PAID FANTASY FOOTBALL INFORMATIONAL SITES? WORTH IT?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 am

I thought a bump on this thread was in order.

In 2007, I paid for fantasy sites for their information, "as a tool" as GK has put it.

In 2008, I didn't pay any money for websites to give me info during the season, on who to start, and who's hot and who's not...And who's up and coming...etc...

In 2008, I won MUCH more money than I won in 2007.

This doesn't include the mag that Greg and Tom put out. I love to read those. I also like to look at Russ' rankings. Sorry for those who hate it if you bump somebody's business here...But it's good to see ADP's for food for thought.

My final opinion on this matter is, YOU are in charge of your own fantasy destiny. If you are going to subscribe to a website that tells YOU what to do week in and out, be prepared to live and die by THEIR calls. I'd rather go by my own feel for the MoJo, and there are plenty of free sites that tell you inactives on gamedays, without a subscription.

If I still ad my stars up here, I'm sure a few of you would vote me down, but I thought I'd give my two cents here. Most of you know I let everyone know when I BOMB, so please don't kill me if I voice my opinion here after a decent season of fantasy.

P.S. I am FINALLY admitting Adrian Peterson is NOT the best #2 RB in fantasy(as I've said in the past). He's top 5 material. But I still wouldn't risk my season on his brittle butt.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:12 pm

I am not sure that the success of the owner of a paid info site has any value in determining whether or not the site is worth the investment.

1) how do you know that the web site owner is using the same information to draft his teams as he is selling you?

2) rather than know how the web site owner did in various leagues how about knowing how the paid customers did in their leagues....probably a better indication of value for any paid info.

I subscribe to BFD because of the early look at conducted money drafts. I agree with Snake as to the usefulness and purpose of paid info.

If you went with Lou's Jones/Jets play you did ok.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that some of the paid sites do not have value (depending on your needs and expectations).

[ January 04, 2009, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Mike Costaglio ]

renman

Post by renman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:30 am

I make my own rankings and use a site or two simply as a research tool to generate information or comparisons that otherwise I would not be able to do. I can't get access to every NFL game to break down which tight end got the most targets. I have no access to some of the detailed statistical information that these sites can provide. I also like to use the site to get a sense of where players are getting ranked and rated. I know that even if I make my own personal rankings, the vast majority of fantasy players will be taking players based on what these sites say. So it is useful for me to know how others are going to slot the talent.

Old School

Post by Old School » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:14 am

Renman has it right on....

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:52 pm

I don't subscribe to paid ff websites but I have thought about it. I did subscribe to a fantasy baseball site last year and I didn't feel like it gave me any edge over the competition.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 am

I don't want to promote one service or another for obvious reasons but since a lot of this thread has been about John Hansen I thought I'd chime in. John's was the first pay service I subscribed to back in the 90s when I was covering the Packers and before I got into the fantasy industry. The strength of his site was one of the main reasons why I pushed so hard for us to publish his magazine when we started doing custom publication work a few years ago.

No site or service is going to get them all right. John will miss on guys and predictions like everyone else. But he's one of the top "experts" in the industry in my opinion and I believe his site reflects that.

At the end of the day, though, my advice would always be to trust your gut and your instincts. If you subscribe to John's site, or footballguys or anyone else and they rank a player you like lower than someone you don't, go with your gut and start the guy you believe will do well. Now if you consistently start players who don't do well then perhaps you can lean on their rankings more. ;) But seriously, use the information they provide and we provide and everyone provides as a guide. I wouldn't let it be the ultimate source for who to draft and who to start.

One of the biggest keys to winning in my opinion is acquiring as much information as possible so you can make informed decisions. But the most enjoyable way to play this game in my opinion is doing so with the team you want and the players you want. It may not always work, but when it does it tends to be real real sweet.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich