Conference Title Games - Who Ya Got?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

You guys really doubt Rob Lowe? Has he ever been wrong before about his sports predictions? :rolleyes:
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

jdoggmms

Post by jdoggmms » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am

Ravens over Pats 28-24
49ers over Giants 20-17

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:19 am

back door cover. pats 31- 27
giants win 24-17
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 am

I know that everyone is on the edge of their seats for my picks :rolleyes: in order to bet the opposite way, so here it goes:

Ravens +7.5 @ Patriots O/U 50 points

The Ravens aren't nearly as formidable playing away as they are playing at home. On the other hand, Baltimore has beaten some very good teams this year, while the Patriots couldn't manage to beat a single team all year with a winning record during the regular season.

Last week, Flacco looked unsure of himself and Ed Reed called him out on it. Slice and dice that however you want, but that type of dissension during a playoff week can't be good.

First, look at Strength vs. Strength: Baltimore Defense vs. New England Offense. The Ravens must pressure Brady to have a chance. No more T.J. Yates and his three interceptions. But Baltimore also has managed only 3 sacks in their last 4 games. Call me whimsical, but in this matchup I'll stick with Brady, his unstoppable TE's, and Belichick's game plan scheming.

Now look at Weakness vs. Weakness: Baltimore Offense vs. New England Defense. The Patriot Defense has been much maligned and rightly so. But Patrick Chung and Brandon Spikes are back, and this unit isn't as atrociously bad as some people make them out to be. Much is made of the fact that the New England Defense is ranked 31st in yards allowed, but they rank 15th in points allowed. That's middle of the pack, folks. Isn't that the more salient ranking? Last time I checked, the NFL still uses points, not yards, to determine who wins the game. So does Vegas, by the way. Plus, I'm loathe to risk money betting on Joe Flacco having a good game, especially away from home. There's a good chance the Patriots score over 30 points in this game. Does anyone really think Flacco can get out of the 20's?

The bottom line for me is that it looks like the Patriots are peaking (9 straight wins and growing stronger) while the Ravens, even playing at home last week, looked shaky.

PICK: Patriots 31 Ravens 20

NYG +3 @ San Francisco O/U 42 points

Oh, boy, here we go. Both teams are hot and both think they are teams of destiny. There's gonna be blood in the mud. This one is gonna be close.

The 49ers sure are tough at home. But Eli has won 4 straight playoff games away from home, including beating Rodgers at Lambeau. I don't think that Alex Smith in a hostile environment strikes fear into this seasoned team, who have been in playoff mode since Week 16 of the regular season.

While both defenses are good, San Fran's is clearly on a higher level. The best in the NFC, really, especially at home. But the Giants also have a very good Offense. I think New York's better balance of Offense and Defense outweighs the 49ers Defensive advantage.

The Giants also won't be stupid enough to let Vernon Davis run free. This isn't the Saints defense we're talking about here. Spags is riding in on his white horse a year too late. Davis will be doubled up or bracketed, forcing Alex Smith to find someone else in order to win. That means names like Ginn and Crabtree. Are you willing to risk money on that?

Don't forget the 49ers needed 5 turnovers and a last minute miracle drive to edge the brain-frozen Saints. San Fran is great at take aways, and they'll probably get 2 or 3, but asking for 4 or 5 again is just too much.

I also think there's too much being made about the weather. The prevailing opinion is that a sloppy field favors the 49ers because it will slow down the Giants passing game. But a wet field cuts both ways. Defensive backs having to react to WR cuts are often at a disadvantage when it comes to poor footing. Unless it's pouring during the game, I wouldn't factor that in too much.

The bottom line is that this will be a very close game, maybe decided by 1 point or Overtime. And forced to pick, I think the Giants come out on top. So taking New York and the points is the way to go.

PICK: Giants 24 49ers 20
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:15 am

Shrink, I agree on the Giants, but once I saw you using a word like "salient" in you thought process for the Ravens/Patriots game, I'm convinced you've over-thought it. ;)

Giants/Ravens- 2 team teaser.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:54 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Shrink, I agree on the Giants, but once I saw you using a word like "salient" in you thought process for the Ravens/Patriots game, I'm convinced you've over-thought it. ;)

Giants/Ravens- 2 team teaser. I don't even know what "salient" means, but I thought it made me sound smart. Then everyone will just nod their heads in agreement because they're too embarrassed to admit they don't know what it means, either.

That's the secret of practicing medicine, by the way. Always speak in terms nobody can understand, especially plaintiff attorneys. Then later, no matter what happens, you can say you were right from the beginning.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:

Giants/Ravens- 2 team teaser. I don't even know what "salient" means, but I thought it made me sound smart. Then everyone will just nod their heads in agreement because they're too embarrassed to admit they don't know what it means, either.

That's the secret of practicing medicine, by the way. Always speak in terms nobody can understand, especially plaintiff attorneys. Then later, no matter what happens, you can say you were right from the beginning.
[/QUOTE]LOL I am thinking you are most salient in your occupation.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 am

While shoveling snow this morning, my neighbor joked with me about whether I'm rooting for the Giants or if I have some kind of fantasy sports interest that would have me rooting for someone else. I think I crapped out on the nffc post season contest, so I have full interest in rooting for "my" Giants. However, the more I think about it, my allegiance has dwindled every year since NJ took "my" Giants away. Having our TWO NFL teams play in NJ is a slap in the face to NY'ers, and believe me, there are NJ Giants fans, and NY Giants fans. Both have different views on where Superbowl parades should be held, and what state the team should be labelled as being from.

I'll be rooting for "my" Giants this weekend, but not as much as I used to when they actually WERE the NY Football Giants.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:15 am

Patriots Game Plan:

*Defense*
- Stop the run
- Watch out for the screen game (Mayo's job to recognize it)
- Keep everything in front of us, then tackle well

*Offense*
-Sustain drives (defense will get tired as game moves along)
- Hernandez, Welker, Branch need to get open as defense concentrates stopping Gronk
- Don't force the ball
- Take shots deep as safeties move up to cover middle of the field (Ocho cinco will have chance to make plays)

[ January 22, 2012, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: The Franchise ]
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 am

49ers proved me wrong in a big way last weekend.

Still, early this week I viewed the Giants as the pick. However, I am now climbing out from under the wheels of the 49ers bandwagon, dusting myself off and asking for a lift.

49ers get it done! Alex Smith accounts for 3 TDs in a big win.

The Super Bowl title, however, will belong to the Baltimore Ravens. They pummel Brady into submission today and Anquan Boldin leads the way offensively.

Could we even see a Mt. Cody TD today? I think we may!