A very slow 2009 draft

Route Collectors

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 pm

I was just thinking...I wonder what the earliest date would be to get 14 people together for a 2009 NFFC draft

I think it was Feb. that R.Benetti organized a league to test out 3RR before it was implemented as part of all NFFC serpentine drafts.

We drafted half our rounds then and the rest sometime in the summer. It was pretty cool. Anyway...it got me to thinking about the possibility of doing a once a month partial draft as a means of satisfying the FF hunger during the down months not to mention the satisfaction of drafting players waaaaay before any lists come out.

What if we did a DC that started in Feb and drafted 6 rounds. We take off 1 month and do the same thing in March..continue the process in April and May with 8 rounds for a total of 26 rounds then finally complete the process in late August with 2-4 more supplemental rounds.

I was thinking...there are at least 14 die hards that chat these boards up anyway throughout the winter...mostly trying to project 2009 draft strategies. Why not turn that into a little more winter fun!

I'm throwing this out to see if there might be enough interest. It could be a cheapie satellite $125 or so.

What do you all think?

Ted's Cracked Head

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:46 pm

I am ready to start. Next Tuesday night is bad for me but other than that.....

Rookies would be included? I think so.

Phase 1 before the NFL Draft. (7 rounds)

Phase 2 after the draft. (7 rounds)

Phase 3 in June or July. (7 rounds)

Phase 4 in August. (last 5 rounds)

Logisitcally it would be tough to use MDC. We could just do it in a chat room with our own clock?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

hammer

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by hammer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:40 am

IN

(note to self: put Rob on Christmas list)

Coltsfan

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:03 am

I think this is a great idea!

Wayne

BillyWaz

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:20 am

As long as it was in a private chat room and a DC, I would be up for it.

I like the idea of giving a little "taste" at four different points of the offseason.

Greg Ambrosius

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:08 am

Originally posted by Route C:
I was just thinking...I wonder what the earliest date would be to get 14 people together for a 2009 NFFC draft

I think it was Feb. that R.Benetti organized a league to test out 3RR before it was implemented as part of all NFFC serpentine drafts.

We drafted half our rounds then and the rest sometime in the summer. It was pretty cool. Anyway...it got me to thinking about the possibility of doing a once a month partial draft as a means of satisfying the FF hunger during the down months not to mention the satisfaction of drafting players waaaaay before any lists come out.

What if we did a DC that started in Feb and drafted 6 rounds. We take off 1 month and do the same thing in March..continue the process in April and May with 8 rounds for a total of 26 rounds then finally complete the process in late August with 2-4 more supplemental rounds.

I was thinking...there are at least 14 die hards that chat these boards up anyway throughout the winter...mostly trying to project 2009 draft strategies. Why not turn that into a little more winter fun!

I'm throwing this out to see if there might be enough interest. It could be a cheapie satellite $125 or so.

What do you all think? I was just going to post something like this. This week we started NFBC Slow Draft Leagues in our baseball contest and we are selling one per day. It's more than two months before baseball draft day and our guys can't get enough of these slow drafts at $125, $250 and $325. All of these are Draft Champions formats where their roster consists of the players they draft (45) and no in-season free agent picks are possible.

Obviously these drafts are popular because the owners are prepping before the big dance and this is a great way to learn where certain players should be targeted. But it's also like a several week-long social networking site where guys can converse about players, strategies, families, etc. I've been in several of these league draft rooms and everyone is just having a good time, talking about baseball and anything else that is going on in their lives. And they are making a pick or two a day for the next three weeks. It's great.

We can obviously do an NFFC 14-team Slow Draft Draft Champions League format anytime you folks are ready. The only thing missing would probably be the rookies since they have plenty of time before declaring for the draft. But we can check with Geoff at MockDraftCentral.com to see when this would be ready and make it happen.

In fact, I'd like to unveil this Slow Draft Draft Champions format all off-season and really get a community going here all off-season. There's enough folks who want to draft and stay on top of football and I think our community is as good a spot to start as there is. We can do Pay Top 3 or Winner-Take-All leagues and eventually provide some of those results on the message boards once we have enough draft results, so that we aren't giving away any individual secrets.

If we get 14 interested owners, I'll set it up, as long as MDC.com can do it. They have a very nice Slow Draft feature and we'll definitely use them and run the leagues on the NFFC site. Sound good?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 am

Originally posted by Rob B:

Logisitcally it would be tough to use MDC. We could just do it in a chat room with our own clock? 4 phases is fine, too. I just threw out the Slow Draft concept if anyone wants to do that between now and Draft Day. Either way is fine. Just keep me in the loop and I'll try to help.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

moyer1313

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by moyer1313 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 am

Count me in!

Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

Route Collectors

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:04 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Rob B:

Logisitcally it would be tough to use MDC. We could just do it in a chat room with our own clock? 4 phases is fine, too. I just threw out the Slow Draft concept if anyone wants to do that between now and Draft Day. Either way is fine. Just keep me in the loop and I'll try to help.
[/QUOTE]I like this idea. Let's do this thing!

Ted's Cracked Head

A very slow 2009 draft

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 am

Greg,

Can you ask Geoff when they will be ready for us to draft with rookies included?

As soon as they are ready I am sure lots of us will be more than ready to start the FF season.

If Geoff could set it up so we can start and stop our drafts after ___ number of rounds so we can do the four phase concept, I think that would be cool.

Does anyone know when the NFL releases their schedule? I cannot recall.

Thanks
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King