GEKKO BRINGS IT - Draft slots not equal

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:40 am

Originally posted by Primo:
Gord. If you think I'm kidding, read my post below from Sunday at 9:23AM.

BENGALS + 7 – Probably their 1st Monday night game since the year after SF beat them in the Super Bowl. New coach, new outlook, and a chance to shine in front of the rest of the league. This is my upset special and it’s gonna be worth every penny against an over-rated Denver squad. Rudi Johnson finally pays up as my wasted 2nd round NFFC pick. That was a good pick although I could've guaranteed a Bengals' win based on the fact that since Week 1 I have only correctly picked the winning defense in my main league once. I have the Broncos and Titans. Care to guess which one I started this week?

No. 1 defense in the NFL my ass.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:33 am

My only explanation is that all of those teams took Culpepper coming back in the third round or at the end of the second round and are benefitting by having two good RBs and a stud QB.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:35 am

My only explanation is that all of those teams took Culpepper coming back in the third round or at the end of the second round and are benefitting by having two good RBs and a stud QB.With only 12 team leagues, this is a distinct possibility.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:37 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Gordon, I must admit that I can't possibly explain why the Top 20 in the WCOFF all come from the first six spots. Can you? how about drafting in the first half puts you at an advantage. which is my contention.

Honestly, I can't believe that will hold up the rest of the year in the WCOFF, but you let us know if it does. I don't think it proves that you can't win from the second half of the draft. What's next, you reduce it to 10 teams and only 1 through 5 win? greg, you know what's next...blind bidding on draft slots. all things go back to this. come on greg, do the dance with me
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:39 am

greg and/or tom,
do you think owners at each draft slot (1-12) in the other event have an equal chance of winning? thanks.

[ October 26, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:46 am

Okay, a peak at NFFC Draft Champions where the WW doesn't change things. Here's my league after 7 weeks:

Current Place Draft Slot

See, no draft slot effect.... much

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:00 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
greg and/or tom,
do you think owners at each draft slot (1-12) in the other event have an equal chance of winning? thanks. Yup. As I've said, I think draft position is far down the list of factors that determine championships every season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:06 am

Gordon, you know I don't dance. I grew up with disco and that was it for me on the dance floor. :D You've obviously found a cool site with the graemlins, so keep the original characters coming.

Yes, you can certainly win from any draft slot in a 12-team league. No question about that. In fact, a lot of guys would prefer 12-13 over 1-24 in a 12-team league. Again, if you want to make all things equal, you need to have a six team league where everyone is guaranteed one stud running back. That seems to be the goal lately with this analysis.

JP, I know you had pick 13 in the Draft Champions League. Looks like you didn't take Culpepper. :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:25 am

JP, I know you had pick 13 in the Draft Champions League. Looks like you didn't take Culpepper. :D Nope, had the 11.

Had to take 2RBs in 1 and 2. After that, they were all gone. Culpepper would have been a huge mistake as I wouldn't have gotten a 2nd RB at 3.11. My QB committee gives me good production, that's not the problem. I wanted 3 RBs in 3 rounds but couldn't do it.

Same problem in the Main Event but there I decided to go WR/WR. The WW gave me relief in Week 5. I now have Droughns and Hoover and hopefully Wheatley will return by the time S. Davis is able to play again.

[ October 26, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:50 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
btw- the best you can do is say it's a BS post???? what, no multiple quotes, no point by point Gekko slanted view??? I'm hurt.....no need to be hurt. this one can probably sum up your previous post...

btw part 2 - I f the sheep pay the bills, yea, you gotta do what the sheep want. you got it wrong phil. sheep will follow whatever is out there.

You are appearently very unhappy with both events so far. actually i'm very happy at this point. currently KP's event is the best by far. i'm throwing out ideas for improvements. it's understandable that you confuse the issues.

Start you own, then you could be boss and tell us, if you don't like it, don't play. possible i guess. when i get close to retiring that may be the ticket. in the meantime, how bout i throw out ideas to improve the events i'm in. i guess you have a problem with that?