Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

Superpion

Post by Superpion » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:40 pm

My 2 cents: I don't think that I personally would be bidding enough dollars to walk away with one of the top 1-5 draft slots under the BBDS, but that is okay with me. I think that those slots have SOME value over others but that most winning bids would "overpay" for those spots.

This is okay by me and I support the BBDS fully. I like the idea of having some control over where I make my picks from if that is important to me and I also like the idea of others paying a premium to get their draft slot if it is important to them.

Where is the drawback to this system? I guess that some contend that it takes away the randomness and they prefer randomness. Some people used to look for their Christmas presents under the bed or in the closet to find out what they were getting and others preferred to wait until they opened the gift that was under the tree Christmas morning. Personal taste is okay but I personally see the BBDS as a way to implement additional strategies and weigh additional consequences.

The main drawback that people bring up is that it might intimidate new prospects from joining. I highly doubt this to be the case. Seasoned veterans of fantasy football who are ready to take the next step to high stakes should not find the BBDS concept to be too difficult to grasp. Those "casual, fun-seeking" newbies that everyone against BBDS keeps referencing will certainly not be prevented from joining due to BBDS. Why not? Because they are not the type to read through all of the rules as Greg, Tom and this message board history can attest. They are more likely to join and then pose questions such as: I am new to the league and was just wondering what to expect in terms of this draft bidding that I am now hearing about. This will then illicit smart @$$ comments on the board and we'll move on.

So---maybe when all is said and done, we actually lost 3-5 people b/c of BBDS but made the system stronger moving forward. Sounds like a wise tradeoff to me.
"We see you've been missing a lot of work lately".

"I wouldnt say I've been missing it Bob". ---OFFICE SPACE

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:33 am

Originally posted by liddicoat:
Greg as you can see people are getting fiesty. Lay down the law. Gekko makes more than one good point, but my advice is to stick to your original guns and stick hard or you will have every cry baby on your door step. Trust me, I feel the passion from both sides and I appreciate all of the feedback. Remember, I just asked for input a little more than two days ago and the passion is oozing from all sides. I think we can see how people are feeling by the early votes already and yes I have formed an opinion from the feedback so far. But we'll let the opinions and votes continue for another week and then I'll step in. But so far, nobody has been injured and the feedback is valuable.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:37 am

Originally posted by liddicoat:
Greg as you can see people are getting fiesty. Lay down the law. Gekko makes more than one good point, but my advice is to stick to your original guns and stick hard or you will have every cry baby on your door step. Oh, one more point on the fiesty exchanges. I appreciate the exchange between GG and Maverick and I know they had some fun sitting next to each other during the Las Vegas Draft Champions League. I trust Nancy can hold her own against Gordon, so she doesn't need any help from me! ;) Keep sluggin' Nancy!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:01 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:
I for one have decided to retire from playing next year in both the NFBC and NFFC. Rule changes have been the moving force behind this. I won't question your reasons John, but if you think asking your customers for their opinions on potential rule changes is a bad thing then you obviously haven't been paying attention to my customer service skills during the last two years. You didn't drop out of both auction leagues in the NFBC because of rule changes as there weren't any rule changes there. In the NFFC, I'm seeking input on potential rule changes and the customers are speaking pretty loud and clear. I'll do what the customers think is best. But at this point, NO rule changes have occurred.

The feedback has been invaluable, but someone saying they DON'T appreciate me asking for their input on any potential changes is kind of silly. My initial rules setup for both the NFBC and NFFC aren't infallible and if the players suggest changes that can make them better, then I'd be a fool not to ask my customers for input.

Enjoy your time off, but you're always welcome to return if you miss the gang.

esorob

Post by esorob » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:08 am

Gordon -

Last year main draw. This year work made it only possible for SAT leagues. So in a round about way im in 2 this year.

Every draft i have been is has always been at random (unless its a keeper where its pre-determined)

I may get quoted till the end with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto, but i only stand by that for the method of picking the drafting spots.

Somewhere else burried deep in these boards (i think in one of the h2h threads) i discussed how i feel the 1000 bidding is too much. But this thread is only about the draft process so... if its not broke....

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:00 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Trust me, I feel the passion from both sides and I appreciate all of the feedback. passion for making the game better
vs
passion for "if it ain't broke"
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:00 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Walla Walla:
I for one have decided to retire from playing next year in both the NFBC and NFFC. Rule changes have been the moving force behind this. I won't question your reasons John, but if you think asking your customers for their opinions on potential rule changes is a bad thing then you obviously haven't been paying attention to my customer service skills during the last two years. You didn't drop out of both auction leagues in the NFBC because of rule changes as there weren't any rule changes there. In the NFFC, I'm seeking input on potential rule changes and the customers are speaking pretty loud and clear. I'll do what the customers think is best. But at this point, NO rule changes have occurred.

The feedback has been invaluable, but someone saying they DON'T appreciate me asking for their input on any potential changes is kind of silly. My initial rules setup for both the NFBC and NFFC aren't infallible and if the players suggest changes that can make them better, then I'd be a fool not to ask my customers for input.

Enjoy your time off, but you're always welcome to return if you miss the gang.
[/QUOTE]*Standing up now to applaude*

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP .................

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:11 am

IMO, In any 1 of the 3 ways the NFFC selects the draft order, you'll still have a draft spot 1-14 and do the snake draft we've all been doing as long as we've played Fantasy Football. Same game.

My preferences are 1-Bidding. 2-Derby. 3-Random. This is only my opinion, and it has nothing to do with whether or not I'll play again.

I do feel that voting on subjects during the course of the NFL season will have say in how people feel. If we were to ask NFFC team #5 overall about a rules change, I don't think he'd be too interested...But if you asked NFFC team #211, I think he'd be all for a change.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 am

Originally posted by renman:
gekko...

saying the "derdy style" concept "wont pass" is kind of silly when the guy who came up with it RUNS THE EVENT. i am not saying it will be what we go with next year, but greg can do what he wants. secondly... there is VERY LITTLE advantage to controlling where you draft. year after year the optimal place to draft from will change... the spots in the draft where the best valued player land change from year to year... which players get hurt change from year to year... there are too many variables outside the control of the fantasy owner to make controlling ones draft position a huge deal of advantage one way or the other...

having said that... you keep forgetting that with the derby style, the majority of the owners will be slotted in a spot they like... you keep implying that the guy who is drawn 14th will somehow get his least favorite spot... this is completely not the case. the purpose of the derby system or bbds concept is simply to give owners SOME control over where they end up on a draft board... the advantages gained from this are very small and will vary year to year. i think what greg is trying to do is add something to his growing event that gives owners a positive pre-draft positioning experience, without scaring away the newer owners who might be somewhat intimidated or confused by a bbds system that is alien to everyone in the industry... and is more complex then simply listing your preferred order of draft positions and letting you get picked where you get picked... i copy this for those who actually are reading the posts interested in the topic of the thread. sadly, this board at times becomes a petty name calling board where guys have pissing contests and are trying to mark their message board territory. thus very little productive communication can result on the topic at hand.

gekko,

the owner who is picked 14th in the derby style format DOES get "some say" in his draft position. and the system is NOT about owners getting "say" in other peoples position. you get say in YOUR position. it is not logical to think that he will get his 14th choice... plus, the smart owner may put some of his favorite draft positions further down his preference list in case he is picked late... the point is that most owners will get a position they are comfortable with even if it is not their favorite one.

and everyone who has a clue about fantays football knows that where you pick from on a draft board is HUGELY OVERRATED and the advantageous positions change year to year and are nearly impossible to predict.

MEMO TO MESSAGE BOARD POSTERS... is there any way we can shift into a more mature, professional, reasonable manner of posting in this thread rather then the cyber-ego driven dissing contest that often goes on here? you guys can attack each other and mock each other in other threads can't you?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:18 am

Originally posted by renman:
[/qb]this board at times becomes a petty name calling board where guys have pissing contests and are trying to mark their message board territory. [/QB][/quote]

LMAO :D Great example although I have to admit, I've been known to mark my territory from time to time!