyPaul

Live Scoring

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:21 am

From the official play-by play:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbypla ... 909_IND@NE

4-8-IND44 (5:30) H.Smith punts 30 yards to NE 26, Center-J.Snow. D.Branch MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by IND-J.Nelson at NE 33. J.Nelson to NE 33 for no gain (L.Izzo).