I've Got The 12th Pick Tonight: NOW WHAT?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:10 am

Okay, I'm working my butt off to get all of these NFFC leagues filled and all of the hotel banquet orders finalized and facilitators set and the rest of my duties, and now I've gotta prepare for tonight's FPC Online Draft. My buddy Dave took care of me with the 12th pick in the draft, so thank goodness they have 3RR.

What, no Third Round Reversal?? What the hell? Dave, expect a phone call tonight. :D Dammit, I'd drive to Appleton right now to complain but 1) You're younger and in better shape than me right now; and 2) I can't drive there that fast, avoid all the deer on the road back home and still get back in time to draft. :D

Okay, so I have to make due with this 12th pick. Lowy is smack-talking from the second spot and will probably get an injured Arian Foster as the foundation of his team. I'm at the back of the class trying to keep up with those top round star feeders. I'll do my best.

Okay, I need help if you want the NFFC to bring home the six-figure prize. Give me some early advice on the 1-2 turn and then what you think I'll be able to get at the 3-4 turn. I have plenty of options at the first and second turns and any number of players could be available for me early.

I'm ready: Give me the advice. Then I'll post my team as it goes. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

particra

Post by particra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 am

FFPC is all about RBs and TEs If you start WR/WR, you're basically screwed. You have to hope a RB falls to you.

You have maybe a 20% chance of getting McFadden. More likely something like MJD/Fitz or MJD/Nicks.

Don't take a QB in the first 6 rounds.

particra

Post by particra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:23 am

Best case scenario for you:

1.) Fitz
2.) MJD
3.) Finley
4.) Jones/Blount/Greene
5.) Manningham
6.) Britt

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 am

Based on what I saw in my draft last week I think stud WR/top RB is the way to go at the turn. I am partial to stud QBs but I agree you can wait here if you want without too much of a worry. I think one of the keys is to get three RBs you believe can start for you. I wasn't able to do that - although my WRs are terrific and my QB is a stud so maybe that will offset the lack of a strong RB3.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
FFPC is all about RBs and TEs If you start WR/WR, you're basically screwed. You have to hope a RB falls to you.
Well, that's interesting. I've never heard anyone take that position before.

gomizzouman

Post by gomizzouman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

Don't follow the herd!
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

particra

Post by particra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:31 am

Agreed. By picks 60/61, you might have a chance to get a Hightower or Benson, but the RBs will basically be gone. You need 2 by then. The value in the mid-rounds is at WR.

Also, draft at least 3 TEs. Even a mid-level, TE2 type like Dustin Keller projects to score as much as someone like Lance Moore. Guys like Keller, Fred Davis, Celek are all viable flex options.

particra

Post by particra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:34 am

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Hells Satans:
Well, that's interesting. I've never heard anyone take that position before.
[/QUOTE]Really? It's possible (probable?) I'm a idiot, but the point structure and the fact that you only need to start 2 makes WRs inherently less valuable. The run on TEs doesn't impact RBs, it impacts WRs, allowing for good value later.

Unless you get lucky, i think it's difficult to recover from not taking a RB until 36/37.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 am

12 is VERY rough in that format this year.

No 3RR, and generally the RB's and TE's are gone by the time round 3 hits.

Last year drafted my ME team from there and started Roddy, Finley, McCoy, Forte. Even with the Finley injury and a horrible 5/6 turn, I finished 3rd in my league.

You CAN skip the RB's at the first turn, but it is tough. I would go RB/WR and "go with the flow" of the draft.

Good luck! :D

telestar

Post by telestar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 am

Greg: My two cents (take it for what it's worth) is to see where you can get an advantage. It won't necessarily be to follow everyone and take a good RB. So priority #1 is to take a top guy who falls back a little. I would certainly consider DMC and Fitz if available. Priority #2 would be to take a lead/risk in a position. So I am talking about guys like Vick (could be great but an injury risk); CJohnson (holding out). Then at the #25 you could think about Gates/Finley to create an advantage at TE. Of course do what you think best, but consider trying to get the upper hand when possible.