2006 NFFC_Improvements

Gordon Gekko

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:49 am

Improvements for 2006...Summarized by Gekko

1. Blind bidding on draft slots - allows ALL owners some input on their draft slot. no negatives, except the "i'm afraid to try something new crowd".

2. An additional roster spot for playoff weeks - clearly makes sense. no negatives, except from the "i might get blocked crowd"...which by the way is totally ridiculous, cause you can get blocked under the current rules). all you WCOFF guys that are lucky enough to make the playoffs are gonna feel the pinch (going from 20 to 18) if a couple of your players get hurt after week 13.

3. League championship game or 3 game series between best H2H record and most pts (if different) - helps in determining that the most "deserving" team receive the 1st place league prize. no negatives, except from the "old school" crowd who likes to reward the H2H winner no matter how they did it.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Diesel

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Diesel » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:25 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
[QB] Improvements for 2006...Summarized by Gekko

2. An additional roster spot for playoff weeks - clearly makes sense. no negatives, except from the "i might get blocked crowd"...which by the way is totally ridiculous, cause you can get blocked under the current rules). all you WCOFF guys that are lucky enough to make the playoffs are gonna feel the pinch (going from 20 to 18) if a couple of your players get hurt after week 13.

*How about this? We are awarded $1000 in free agent money for a 13 week regular season. This averages out to $77 per week. If there is a 3 week playoff, just award $77 x 3 = $231 additional dollars to each team that makes the playoffs to bid throughout the post season.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Gordon Gekko

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:50 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
*How about this? We are awarded $1000 in free agent money for a 13 week regular season. This averages out to $77 per week. If there is a 3 week playoff, just award $77 x 3 = $231 additional dollars to each team that makes the playoffs to bid throughout the post season. won't work. you can't bid throughout the playoffs. what would be the FA pool? players not on any of the playoff teams? it's possible that no playoff team has culpepper on it. are you saying he should be in the FA pool??

adding an extra roster spot during the last FA bidding week is the simplest and most effective way of handling.

lumpy463

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by lumpy463 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:03 am

If it ain't broke. Dont fix it.
With the sign-ups and level of interest apparently out there, I would advise Greg to not change a thing.
You did not list that as a viable reason.

Lumpy
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson

Gordon Gekko

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:22 am

Originally posted by Derek Anderson:
If it ain't broke. Dont fix it.
With the sign-ups and level of interest apparently out there, I would advise Greg to not change a thing.
You did not list that as a viable reason.

Lumpy the signups wouldn't be any less if greg implemented any of these. in fact, they'd probably be more in the coming years. giving owners more choices is usually a good thing.

most (if not) every owner i know would like to have input as to their draft slot...not leaving it up to some 100% random event.

having a league title game would only reward the most deserving team, how could it not? no question about that one.

i realize a lot of people are scared of change. happens in just about every facet of life. let me assure you, all of these changes are for the good of all players, not just me.

lump - in your world, you'd still have fred flintstone cars.

[ April 30, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:31 am

"If it ain't broke. Dont fix it."

never liked that saying. never will. usually people who don't know what to say have a tendency of throwing it out there. that's okay. i understand.

JerseyPaul

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:09 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
"If it ain't broke. Dont fix it."

never liked that saying. never will. usually people who don't know what to say have a tendency of throwing it out there. that's okay. i understand. Just an FYI... Not having rule 3 is the main reason I will not play in the main event this year, I will concentrate on the auction events which have equal payouts to the regular season h2h and points leaders as well as an exciting playoff for the championship. I also don't like the luck element of the draft slot where I've had 13th in the 2004 football main event, 12th in the 2004 football Draft Champions and 15th in the 2005 baseball Main Event.

So to say rule changes (or lack of) have no impact on attendance....wrong.

[ April 30, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Barflies

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Barflies » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:52 pm

As someone on the outside looking in, I can tell you that not having rule 3 will definitely affect attendance. Going through the rules, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Not saying it will keep me away but it may, and I'm sure it will for some.

The other two suggestions look like they could be interesting nuances to the rules but I'd consider them pretty minor compared to #3.

BillyWaz

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by BillyWaz » Sun May 01, 2005 12:16 am

QUOTE] I also don't like the luck element of the draft slot where I've had 13th in the 2004 football main event, 12th in the 2004 football Draft Champions and 15th in the 2005 baseball Main Event.

So to say rule changes (or lack of) have no impact on attendance....wrong. [/QB][/quote]

As much as I didn't like drafting 14th last year BEFORE the draft, it IS NOT a disadvantage.

JP, you for example took 3 WR's with your first 3 picks, which put you behind the "8-ball" right from the start. You could have taken Joe Horn instead of Eric Moulds, Corey Dillon instead of Torry Holt, etc, but you chose different players. The point I am trying to make is that the draft is not won in the first 2 rounds, but it can be lost, so draft position is not as big of a deal as most people think. My team was made because I got Horn in the 3rd and of course Gates in the 11th. My first two picks (Brian Westbrook- didn't do much till round Week 10 & Fred Taylor - was mediocre at best last year) were not the reason I won, it was what I picked up later.

That being said, unless I had the #1 pick this year (where I could take LT), I would PREFER a late round pick because at least I know I can nab 2 quality RB's, whereas the people drafting 1st-4th for example really can't say the same thing.

Diesel

2006 NFFC_Improvements

Post by Diesel » Sun May 01, 2005 1:55 am

Food for thought: I'm pretty sure none of the top 10 overall NFFC finishers had a top 3 pick last year.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."