Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:19 am

Originally posted by Rob June:

Somewhere else burried deep in these boards (i think in one of the h2h threads) i discussed how i feel the 1000 bidding is too much. But this thread is only about the draft process so... if its not broke.... [/QB]Rob, I always thought $1000 was a bit much too, but if we ended up doing the bidding process for free agents, that would help both situations. If you still want a random method, you can bid 0 dollars on every spot and let the chips fall where they may. You'd get your random spot and start the season off with more free agent dollars than everyone else.

[ October 27, 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:43 am

Originally posted by renman:
sadly, this board at times becomes a petty name calling board where guys have pissing contests and are trying to mark their message board territory. thus very little productive communication can result on the topic at hand.

gekko,

the owner who is picked 14th in the derby style format DOES get "some say" in his draft position. and the system is NOT about owners getting "say" in other peoples position. Renman – I do applaud you for trying to be the MB police, but it will never work. Some folks around here just won’t grow up.

With the Kentucky Dufus method, here’s how it would work (I need to go into full-blown details, as you seemingly don’t catch on quickly)…
Tom picks owner #1 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #1 draft slot preferences and gives him the slot he most prefers

Tom picks owner #2 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #2 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #3 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #3 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #4 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #4 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #5 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #5 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #6 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #6 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #7 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #7 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #8 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #8 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #9 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #9 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #10 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #10 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #11 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #11 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #12 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #12 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #13 out of hat.
Tom looks at owner #13 draft slot preferences and gives him his highest preference based on the remaining draft slots not previously selected

Tom picks owner #14 out of hat.
Tom DOES NOT LOOK at owner #14 draft slot preferences. OWNER #14 GETS THE DRAFT SLOT LEFT IN THE TRASH BIN . OWNER #14 GETS NO SAY OR INPUT INTO THE SLOT THEY RECEIVE. YES, THE SLOT MAY OR MAT NOT BE THEIR WORST PREFERENCE, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT. THE POINT IS THAT SOME OWNERS’ DRAFT SLOTS ARE BASED ON THEIR OWN PREFERENCE, AND ONE OWNER’S IS NOT! UNFAIR SAYS GEKKO.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:12 am

From hero to zero !

ROFL ! :D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

TradeStar28

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:16 am

Greg,

Once you analyze and assess the results of the message board poll, are you going to employ a majority rules decision making policy ? Or are you looking for one side to outweigh the other by a much wider margin ?

Thank you,

Mr. Fi$her
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:50 am

gekko...

you are missing the point.. again..

the owner who gets picked 14th will likely get his 6th favorite draft position... the 13 owners picked before the 14th guy will not have the exact 13 preferences that last owner had... plus.. everyones list will differ... the guy why gets the 14th slot could get lucky and get his 3rd favorite draft position... how do you miss this point?

i prefer bbds... but i am not against derby style.. nor would i ever sink to the immature level and unproductive level of calling it a "dufus" format. i think the derby style format will leave lots of people with a good taste in their mouths... most, if not all will end up in areas of the draft they personally prefer... it is not complex and thus wont scare newbie owners who teeter on the edge of joining high stakes events and the smallest thing can convince them NOT to join. why is it so threatening to you when someone plays devils advocate? both systems are better then the 100% random we have now and will give owners the (overrated) sensation that they have control over where they draft and thus somehow will have better fantasy football fortunes...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:04 am

you are missing the point.. again..
i think you missed it...THE POINT IS THAT SOME OWNERS’ DRAFT SLOTS ARE BASED ON THEIR OWN PREFERENCE, AND ONE OWNER’S IS NOT!

the above is a FACT. cannot be disputed.

[ October 27, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 am

gekko...

EVERYONE gets a position of their preference... even if my team was selected 14th.. i will get a position i PREFER that is much higher then the 11th-14th prefered spots on my list... because other owners lists will differ greatly from mine.

your fact is easily disputed.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:55 am

EVERYONE gets a position of their preference... talking with you is like talking to the wall or else you just like seeing the words 'trash bin'. the 14th owner gets NO preference. he gets whatever is left in the trash bin.

you should stop now with your arguement, it has no merit, and you don't see the logic. why continue to waste your time

[ October 27, 2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Dedhed-J

Post by Dedhed-J » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:49 pm

gordon's right.............

OK, I was just looking for an excuse for a bad draft.

thanks guys this is so much fun

Jason

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:28 pm

Originally posted by FI$HER:
Greg,

Once you analyze and assess the results of the message board poll, are you going to employ a majority rules decision making policy ? Or are you looking for one side to outweigh the other by a much wider margin ?

Thank you,

Mr. Fi$her For any major rules change, I would expect a large majority before instituting anything. The poll is just one form of feedback as obviously not everyone will be voting. Some people have e-mailed me their feelings and even called, so I'm getting other feedback as well. But there's no way I'd make a change if there was a 55-45 split or something similar and the e-mails and phone calls were evenly split as well. It's likely that I will offer one more set of questions about this in another week or so.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius