Top 15 RBs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 4:42 am

Next up on our positional discussion are the running backs. This is going to be a crazy year for RBs given the impact made by rookies last year and the increasing number of teams using a RBBC approach. Here are the Top 15 RBs listed in our first issue:

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Matt Forte
3. Maurice Jones-Drew
4. Michael Turner
5. Brian Westbrook
6. Chris Johnson
7. Steven Jackson
8. LaDainian Tomlinson
9. DeAngelo Williams
10. Steve Slaton
11. Frank Gore
12. Marion Barber
13. Clinton Portis
14. Brandon Jacobs
15. Reggie Bush

COMMENTS: The Top 3 RBs appear to be locked into place right now. The only question is the order. Peterson has been the No. 1 pick in most drafts but Forte snuck into the top spot in one of the drafts in our first issue. If Peterson goes first, you can bet on Forte and MJD being the next two picks more often than not. No other player cracked the Top 3 in our three magazine drafts.

Forte isn't the only 2008 rookie RB who has vaulted up the rankings. Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton are RB1s as well. Fantasy owners don't believe Michael Turner is going to suffer a decline as he went 4th in all three of our magazine drafts. Despite late-season injuries the past two seasons and the emergence of Darren Sproles, LT remains a Top 10 pick. He went 8th, 9th and 7th in our three drafts so fantasy owners clearly continue to view him as a strong RB1.

Here's a look at where our Top 15 RBs went in our three magazine drafts:

Peterson 1,1, 3
Forte 3,3, 1
Jones-Drew 2,2,2
Turner 4, 4, 4
Westbrook 5, 7, 6
Johnson 7, 5, 8
Jackson 6, 8, 5
Tomlinson 8, 9, 7
Williams 13, 6, 9
Slaton 9, 11, 11
Gore 12, 10, 10
Barber 10, 12, 13
Portis 11, 13, 15
Jacobs 14, 12, 14
Bush 15, 17, 12

Thoughts?

[ May 12, 2009, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 am

Wow, no mention of Joe Addai or Derrick Ward. Looks like some nice value to be had in the 3rd round or later.

I think LT is a couple spots too high, but that's just a matter or preference.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 am

I won't touch Addai unless I can get him as my RB7 at the end of the draft. But that's not because I'm steamed at that worthless pile of dung for his poor 2007 season.

Honest. :D

Ward's stock is on the rise. But Earnest Graham is a good RB so even if Ward starts I expect Graham to be involved. I could see Ward creeping into the Top 20 before it's all said and done but the fact he's going to be in a committee lowers his value in my eyes. I do like him a lot as a RB3 and I'd probably be content with him as a RB2 if I loaded up on WRs early, or if I took one of the elite QBs in the second or third round.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 am

My honest opinion about Addai is that he's a soft, injury-prone RB who lacks the talent to shine unless everything is lined up just perfectly for him. He's been awful dating back to the second half of the 2006 season. That's a long period of poor production which simply cannot be ignored in my opinion. I don't think Donald Brown is a stud RB but neither was Dominic Rhodes and in my opinion he was a much better RB last season than Addai. So I could see Brown emerging as the RB to own in the Indy backfield. Certainly, his value is better at the present time.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Tue May 12, 2009 5:13 am

I would have thought DeAngelo would be ranked higher after such a good year! Like your top 4, the middle is personel preference I think. Gore and Portis might go big this coming season, both tend to get nicked a bit though, same with Westbrook and S Jack.
No rookies listed!
3rd and 4th round starting RB2s and 3s will be in abundance for drafts, interesting how draft philosophy has changed from you had to draft RBs 1,2 and sometimes 3rd round and now we see WRs sometimes 1 and often 2,3.
When is the magazine coming out? Look forward to it!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Wow, no mention of Joe Addai or Derrick Ward. Looks like some nice value to be had in the 3rd round or later.

I think LT is a couple spots too high, but that's just a matter or preference. Addai went 22nd, 24th, 23rd
Ward went 24th, 21st, 25th

I think Ward could be great value in Tampa as well.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue May 12, 2009 6:20 am

I doubt very much that there will be a consensus order for RBs this year and feel that the top tier is deeper than in the past as the usage and talent levels are quite different for those backs.

I have Jackson and Slaton higher and still do not believe that Johnson is going to be THE featured back in that offense so he drops a tad in my feeble mind.

Your 4th draft of the year on the 21st may have another RB crack the top 3.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 am

Bush and Jacobs both seem to miss 3 or 4 games each year, so I'd be inclined to take R Grant before either of them. Additionally, Bush loses quite a bit of his value here with only 1/2 ppr.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 am

Bush ranked 14th in the NFFC in average points per game among RBs. Durability is a major concern but when healthy he's a fine fantasy RB because he's going to gobble up receptions. Of the Top 15 RBs in NFFC scoring, only two caught more passes than Bush and he missed six games. He's representing great value in drafts right now in my opinion. The only thing is if you draft him you have to make sure you're strong in terms of RB depth because it's a virtual certainty he'll miss time.

As far as Chris Johnson, he'll continue to be vultured by LenDale which will suck but I expect him to get more carries and more receptions as well this season. The Titans have vowed to make him an even bigger part of their offense and I think that will enable him to produce Top 5 RB numbers. If LenDale got hurt he could make a run at the Top 3. He's that good in my opinion.

[ May 12, 2009, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Tue May 12, 2009 7:28 am

How much do you think MJD can increase his production with Taylor gone? I know he's a tough SOB, but he's not a true featured back and his upside is limited.

I don't forsee much of an increase in his stats and definitely wouldn't be comfortable selecting him where you have to this season.

From looking at that list, I could easily see another 5-7 RB's, who shall remain nameless, finishing in the top 15.

I guess that's why it's best to set our KDS 1-14 to ensure we get one of those top RB's. :D
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL