QB Height

wayne123

QB Height

Post by wayne123 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Derek Anderson is close to 6'6". He may even be that tall once his head finishes swelling from his new contract. My fantasy football question to the diehards is:

How much consideration do you give height when picking your QBs?

Does it have any real statistical correlation to passing statistics or is this just a myth based on the logic that "they can see over the line better"?

Are tall QBs more or less prone to injury?

The NFL pundits seem to think it is a really important attribute. I am not convinced. Any comments?
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

sportsbettingman

QB Height

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Until you get five 5'5" sumo O-linemen...the short QB's will never see over them.

Sure...most pass patterns are trying to create "windows" to the WR/TE/RB...but if the windows only have helmets in their way...as opposed to full shoulder width walls...you have more of a chance. If you have to extend the play every other play due to scrambling to see a target...you increase the chances for a holding, or an illigal man downfield, or a sack. Not only that...but you creat "backyard football" where plays are worthless if they are speed/timing patterns. Everything needs to be more add-lib/ street-ball.

Look at the NFL Hall of Fame...no shortie QB's there.

~Lance

[ March 01, 2008, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

eddietheking

QB Height

Post by eddietheking » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Joe Montana was barely 6" and I remember Steve Young saying he often threw the ball to where the receiver was supposed to be even though he couldn't see him.
And I liked watching Doug Flutie play, seemed to succeed
as far as height , remember Dan McQuire's brother beign 6' 8 " and he couldn't play for the Seahawks, takes a skill set , not just height to be a quality QB. Hell, Ryan Leaf is tall!!! LOL

Diesel

QB Height

Post by Diesel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 am

I know times are changing, and people just seem to be getting taller, but at this moment, the tallest QB in the NFL Hall of Fame is only 6' 4"...Dan Marino...

Now 6' 4" isn't short, but it isn't monstrous. I'm going to have to do some research on this.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Diesel

QB Height

Post by Diesel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 am

Here are the heights of some of today's QB's...

Tom Brady- 6' 4"

Carson Palmer- 6' 5"

Peyton Manning- 6' 5"

Eli Manning- 6' 4"

Derek Anderson- 6' 6"

Drew Brees- 6' 0"

Brett Favre- 6' 2"

Jeff Garcia- 6' 2"

J. Delhomme- 6' 2"

M. Hassellbeck- 6' 4"

J. Campbell- 6' 5"

Jay Cutler- 6' 3"

D. Garrard- 6' 1"

Tony Romo- 6' 2"

Ben Roethlisberger- 6' 5"

Matt Shaub- 6' 5"

Dante' Culpepper- 6' 4"

Cleo Lemon- 6' 2"

Matt Leinart- 6' 5"

Donovan Mcnabb- 6' 2"

Kurt Warner- 6' 2"

Hopefully, this gives more info to you diehards.

[ March 03, 2008, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]

BillyWaz

QB Height

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 am

I was just thinking that Brees was short, and he seems to do pretty well.

Just something else to micromanage IMO. As someone already mentioned, Joe Montana seemed to make it work. ;)

I didn't realize Garrard was only 6'1". Maybe it is because he is as wide as he is tall? :eek:

Team Canada

QB Height

Post by Team Canada » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 am

I'm suprised nobody mentioned Tony Romo but isn't he short and fairly productive...
If you were to actually consider this when ranking fantasy qb's, you then would probably do an average lineman height and uh oh now it affects your recievers your #1 is on the right side generally so if you have a tall RT does that mean the wr loses value.
With 2 of the shortest qb's in the league right at the top in points(Romo,Brees) I'll be looking more at system and o-line but height will not be factored.
Someone spoke of Flutie's balls getting tipped but didn't Rob (very tall) Johnson have more tipped and way more sacks with the same o-line?
2008 double playoffs!!

sportsbettingman

QB Height

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:37 am

I may be old fashioned, but I've never heard someone say that 6'0" is short for a QB.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Diesel

QB Height

Post by Diesel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
I may be old fashioned, but I've never heard someone say that 6'0" is short for a QB.

~Lance 6' 0" is average height in these days.

I remember watching the Knicks of the 1990's...And noticing that John Starks looked like a dwarf on that team...I went to a game once(front 12 seats), and found out that the dwarf looked like a freaking giant next to me...LOL...I think he was 6' 4"...

The thing is, reports always give a little more, to give it the WOW factor. Drew Brees may be 5' 11 1/2", which would be a no-no for a starter. Hence, the 6'0" label...I wonder how many other QB's are given the "curve'?