Incorrect Scoring

freddiezee

Incorrect Scoring

Post by freddiezee » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am

After reading the Arnaz Battle posts here I think I have found two other scoring errors that need to be addressed. I was unaware that players who fumbled while punt returning don't lose a point. Santonio Holmes lost a point for a fumble on punt return in week 7 and 9. If someone could look into this, that would be great.

Tom Kessenich

Incorrect Scoring

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 am

I'll contact STATS and see about this.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Ted's Cracked Head

Incorrect Scoring

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:01 am

Weeks 7 and 9?

I checked and do not see any rule outlining a procedure/timeframe for issues like this. Usually there is a defined period after which it falls un the TS Rule.

This might need to be added next year or is there something I am missing?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

freddiezee

Incorrect Scoring

Post by freddiezee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:40 am

I agreee with you that the time delay on changing stats kind of sucks, but I guess we should try to get it right in the end. The thing about this one is that the rules didn't clarify that you don't lose a point for a special teams fumble, they just say that you lose a point for a fumble. It makes sense that you don't lose a point for a punt return fumble, since you don't get points for a punt return touchdown, but I didn't know that was the rule until the post about Battle this week. Looks like it got straightened out, which is good.....I hope it didn't actually change any wins or losses....it didn't for me.
BTW, loving the NFFC in my first year playing it. Greg and Tom do a great job and the format is excellent.

Greg Ambrosius

Incorrect Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
Weeks 7 and 9?

I checked and do not see any rule outlining a procedure/timeframe for issues like this. Usually there is a defined period after which it falls un the TS Rule.

This might need to be added next year or is there something I am missing? You are correct Rob, this isn't in the rules. STATS does finalize yardage totals for us by Tuesday at noon even though we haven't listed that, although we do have the right to change scoring plays that are later corrected by the NFL, like we did two weeks ago with the McNabb play and this week with the Driver mis-scoring. Anytime there is an error in our scoring -- like a fumble on special teams being credited to the individual player -- we will correct that as well.

But as for yardage totals, we do finalize those on Tuesday at noon.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Incorrect Scoring

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 am

Greg, this is actually something that has concerned me for awhile. If the NFL makes a scoring change on Friday, December 8th, that could impact the teams that are in the Championship League. Since Week 14 starts on Thursday, December 7th, you could have a scenario where a playoff team is knocked out after the first game has been played.

I guess the big question is: what is that statute of limitations on scoring changes? For example, what happens if the NFL decides to make a scoring change more than a week after the game was played? Something like this happened in baseball as I recall, where Greg Maddux's ERA was changed weeks or even months after the actual game.

Perhaps a "TS Rule" (I like that) is needed...

[ November 29, 2006, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

Greg Ambrosius

Incorrect Scoring

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:39 am

If the scenario you suggested happened, our games would already be official. We don't change yardage totals after Tuesday. The TD change and the obvious one on Monday night were handled properly by us, but one took place on Tuesday night (the Driver change) and one on Wednesday. Arnaz Battle's fumble was also correctly changed this morning. So all I'm saying is that we have a fast deadline on stats and only the most obvious errors are changed.

It was easy to change Maddux's error because the NFBC is a season long contest and obviously our stats need to correlate with each player's year-end stats, which we took care of.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

londog7

Incorrect Scoring

Post by londog7 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:54 pm

I agree that a "TS Rule" should be in effect if no challenge is made prior to the first game of the following week. There are a few non-yardage plays that could affect the outcome of games (ST fumbles, fumbles changed from one player to another, awarding a sack on a play initially scored as a 1-yard run by a QB, etc.)

Allowing a team to challenge their score 3-4 weeks after the fact could lead to a messy situation. Just my two-cents worth.
I can lead a nation with a microphone.

gerard

Incorrect Scoring

Post by gerard » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 pm

we must have a time table to go by for next year there should be no changes if the next week is already under way.
gerard - thurderstruck

King of Queens

Incorrect Scoring

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:47 pm

Originally posted by g money:
we must have a time table to go by for next year there should be no changes if the next week is already under way.
gerard - thurderstruck Yup. Greg, another change for the 2007 rules.

Along with 3RR/KDS that is :D