For those interested in roster expanding

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:28 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
I will be joining you guys in the main this season. Be sure to look at the top of the standings to see how I'm doing. I may make it to orlando and do the disney trip as well. My daughter has gone there 2 out of the last 3 years, so I don't know if she needs to go 3 out of 4!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Originally posted by da bears:
True I'll be playing in the baseball main event for the first time this year..so look out NFBC veterans :D Good to have u matt!!!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:41 pm

The larger the roster.... the less value of free agency. I think, free agency is 1/3 of the game. 1/3 Draft, 1/3 roster management, and 1/3 free agency. I think thats the perfect mix and would not mess with these settings. If you wanted to add 1 spot for IR, ( where you could pic-up an extra spot till that player returns, i would see the value in that, but any thing more is just a preference, not a meaningful adjustment ),what makes me laugh, is when i see people make these suggestions for changing the settings, 99 % of the time its because they think it will benefit them and help them win. I keep comming back to this point, if everyone is playing by the same settings, NO ONE HAS AN ADVANTAGE.

And as far as Luck vs. Skill..... just as in everything in Life ... ITS 50/50 . Half of Life and this game is what you get dealt, the other half is what you do with what you get dealt.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

da bears

Post by da bears » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:08 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
True I'll be playing in the baseball main event for the first time this year..so look out NFBC veterans :D Good to have u matt!!! [/QUOTE]Thanks Mark! Looking forward to the challenge to competing with you guys and of course another opportunity to hang out with Greg in Vegas :D
Bauler Shot Caller

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

For all those that are out already or who are frustrated, fantasy baseball season is right around the corner. You've already started to get ready, have you not GG?

And that's not a dig about your team, more about getting ready to win the 100K. I will be joining you guys in the main this season. Be sure to look at the top of the standings to see how I'm doing.
[/QUOTE]GLY: you bet I have! Once I saw how much skill and time committment factored into winning at fantasy baseball, how could u not? If u have skill and can make the time committment, you'll win money every year in fantasy baseball. The same names are at the top of the leaderboard EVERY year. You can't say that about fantasy football.
[/QUOTE]Agree 100%. No luck, all skill...well mostly.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm

quote:Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
I will be joining you guys in the main this season. Be sure to look at the top of the standings to see how I'm doing. I may make it to orlando and do the disney trip as well. My daughter has gone there 2 out of the last 3 years, so I don't know if she needs to go 3 out of 4! [/QUOTE]How old is the little one?

My wife was born and raised down here....going to Disney was equivalent to the rest of us going to a local park when we were younger. I'm glad she didn't want to continue that lifestyle since it cost an arm and a leg to go....I think that's why Jeff sacrificed his limbs. :D
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:49 pm

This is my first year with NFFC. I have been a WCOFF participant since year #2. I often wonder why soon after the season starts why the message boards begin to promote changes in the event rules. Change the rosters, change the draft, change the scoring, change the free agent process, etc. These posts begin regardless of the success and the overwhelming acceptance the event

I decided to participate in the NFFC this year because it is unique.
14 Teams
18 man rosters
KDS
3RR
Although I am getting my ……ss handed to me this year I will be back next year for the same reason, NFFC is unique. It's not broke and it does not need fixing, it does not even need a tune-up. Play on!

drago

Post by drago » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:36 pm

I am not in favor of expanding the rosters at all. With a 14 team league, adding 28 picks means that there will be no defenses, kickers, or top backup QB's available on the FA market. As it stands now you can always count on picking up a D or K for a bye week filler. With expansion, teams will make sure that every D and K are picked IMO. The NFFC is unique and the free agent bidding is fun. Why mess with it?

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:57 pm

I've decided to try another approach, I'm for 11 man rosters. This way it is a free-for-all every week in the FAAB. :D
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:01 am

Since I started this thread let me make something clear.

I DO NOT want things changed. I like it just the way it is and brought up this idea/topic simply because I have seen many debate and discuss this issue. I still have yet to see anyone even address the original point of the thread from the very first post.

A few things.

-I would argue making the rosters 20 at the start of the season HURTS the teams who get hurt by injury more than they are being hurt now. The teams who get riddled with injury with important players will have way less talent to go after on the free agent wire. Healthier teams do not have the same desperation to grab a Ward or whomever.

-I like that hard decisions have to be made with roster management. The good owners are often making moves 2 or even 3 weeks in advance. I know catostrophic injury can change all of this (I tasted it this week) and I know many have unfortunately run into that this year.

I still would be interested in hearing pros and cons of the original idea I threw out to start this topic/thread. I am not saying I want that, I just was interested in responses as to why it would or would not work.

[ October 09, 2007, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: renman ]