The Draft & Running Back By Committee (weber's thread)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:07 am

I had to delete weber's original thread about this. My apologies to weber but we're done putting up with the kind of BS that has hurt these boards in the past. If people can't figure that out by now, we will have to take stronger action.

So here is Mike's post from that thread. Feel free to post your comments in this thread and please keep the posts on topic. Thank you.

- RBBC just got worse today and created alot of new questions for the draft.. Marion Barber, who many have as a 1st rounder just got someone to steal carries from him today.. a pick that in my mind puts barber in the second round...

- Willie Parker, healty goes top 10, now? 2nd round i would bet.. say goodbye to goalline carries.. not that they were there in 07.

- Im sure there will be more, however getting that guy who is the stud no. 1 and who stays healty just got that much more difficult.

- Cmon, Raiders? there are 4 guys in the mix. Of course mcfadden will start, but you have fargas and bush in the mix, (i'll ignore rhodes for now).

i do like the booker trade to eagles.. if westy goes down, he will fit perfectly into that offense and they will not lose a beat.. end of last year booker looked very good out of backfield.

[ April 27, 2008, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:12 am

In my opinion, Tennessee, Carolina, Kansas City, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Oakland, Chicago, and Pittsburgh etc. ALL "muddied the waters" with the drafting of another RB today and yesterday.

It certainly does place a premium on the few standing RB's that are their team's "man".

As I said on the previous thread, Tennessee was the biggest surprise to me, as they obviously have a huge need for WR (and had their choice of ANY on the board), and they took Chris Johnson of East Carolina. I don't think they took him to NOT contribute in some way to their team this year.

Also gotta believe they had Rashard Mendenhall written on the card and thought that there was no way Pittsburgh was snagging him. :eek:

[ April 27, 2008, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

renman

Post by renman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:46 am

Billy,

I know you are also a big Steeler fan like I am. Was there a team that was more thin at RB than Pittsburgh? Think about it.. Their #1 guy was not even drafted in the NFL and is coming off a major injury. Their second guy, Davenport is just a big plodding guy (though talented) who has never been able to stay healthy in his career. They had some spare parts behind those two (though I like Davis some).

I think Mendenhall is an ideal fit even though as a Steeler fan I think the offensive line is much weaker than most think and I had hoped with this draft stacked full of good tackles that the Steelers would do something there. At least drafting Mendenhall means the Steelers wont grab Shawn Alexander on the cheap...

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 am

McFadden should be part of some sort of RBBC. I'm pretty sure he knew that when the Raiders took him.

It looked to me like McFadden wasn't thrilled with being taken by Oakland. It was one of those half-smiles, where he's happy to be in the NFL. But damn, the Raiders! lol

[ April 27, 2008, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:34 am

I agree Renman, and while a fellow Steeler fan called me yesterday and was not happy with the pick, I told him although not a glaring need, I LOVED Mendenhall.

He is the most complete back Pittsburgh has had in quite some time IMO. Can run between the tackles, can catch, a better than average blocker.... I see him as the future of the Steelers at RB, and those in dynasty leagues should gobble him QUICKLY!

As for this year, he will be worked into the Pittsburgh run game, and shouldn't have a very big impact unless Parker is injured.

Just all my opinion of course! :D

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:05 am

WAZ,I agree totally with your assumption.Marhall Faulk was down on him,due to his "FUMBLITIS",AND ALSO CALLED HIM A 1 YEAR WONDER.I personally think Willie will be fine,but as usual won't get the goal line carries.Personally I think "BIG BEN"is the answer.32 td's could definately be a shot again.I love the addition of LIMAS and HOLMES should get stronger,with HINES WARD slowly giving up his #1 spot.With a healthy HEATH MILLER the table should be set for an explosive year for the BLACK and GOLD.Add 2 games vs. clevland and cinny,the tote board should look like a running slot machine at FOXWOODS.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:49 am

Originally posted by kapefear:
WAZ,I agree totally with your assumption.Marhall Faulk was down on him,due to his "FUMBLITIS",AND ALSO CALLED HIM A 1 YEAR WONDER.I personally think Willie will be fine,but as usual won't get the goal line carries.Personally I think "BIG BEN"is the answer.32 td's could definately be a shot again.I love the addition of LIMAS and HOLMES should get stronger,with HINES WARD slowly giving up his #1 spot.With a healthy HEATH MILLER the table should be set for an explosive year for the BLACK and GOLD.Add 2 games vs. clevland and cinny,the tote board should look like a running slot machine at FOXWOODS. Not unless they find a way to keep Ben off the turf. Only 6 teams gave up more sacks in 2007 and the 2008 line is minus a pro bowl guard. :eek:

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Did the Vikings draft someone named Booty? I saw something about Minnesota picking up Booty, and I thought there might have been another pleasure cruise. ;)
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:30 pm

He is the QB from USC Diesel, and he was better than Tavaris Jackson when he was a Senior in HS!

Doesn't matter though, as they have "galloping Gus" Frerotte, and I think he would be next in line for playing time.

Booty could be good down the road though! :D

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:06 pm

It's clear that the league has offically changed with respect to running backs.. it's understandable because alot of the backs just can't take the pounding. Say goodbye to the E.smith and T.Davis days..

Im a little late back to this post however, Titans? would you take one of their backs?

You have LT, SJ, Ad.Peterson (who splits a little time), Im not going to name every team, but i suspect it's like 75% of teams that have a RBBC situation occuring.. i think the money is either get a top 3 pick or draft in later rounds to get the WR's who are no. 1 guys. More emphasis on the QB's and TE's .. then just let the cards fall where they may.

So many questions this year to unravel. makes drafting early in the SATs very difficult...

Billy, i agree, Jackson on MN is just horrible. that offense would be better with anyone else in there.. I think it has to be Frerotte or Booty (good value pick for them)...
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com