***ALERT: Random Draft Slot Facts

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:02 am

It's a long season. Guys like McGahee, Smith and maybe even Jackson could be huge factors in determining who wins fantasy leagues this season. It's not always how you start, but how you finish that determines who comes out on top.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw a tremendous amount of RB depth this season unlike typical years and I've seen it played out in every fantasy league I'm involved with so far this season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:14 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
In various drafts I saw -- and took part in -- RBs such as Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Kevin Jones, Lee Suggs and William Green all went in the third round or later. It's safe to say Emmitt and Eddie George (who has been decent in many leagues) went after the third round. Also, upside RBs such as DeShaun Foster (who did hit big for a couple of games), Onterrio Smith, McGahee and Steven Jackson all went after the third round. Again, I'm talking about a large number of drafts I saw and participated in not just the NFFC.

The depth at RB was fantastic this season in my opinion. 12 team leagues, perhaps?

Curtis Martin 2.12, Tiki Barber 3.7, Warrick Dunn 3.11, and Lee Suggs 2.14 all were gone by 3.11.

Eddie is averaging 8.6 points per game...useless
Foster...no factor
William Green 8 ppg
Kevin Jones 6.9 ppg
McGahee not useful until week 8 (4.8, -0.3, 0, 0, 4.9, 15.7, 6.4) if you started him after the draft, you're done.
Steven Jackson averaging 5.8 points per game.

So much for the fantastic depth. If you played in my league in the NFFC and had slot 12, 13 or 14 and didn't go RB/RB, you didn't get a RB out of the draft (except for Emmitt).
[/QUOTE]You failed to mention Onterrio Smith who averaged 18+ through his first 3 games, and is now back to be the front runner for the starting gig.

That being said, I agree there wasn't much available at RB once it got around to you (and me) in round 3. I thought VERY hard about taking Holt at 2.1, but figured there wouldn't be any RB's available, so I passed and took Westbrook. After this year's draft, I'm sure you wouldn't go WR-WR-WR in the first 3 rounds, but your team is hanging in there in large part to your pickup of Droughns.

By the way JP, are my calculations correct that you only have $1 remaining for free agents? If so, you gotta spend it to be the first one out! ;)

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:11 pm

Billy,

I had no intention of going WR/WR/WR although my plan going in was indeed to go WR/WR/RB. With that deep 3rd/4th round RB pool (sarcasm), I figured I might as well grab another quality WR since Wheatley wasn't going anywhere. Averaging 16.6 ppg, Moulds is doing fine as a 3rd rounder.

My plan was Dunn 3.12/Wheatley 4.3. When Dunn went at 3.11, all the rest of the draft was improvisation.

If Deion Branch doesn't get hurt in the 1st qtr. I'd be 6-2 and tied with you.

As for my last dollar, it will go to replace Terry Glenn. I'll likely take a 2nd kicker to give me backup at K for the consolation run.

I did better with my $3 for Hoover and $1 for Hambrick than my $711 for Henry.

[ November 03, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:38 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Billy,

I had no intention of going WR/WR/WR although my plan going in was indeed to go WR/WR/RB. With that deep 3rd/4th round RB pool (sarcasm), I figured I might as well grab another quality WR since Wheatley wasn't going anywhere. Averaging 16.6 ppg, Moulds is doing fine as a 3rd rounder.

My plan was Dunn 3.12/Wheatley 4.3. When Dunn went at 3.11, all the rest of the draft was improvisation.

As for my last dollar, it will go to replace Terry Glenn. I'll likely take a 2nd kicker to give me backup at K for the consolation run.

I did better with my $3 for Hoover and $1 for Hambrick than my $711 for Henry. You forgot to mention that you dropped Sammy Morris, Jerome Bettis and Amos Zereoue and left countless points on the bench due to poor team management.

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:40 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
quote:Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Billy,

I did better with my $3 for Hoover and $1 for Hambrick than my $711 for Henry. You forgot to mention that you dropped Sammy Morris, Jerome Bettis and Amos Zereoue and left countless points on the bench due to poor team management.

:D
[/QUOTE]OUCH!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

dgamblnman

Post by dgamblnman » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 am

Tom, I like the points you've made, unfortunately, they keep hitting a couple brick walls.

The current system is pretty good and challenging, that is what you wanted from this contest and that's what you got. But with any contest, it is who you pick and when they are picked. Good job.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:18 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
The current system is pretty good and challenging, that is what you wanted from this contest. Good job. What gets lost with some people (Vegas, etc...) is that I believe this is true. I'm introducing ideas that could make this contest go from "pretty good" (Vegas's words) to the next step up.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:52 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
The current system is pretty good and challenging, that is what you wanted from this contest. Good job. What gets lost with some people (Vegas, etc...) is that I believe this is true. I'm introducing ideas that could make this contest go from "pretty good" (Vegas's words) to the next step up. [/QUOTE]Open your own national competition and spare us all of your prophecy here in NFFC.

Thanx for trying though ! Great job ! You are now getting it ! Good Work !

[ November 04, 2004, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:24 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Tom, I like the points you've made, unfortunately, they keep hitting a couple brick walls.

The current system is pretty good and challenging, that is what you wanted from this contest and that's what you got. But with any contest, it is who you pick and when they are picked. Good job. The other aspect that isn't being looked at is which players were kept on benches and produced? Those points aren't factored into a team's season-long scoring (obviously) but it is a very accurate reflection of the owner and what he or she is doing to best utilize all of the talent on their roster. Again, I don't believe it's where you draft, but who you draft and then how you manage your team as the season goes along -- and that means more than just WW pickups, but also the players you start and sit each week.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:58 am

Just a reminder, it's cool to disagree with one another, but let's do so respectfully, ok? This is all meant to be fun so let's keep that in mind at all times. Thanks.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich