Greg - Roster sizes?

Route Collectors

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:16 am

Greg

Has much discussion been thrown around the office to reduce roster size on draft day?
I was curious because I've seen it mentioned by a few owners in different threads.

I'm sure the debate would be fierce on both sides of the fence. I know the current rules and believe me, I'm not trying to stir the pot.
I just wondered if you've ever thought that cutting down the rosters by one or two spots
would make the FAAB more strategic throughout the year. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Jeff

Diesel

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Diesel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:04 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Greg

I'm sure the debate would be fierce on both sides of the fence. I know the current rules and believe me, I'm not trying to stir the pot.

Jeff Jeff, I think if someone put a post up asking if it were possible to have ice for our drinks at the next NFFC draft, there would be a thread 4 pages long with people going all out to explain why the idea is brilliant or ridiculous.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Route Collectors

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:10 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
Greg

Jeff Jeff, I think if someone put a post up asking if it were possible to have ice for our drinks at the next NFFC draft, there would be a thread 4 pages long with people going all out to explain why the idea is brilliant or ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]Cubes or crushed? :D LOL

[ November 11, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Gordon Gekko

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:17 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Has much discussion been thrown around the office to reduce roster size on draft day?
none of this taboo at gekko industries. if anything an increase (at playoff time) would be better. actually, i'd love to see how the NFFC would fare as a 12 team/league setup with 20 or 21 man rosters.

i'm wondering if the 14 team/league setup is slowing new signups. could be, as a 14 team setup is much more difficult than a 12 team setup. plus you have more losers each year...more losers...less repeat customers

[ November 11, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

dgamblnman

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by dgamblnman » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
none of this taboo at gekko industries. if anything an increase (at playoff time) would be better. actually, i'd love to see how the NFFC would fare as a 12 team/league setup with 20 or 21 man rosters.

i'm wondering if the 14 team/league setup is slowing new signups. could be, as a 14 team setup is much more difficult than a 12 team setup. plus you have more losers each year...more losers...less repeat customers
[/QUOTE]Are you losing this year GG? (crosses fingers)

TamuScarecrow

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:18 pm

RC and I have discussed this briefly in the past and it would make for a more strategic game to either keep the rosters the same and go to 12 teams or keep 14 teams and decrease the rosters to 16 players as the FA pool is pretty bare except for attrition. GG makes a great point about more losers not making for a large amount of repeat business. 12-team leagues would also allow for an 11 game season, 2-week playoff for the league title, and 3-game playoff for the championship and consolation games. During the league playoffs the rest of the teams would be submitting lineups to accumulate points for the consolation game or could even lend itself to a 5-game playoff for the consolation game. Lots of possibilities.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Are you losing this year GG? (crosses fingers) vg - i'm doing about the same as your best season. go figure

Gordon Gekko

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
GG makes a great point about more losers not making for a large amount of repeat business. nag (loser from last year) stuck it out and he's in contention this year. shows you a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

in phil's case, he was a loser from last year, and he threw in the towel for this year. who would have expected that? ;)

[ November 11, 2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:14 pm

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
12-team leagues would also allow for an 11 game season, 2-week playoff for the league title, and 3-game playoff for the championship and consolation games. During the league playoffs the rest of the teams would be submitting lineups to accumulate points for the consolation game or could even lend itself to a 5-game playoff for the consolation game. Lots of possibilities. i told greg when we were out in vegas that the better gamer wins the 14 team format. but the 12 team format allows for less talent dispersion, better chance at getting FA, more owners win money, etc...

Ted's Cracked Head

Greg - Roster sizes?

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:48 pm

I love the 14 team format. I think that it is much more fun and challenging in a different way. I would hate to see that change. It seems as though more teams are competitive in their leagues deeper into the season in the 14 team format. (I have no data to support that but if you look at almost all of the NFFC leagues you see that most of them have multiple teams that are still "in" it. I will have to do some fact finding to support this.)

Yes, more teams lose in this format but that could be addressed by increasing the entry fees and paying out another spot.

If you consider a roster reduction I would think that you would have to reduce the "Lienups" by one too. It would be very difficult and unfair to try and manage a season with a roster of 16 when you are starting 10 (though it would make the draft more complex as bye week issues would HAVE to be dealt with on draft day / you might have to pass on someone and take your next rated player to avoid a bye week snafoo). You would have to cut folks you drafted (likely later on) who you thought could make a difference at some point in the season just to fill a bye week spot. That would not be fair. It would taint the draft a touch.

A move to 12 team leagues would be a mistake in my opinion.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King