How was B.Edwards catch not a TD?

Old School

Post by Old School » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:25 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
You have to be touched down, he was when the ball crossed the end zone.

Bad call. Agreed. It was a clear TD. I now hate instant replay. They useit but still get it wrong, and they don't use it when they should

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 am

Old school,

I have to say I believe that even though occasionally they get it wrong EVEN WITH instant replay I believe they get MANY MANY more right that would have been wrong without it.

It reminds of of how some people think they lose at blackjack because the guy a couple seats over plays "wrong" by standing on 15 against a king when in reality how the guy 2 seats away from you plays does not hurt you any more than it could help you by changing the sequence of cards. The thing is the gambler only remembers when the guy next to him played "wrong" and that resulted in the dealer getting the card he needed to bust the table. The gambler never remembers the times when someone playing "wrong" resulted in the dealer busting and helping the table.

Same thing happens with instant replay... We only remember the ones they get wrong and forget about the countless ones they get right.

[ October 13, 2009, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:55 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Old school,

I have to say I believe that even though occasionally they get it wrong EVEN WITH instant replay I believe they get MANY MANY more right that would have been wrong without it.

It reminds of of how some people think they lose at blackjack because the guy a couple seats over plays "wrong" by standing on 15 against a king when in reality how the guy 2 seats away from you plays does not hurt you any more than it could help you by changing the sequence of cards. The thing is the gambler only remembers when the guy next to him played "wrong" and that resulted in the dealer getting the card he needed to bust the table. The gambler never remembers the times when someone playing "wrong" resulted in the dealer busting and helping the table.

Same thing happens with instant replay... We only remember the ones they get wrong and forget about the countless ones they get right. Renman

Great analogy. In poker, Phil Helmuth gets angry when an inferior player beats him on a bad play - when taking advantage of their inferior play is what earns him a living.

Braylon's left elbow hit the pylon before the ball crossed the plane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHPHmOTZPk)pause it at the 28 second mark - I know that if the ball touches it that it's a touchdown but what about a bodypart prior to the ball crossing?

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:08 am

I answered my own Q.

Rule 3, Section 20, Article 1) A player or an Official is Out of Bounds when he touches:
(a) A boundary line; or
(b) Anything other than a player, an official, or a pylon on or outside a boundary line.

Shoulda been a TD. Have you guys ever tried to find the Full Rulebook of the NFL - they don't make it easy.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 am

Looked like a TD to me. Helluva catch by Edwards regardless.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich