Tom & Greg Live Chat: 3 pm ET Today

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 am

Originally posted by GK:
...TK, if you were going to take an educated guess on who has a real opportunity to be a top 10 player at all of the skill positions (QB, RB, WR, TE) and can be drafted AFTER the 10th round who might they be (name two at each position if you can please)?...thanks much...GK Didn't I answer this question for you in a chat already, Glenn? :D OK, here's a list and hopefully it's at least close to the one I posted previously.

QB - Chad Henne
RB - Bernard Scott if Benson gets hurt/Marshawn Lynch if he's traded to Seattle.
WR - Nate Burleson if Megatron gets hurt.
TE - Dustin Keller
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
A couple more critical technical questions....

1- What protections have been put in place to assure that we won't have the issues in FAAB that we've seen in the NFBC this year?

2- Is position eligibility being double checked now to assure that there aren't the arguments and debates I've seen there as well? Will there be or is there a list showing position eligibility that will carry through the season available somewhere for review as there are a number of hybrid type players whose value would increase depending upon how they're listed? Will this list be coordinated with the player listings in the draft software & FAAB to avoid further confusion & incorrect moves?

3- When Fanball ran the back end for the FFOC last year, there was at least one instance that the servers were down for quite some time on Sunday morning and the ability to making final set lineups were affected. What protections have been provided to assure this doesn't happen with the NFFC's back end? Will there be customer service in place on a Sunday morning to assure that if this does occur, we're all not just bombarding you two on your cellphones?

Again thanks,
Glenn 1. FAAB didn't work in Week 1 in the NFBC because of two parts of the back-end that fought for data. I don't know how else to say it, but that was fixed and hasn't interfered with FAAB since. As you know Glenn, FAAB results are available every Sunday night within five minutes and we run 180+ leagues in baseball. Two weeks ago there was a network server problem 35 minutes before the Sunday FAAB deadline and fortunately I was online at the time and we extended the deadline 90 minutes to make sure everyone got their bids in. Last Sunday, some people said the network was slow the last 25 minutes, but FAAB went off as scheduled. I think the FAAB setup with Conditional Bids and Free Agent Quick is very nice in baseball and this football product has been fully tested for FAAB in past years and won't be a problem.

2. This is for football? We do have player rankings on the site and within the draft software and the position they are assigned now is what their position is in the NFFC. Dexter McCluster is a WR in the NFFC, if that's what you're asking for.

3. Fanball has customer service reps available on Sundays, but I've always said Tom and I are your customer service reps. If a server is down company wide, I would think we'd be told about it in a hurry. I don't know what happened with FFOC last year, but I've seen the full floor of servers that Fanball uses and I'd say they are well equipped. But anything is possible and folks know that even in past years we had slow servers during the lap-over of baseball and football with our past provider. Anything can happen, but I sure hope NOTHING happens this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Bruce0726

Post by Bruce0726 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 am

I know a few years ago NFFC went to 3rd RR to "even out" the playing field. Is there any data or any possibility in the future to revert back to just snake draft for NFFC next year?
2006 $250 Satellite League Champ, H2H Champ, Point leader;2010 $250 Satellite League Champ and Pt leader

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 am

Glenn, I don't expect Marshall to drop off. He's a major talent and he's playing with a better QB this season than last. While the Dolphins have some decent WRs around him, none are close to his talent level so I expect him to rack up plenty of targets. And that means plenty of receptions.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 am

Originally posted by Bruce In FL:
I know a few years ago NFFC went to 3rd RR to "even out" the playing field. Is there any data or any possibility in the future to revert back to just snake draft for NFFC next year? I think if you look at past data for last year's league champions and league point leaders, it was as balanced in the 14-team event as we've ever had it. I'm not saying 3RR did that, but it was very balanced.

In the 12-team Primetime and Online Championship events, the back end teams fared much better than the middle and front ends. Again, maybe 3RR influenced that, maybe not.

I've always said that 3RR with KDS is fantastic for the players and I hope our new members who are seeing 3RR/KDS in the Online Championship like it. But if folks want the NFFC to go back to serpentine without KDS/3RR starting next year I'll do it. You're not alone in asking for this and we'll see, maybe 2011 will bring it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Bruce0726

Post by Bruce0726 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 am

On a draft related question, I have the first pick in a league. The mock's I have done (14 team league), after taking CJ, I have been taking a QB/WR with 2nd and 3rd picks. The 4th pick, frequently has been a TE (V Davis/J Witten/Finley). Is this too early for a 2nd tier TE in your exper opinions?
2006 $250 Satellite League Champ, H2H Champ, Point leader;2010 $250 Satellite League Champ and Pt leader

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 am

On a draft related question, I have the first pick in a league. The mock's I have done (14 team league), after taking CJ, I have been taking a QB/WR with 2nd and 3rd picks. The 4th pick, frequently has been a TE (V Davis/J Witten/Finley). Is this too early for a 2nd tier TE in your exper opinions? For me, it depends on what you get with your first three picks. I don't think it's too early because the talent is clearly there. For me, though, the talent is so deep at TE this season that I would be hard-pressed to take one in the fourth round. I'd rather target another position and grab someone like Miller or Cooley later.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for the responses on my technical questions Greg...I appreciate it. (and yes, McCluster was one of the guys I was curious about, Cribbs another )

Now a couple signups questions....

1- Online Championships - Reviewing the NFFC Online Championships signup page, I noticed one date where two people with the same last name are listed. I'm assuming they may be related and may have even picked the same date hoping to join the league together thinking it would be fun. However, doesn't this create a potential collusion concern? What's the NFFC's policy if it turns out only one league fills for that date and those two were two of the initial twelve signed up?

2- Auction Championships - I know the goal is to fill leagues completely within each city due to the complexity of holding a multi-city auction draft when compared to other formats. However, there's real potential that the leagues don't fill evenly within city. What's the NFFC's game plan if that occurs?

3- Auction & DC Championships - What were the NFFC's preseason goals as far as signups for these two formats? Will they reach them? Will there be any issues if current signups don't increase? What about the goals for the Main & Primetime, what were they and are they still likely to be hit?

Thanks for your time guys,
Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:41 am

On a draft related question, I have the first pick in a league. The mock's I have done (14 team league), after taking CJ, I have been taking a QB/WR with 2nd and 3rd picks. The 4th pick, frequently has been a TE (V Davis/J Witten/Finley). Is this too early for a 2nd tier TE in your exper opinions? It would be for me if you already took a QB. You are leaving yourself waaaaaaaaay too thin at RB2 and WR. What is going to be left for you at RB and WR2 and WR3 after that? I could do it if I went RB/WR/WR maybe because then Witten or Finley is like a WR3, but it's tough for me to pick a TE fourth.