Las Vegas Auction League

Greg Ambrosius

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:52 am

We have officially picked the selection order for the Las Vegas Auction League. These 14 owners will be using an imaginary $200 budget to select 20 players on Friday, Sept. 3rd starting at 6 p.m. at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. The winner earns $4,000, second place $1,750 and third place $550. There are two divisions in the Auction League and six teams actually qualify for the playoffs, with the division champions earning first-round byes.

Anyway, here's the Selection Order:

1. Kyle Pope
2. John Crane
3. Kevin LaCour
4. Charlie Gillespie
5. Marc Moyer
6. John Zaleski
7. Dale Tobias/Kevin Dukesherer
8. Phillip McDonald
9. Bill Ezzell
10. Harlon Waggoner
11. Gordon Gekko
12. Shawn Childs
13. Dave Cushard
14. Chris Schrinker

Under this scenario, here are the two divisions with odd-numbered teams in one division and even-numbered teams in another. For the sake of argument, we'll call them the East and the West Divisions:

EAST DIVISION
Kyle Pope
Kevin LaCour
Marc Moyer
Dale Tobias
Bill Ezzell
Gordon Gekko
Dave Cushard

WEST DIVISION
John Crane
Charlie Gillespie
John Zaleski
Phillip McDonald
Harlon Wagoner
Shawn Childs
Chris Schrinker

Just so everyone understands the playoff format, here it is from the Rules: Leagues will be split into two seven-team divisions and the divisional winners will receive a first-round bye in the league playoffs. The second-place teams based on records and the two remaining teams with the highest point total for the regular season will also advance to the league playoffs, meaning six teams from each division advance to the playoffs. The third-seeded team will take on the sixth-seeded team in Week 14, while the fourth-seeded team will take on the fifth-seeded team. The lowest-seeded winning team from that round will take on the top-seeded team in Week 15 and the middle-seeded teams will also compete in the semi-final round of the playoffs. The playoff winners from Week 15 will compete in Week 16 for the league championship prize, while the losers from Week 15 will compete in the third-place game.

I should clarify that third and fourth seeds will be based on best records among those two teams and if they were tied, obviously total points would determine that seeding. Since the last two playoff spots are determined by total points, the team with the most points among those two gets the fifth seed.

Okay, enough of that. Tom Kessenich pulled the names out of a brand new NFBC FlexFit hat (great $20 value) and somehow got Dyv pick #13 for the second straight day. Figure that. Again, blame him if you don't like your selection spot, but everyone has the same amount of money to buy players and has the same opportunity to get any player they want! Just remember that we throw out players for bidding 1 through 14 and we go back around again at the end of the round, it is not serpentine.

Let the divisional rivalries begin....and the smack talking!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Kevin L

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Kevin L » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:53 am

Greg, I thought I understood that the auction league would fall out the same as the drafts and select 18 players with a $180.
Is this not correct?

Tom Kessenich

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:57 am

Nope, it's 20 players/$200 cap for the auction.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Kevin L

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Kevin L » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:04 am

Thanks for the clarification

Dyv

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Dyv » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:22 am

Many thanks again to the fun atmosphere in here - thanks to MrBill for springing for the beer and Chris Schrinker for buying round 2. Much appreciated, fellas - and it made a long event more tolerable.

I also wanted to thank Phillip McDonald for letting me get a couple players out with my last few bucks when you could have swiped them. Fargas (since I had Wheatley) was a huge $5 late round gambit and was my max bid. I gave my draft a B- because of getting Fargas. You waited a long time on the stack - too long? How did you feel, Phillip?

I'll wait for rosters to be posted for some more thoughts on who's going to be tough - anyone else like their team a ton? hate it? So-So?

I'm not thrilled with mine, but I took my chances and we'll see.

Dave

[ September 06, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Dyv ]
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

mrbill40

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by mrbill40 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:46 am

Guys, I had a blast, I shot my load pretty early on Holmes and Alexander, I am in hopes that I got some decent players for my $1 bids the talent was very depleted at the end.

Good Luck this year, Mr Bill
Going for the Quadruple Crown!!!
Draft Champion, Auction, Main Event and Ultimate.
Ezzell Brothers

Gordon Gekko

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:02 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
thanks to MrBill for springing for the beer and Chris Schrinker for buying round 2. Much appreciated, fellas - and it made a long event more tolerable.ditto

Originally posted by Dyv:
I'll wait for rosters to be posted for some more thoughts on who's going to be tough - anyone else like their team a ton? hate it? So-So?
QB – T.Green; J.Garcia
RB – D.McAllister; D.Blaylock; M.Williams; G.Jones; A.Smith; T.Hambrick
WR – D.Branch; A.Johnson; Rod Smith; Tim Brown; J.McCariens; B.Stokley
TE – T.Gonzalez; J.Stephens
K – D.Akers; D.Brien
D – Packers; Steelers

If Moe Williams can do close to what he did last year and I can play musical defense every week, I think I stand a decent chance.

Thoughts?

[ September 06, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

JerseyPaul

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:53 pm

I have Moe on all 3 of my teams.

ultimatefs

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:05 pm

Had a good time at this draft. It was great meeting John Deere.

McCown, Barlow, M.Faulk, Harrison, Porter, Lloyd, K.Washington, Crumpler, Vandy, Tenn, and very thin the rest of the way.

I'm strong on the FA wire, so I have no worries. I'm toast if I get any injuries.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Kevin L

Las Vegas Auction League

Post by Kevin L » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:49 am

Hey Ezell, you had a strong start but we are ALL sure glad you didn't any more studs to go with holmes and alexander....

Looking at the division, I think it will be tough across the board.....Ezell, Cushard, Gekko and a couple of boys from Louisiana.

Sure was a tough group to bid against.....
I still think the guy that got stuck for $14 on Boo Williams, that was a crock of ****!!!! We all knew what happpened and what he heard and enough of us voiced our concerns.....except for the Boston guy!!!!