Friday-Sunday football chat thread...

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
RBBC. NFL teams are in love with it this year. Fantasy owners hate it!!! :D Doesn't everyone seem to be going towards rotating backfields this year? I think the workhorse will become a thing of the past. With that said, us fantasy players will just have to adjust our plans even more than we already have, going forward.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri May 02, 2008 10:52 am

To go even deeper into the "RBBC" this year, I say it's the return of the fantasy fullback. Greg Jones is now the all time highest paid fullback. I would expect to see more of him in the gameplan with that type of salary. *Also, I see Larry Centers cringing when he found out about how much Greg Jones' new contract was for.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Fri May 02, 2008 2:21 pm

DIESEL,Is your love for WESTBROOK growing even more? remember what I told you last Saturday.I personally think that if you get a top 5 pick your safe"barring injury",otherwise its a crap shoot and the "high" end wr's,qb's abd te.'s are the safer play in the earlier rounds.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat May 03, 2008 1:47 am

kapefear, IF Philly signs Chad Johnson, I have Westbrook as low as 3-4. If Chad doesn't go to Philly, and Westbrook is forced to be the only weapon again, he goes a little higher. I've been to his wedding, so it wouldn't bother me to go to his funeral. ;)

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Sat May 03, 2008 7:24 am

diesel,rumor has it you caught the bouquet and still have a bar tab.I can see your point and the numbers don't lie,but age,wear and tear,and a tough division could add up to a long year.I"like a lot of people" got crushed by injuries last year.I had steven jackson at#2 last year and would have to make decision between jackson,addai,westbrook,peterson.TOUGH CALL,especially with KOLB warming up in the bullpen.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat May 03, 2008 7:54 am

I hope I get to make that decision at #2 this year. I've been hit hard with injuries every year in the main event. I'm not looking to do that again this year. But Westbrook, even though he's an injury risk, would be really hard to pass up if I had a spot around 4-5 in the draft. You can say "I told you so" if I take him this year...lol

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat May 03, 2008 9:22 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
RBBC. NFL teams are in love with it this year. Fantasy owners hate it!!! :D Doesn't everyone seem to be going towards rotating backfields this year? As a result, what I think you'll see more of this year in the Drafts are Fantasy teams spending two consecutive mid-round picks to lock up a RBBC backfield, instead of picking half of that backfield and then hoping for the best.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun May 04, 2008 3:11 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
RBBC. NFL teams are in love with it this year. Fantasy owners hate it!!! :D Doesn't everyone seem to be going towards rotating backfields this year? As a result, what I think you'll see more of this year in the Drafts are Fantasy teams spending two consecutive mid-round picks to lock up a RBBC backfield, instead of picking half of that backfield and then hoping for the best. [/QUOTE]I don't see this working unless you're banking on a 50/50 split or major injuries again.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
RBBC. NFL teams are in love with it this year. Fantasy owners hate it!!! :D Doesn't everyone seem to be going towards rotating backfields this year? As a result, what I think you'll see more of this year in the Drafts are Fantasy teams spending two consecutive mid-round picks to lock up a RBBC backfield, instead of picking half of that backfield and then hoping for the best. [/QUOTE]I don't see this working unless you're banking on a 50/50 split or major injuries again.
[/QUOTE]I'm not really referring to a 50-50 split, but instead taking advantage of an initial RBBC that then turns into one of the RB's clearly separating and becoming the primary ball carrier. This can occur via injury, or is more likely to occur early in the season when one of the RB's so clearly outshines the other (like Marion Barber over Julius Jones, Adrian Peterson over Chester Taylor for example) that he then becomes the real deal in the backfield. By locking up the backfield in the draft, you might get a RB stud.

Possible examples include:

ReShard Mendenhall / Willie Parker

Jonathon Stewart / DeAngelo Williams

Darren McFadden / Michael Bush (probably)

Using this approach (which I'm NOT necessarily advocating, I'm just outlining the strategy) could turn a pair of Middle Round picks into a solid Second Round value. This could be especially valuable if you go QB-WR or WR-WR in the first two Rounds.

Just something to think about.

Paul

[ May 04, 2008, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Shrink Attack ]
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun May 04, 2008 3:02 pm

I see your point and it is something to consider. I can't see myself following this logic, but I can definitely see it being employed. :cool: