Tom & Greg Live Chat: 3 pm ET Today

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:27 am

Glenn, we're going to talk to them and figure this out. I'm reaching out to them now.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 am

Lord, an Obama/Reid/Pelosi moment from Tom. Like a bad CNN re-run here. With trades not being allowed it pretty much curtails collusion here with the exception of the one week they play each other which could be closely monitored. I know there have been countless discussions on these boards about competitive lineups, etc.

As much as I hate being the devil's advocate here, if you can't stop friends without the same last name from getting in the same league, how fair is it to stop those WITH the same last name from doing it? What's next, Tom, people who have either played in the same league at some point in time in their NFFC career or have said hi and drank at least 3 beers together can't play in the same league because they MIGHT be colluding?
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am

There are ways to collude without trades.

As you pointed out there's the game they play each other.
In addition, there's FAAB blocking, there's dropping a player that your friend may need if he has the most FAAB dollars available, there's stacking your team if out of it for games against your friend/family member's competition, and I'm sure several other ways I'm not thinking about right now.
Of course there's also the possibility as KJ so illustratively pointed out, that one person is running both teams under different names.

I'm not saying they're in it to collude. In fact, I believe they just like the idea of being in the same league because it would be more fun. For example, I joined a DC with my father last year just because we thought it would be a kick to draft against each other. However, there's absolutely no way to collude in a DC.

Again, I don't necessarily believe collusion is the goal here. I am curious of the NFFC's policy however.

Glenn

Max Factor

Post by Max Factor » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:59 am

On line championship 8/29 6pm Darik Buchar listed twice. Is that a clerical error?
Jeff Potok

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Hamilton done for the year - any chance thomas gets 20 touches a game for the saints?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally posted by GK:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
One thing I've noticed in both the pay and mock drafts I've done is the sense of urgency to get a stud QB may be at an all-time high. If you want to get one of the first 7 (Brees, Rogers, Peyton, Brady, Romo, Schaub and Rivers) you better not wait too long. Are people over-reacting or is this the move to make given how important the QB position is both in the NFL and in the NFFC with 6 points per TD pass? ...I've stated this before (many a time as many here know ) but essentialy I feel that it really is absolutely CRITICAL to have a Top 7 QB (or 8 if Crybaby Favre plays) as I have learned the hard way in the past that if there's one position that you simply NEED consistency and high-scoring EACH and EVERY week to separate yourself from the other average masses and herds of FF owners out there it's by getting a top 5 or so QB...simply imho...GK [/QUOTE]Completely agree! We spent early 3rd round picks last year on Rodgers in the Classic and Manning in the Primetime. I still see that as crucial, unless you don't mind playing the luck game on mid-rounders. But if you take a dud, you'll lose 10-15 points/week vs. a top tier QB.

FWIW, I'd swap Cutler in that list for Rivers. ;)

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Glenn, I don't expect Marshall to drop off. He's a major talent and he's playing with a better QB this season than last. While the Dolphins have some decent WRs around him, none are close to his talent level so I expect him to rack up plenty of targets. And that means plenty of receptions. I hope you're right Tom. We've taken Marshall in two NFFC leagues already. :D

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Bruce In FL:
On a draft related question, I have the first pick in a league. The mock's I have done (14 team league), after taking CJ, I have been taking a QB/WR with 2nd and 3rd picks. The 4th pick, frequently has been a TE (V Davis/J Witten/Finley). Is this too early for a 2nd tier TE in your exper opinions? It would be for me if you already took a QB. You are leaving yourself waaaaaaaaay too thin at RB2 and WR. What is going to be left for you at RB and WR2 and WR3 after that? I could do it if I went RB/WR/WR maybe because then Witten or Finley is like a WR3, but it's tough for me to pick a TE fourth. [/QUOTE]I think there are cases where a TE at the end of the 4th isn't so bad: If the RBs and WRs available then are in that dangerous 3rd or 4th tier - where things are wildly unpredictable anyway - what's the difference between the ones you'd get then vs. 26 picks later at the round 5/6 turn? You're still shooting darts at RBBC (which I don't mind ;) ). But if you can get a more "sure thing" TE and now lockup a top RB, QB and TE (plus 1 WR), then you have a solid core. You can then spend your next 2 picks on another RB and WR, and still likely catch a mid-to-late-round WR3 flier.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Originally posted by Max Factor:
On line championship 8/29 6pm Darik Buchar listed twice. Is that a clerical error? Darik signed up twice. I'm assuming that was a mistake but I've contacted him to be sure.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Originally posted by mattjb:
Hamilton done for the year - any chance thomas gets 20 touches a game for the saints? If there are some folks hanging around, I'll be here to answer some questions tonight. Sound good?

Matt, I don't know if Thomas gets 20 touches per game. The Saints are very concerned about overworking him. That's one reason why Bell was so involved last season and why Hamilton was poised for a sleeper role this season. They'll probably give former Badger P.J. Hill a look but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bush get a few more touches now. I think they under-utilized him last season and while I know they also are concerned about keeping him healthy a few more touches for him shouldn't be a major issue.

Right now, Bush's value is way down. He's looking like a nice sleeper pick. Imagine that, huh?

And Rick, to address your question - I agree that as we have grown over the years and many of our participants become friends and know one another it's impossible to prevent Player A from being in the same league with Player B simply because they know one another. In some instances, that's part of the appeal of a particular league if you get to go up against owner(s) who you respect and like and want to compete against.

However, I do think that when possible we need to look at situations where family members are in the same league. If it's a single league there may not be much we can do about it. But if we have multiple leagues, splitting up family members is probably the safest way to go if we can get that accomplished. I also have no reason to suspect there's any remote hint of collusion with the example we're looking at. But I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich