I'm 2 and 3...anyone want to talk movies?

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:32 am

Tamu...Didn't get to "Friday Night Lights" yet, but I heard that the movie is incredible. I saw an interview with the author of the book on a local show, and he said that the movie is dead-on from the book, which I also heard great things about, but haven't had the time to read yet (my life story lately). That subject is serious "chit" in Texas, as you well know. And yes, Ico...True Romance was fantastic. Speaking of cameo's, how about Gandolfini's character? Man, was HE a piece of work? I think that was his first role. Hopper talking to Walken about the Sigi's was hilarious as well. Here we go...I gotta watch it again tonight. :D
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:29 am

Gordon, Titanic was ok but the soundtrack was incredible.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:14 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Gordon, Titanic was ok but the soundtrack was incredible. Speaking of soundtracks...check out Streets of Fire. :cool:
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:16 am

Thought I would share this with all of you. I was surfing through imdb.com and came across some interesting User Comments regarding "Deadwood":

-------------------------------------------

primo-11
Philadelphia

Date: 22 September 2004
Summary: Best TV performance in years.

I don't know what the previous member was watching, but it sure wasn't Deadwood. The performance of Ian McShane was unequalled in ANY category of film or stage. The fact that the Emmy's ignored his great work is ludicrous. If you haven't seen it, buy the DVD when it's released, and I'll guarantee that you'll love every single moment. This show kicks the Soprano's to the curb. Even if you don't like Westerns per se, this show will engross you. Every character is unique in their performance. David Milch has actually outdone himself here. If the language and violence are not your cup of tea, then it would be best to stay away. Otherwise, the show is one of the best productions in years. Magnificent.

-------------------------------------------------

Richie Primo
Sewell, New Jersey

Date: 15 July 2004
Summary: No Emmy nomination for Ian McShane?

Ian McShane as Al Swearengen is one of the finest performances that I've seen in ANY genre. I've seen thousands of films, and if McShane is not worthy of at least a nomination, they should simply do away with the entire concept of the award. Perhaps it was the extremely foul language, or the fact that many people don't particularly like "westerns" - but this omission is as glaring as I've ever seen in all of my years as a fan of great acting. Although the entire ensemble cast is wonderful in Deadwood, it is indeed Al Swearengen's character that has made this show one of the finest that I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. It is a travesty that the powers that be have not given due recognition to this "Gem."

[ October 21, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: King of Queens ]

Shooey

Post by Shooey » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:20 am

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"

For a second, got this confused with "Throw Momma From the Train" ...

Hey Primo- my Ragin' Cajun Chickens send their regards ...

I'm a fan of the war genre myself:

Saving Private Ryan (greatest film I've ever seen)
Braveheart
We Were Soldiers
The Patriot (there's a theme building ...)
Thin Red Line
Enemy at the Gates
Black Hawk Down (nasty)
Windtalkers
Pearl Harbor (the non-Bennifer scenes anyway)
Last Samurai
Red Dawn (Wolverines!)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:22 am

How about Band of Brothers? Best miniseries of all time.

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:30 pm

K of Q...Yes...guilty as charged. Don't know if you've seen Deadwood, but I meant every word I said. McShane was fantastic. I even used his character as my MB name for a while. ;)

These blood-thirsty, heathens are KOCKSUKKA'S!!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the show?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:37 pm

Great show, Primo. If you recall, we had a mini-discussion about Deadwood (and other HBO shows) a few weeks ago.

Richie, you sound like a home theater buff, so you might be the right person to ask this question. I just took the plunge and bought a new HDTV flat panel plasma. The cable HDTV channels look fantastic, but playing movies on my 4-year-old 5 disc Sony DVD changer doesn't look so hot. In fact, my DVD's are not playing at a normal speed--any idea why that's happening? Also, can you recommend a decent DVD player in the sub-$1000 level?

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:43 am

King...check the link below. You may find it lower priced elsewhere, but my video-editing guy says it's one of the best, it's pretty reasonable (around $250.), and trust me, he knows his stuff. I never heard of "Denon" before, but I trust in his word. I just put a 60" Sony in my bedroom :eek: , and he's replacing my old player with this one tomorrow. I'm not expert on the subject, but he said something along the lines of it playing the disc in HD quality. I'll ask him about your DVD speed problem. Get back to me tonight or Saturday morning if you have any other questions, as he'll be here from around 10AM to noon tomorrow. Send to my personal e-mail, [email protected] and I'll try to help you out. I picked up Van Helsing last night and I'm itching to check it out on the new player. I may never leave my bedroom again, unless my wife keeps persisting on that sex thing. Let me think...Spider-Man 2 in high-def, or my 2,029th sexual encounter with her? Hmmm...?

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.js ... age=family

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:50 pm

The prices of TV's are insane. I checked out that site. Up to about $6,000.00 for a TV. Wasn't there a time where watching TV was free? Not only do you have to spend thousands of dollars for the TV, but you have to expand and make it HDTV capable... I remember having a Zenith TV as a kid, and getting a box called WHT...lol That was cable. And after you bought the box, it was free. Damn I'm getting old.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."