Anthony Gonzalez

rkulaski

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by rkulaski » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Yes, this has ruined my day. I thought Gonzalez would/could put up stats near that of Reggie Wayne. Definitely thought he could catch >80 balls this year. I fear it's the dreaded acl and I read he's having a MRI done tonight. I'm holding out small hope he'll only miss 2-3 weeks but my gut feeling tells me that won't be the case.

BONGIZMO

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by BONGIZMO » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:03 pm

I have never been one to be a doom and gloomer or an alarmest but have the same feeling I had when I watched Kevin Jones go down in the preseason and subsequently posted to that effect on this board in both cases. Peyton's comments had an air of finality to it.

Coltsfan if you are out there folks could use your local intel.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Today could be a disaster for me....

Not only is Gonzales my #1 receiver on my NFFC main, but I have McNabb on numerous teams across several big money contests.
Throw in the fact that I pulled McGahee out of my flex last minute for Ted Ginn's fantastic outing and I'm just absolutely bumming right now.

D-Day Heroes

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by D-Day Heroes » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Glenn X ,

see " Red Cross Relief Thread " :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

pizzatyme

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
I have never been one to be a doom and gloomer or an alarmest but have the same feeling I had when I watched Kevin Jones go down in the preseason and subsequently posted to that effect on this board in both cases. Peyton's comments had an air of finality to it.

Coltsfan if you are out there folks could use your local intel. According to Belichick, Gonzalez is questionable with a "lower extremity injury".

This translates to he has a sprained PCL and will get an MRI tomorrow to confirm. He is likely out for 8 weeks or more IMO.

Also, anyone who would listen to me knows that I was down on Gonzo going into the season. I just didn't see him excelling outside against the #2DB. As a Colts fan, I hope he is back sooner than later as the Colts are thin at WR in the first place.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Gordon Gekko II

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Not only is Gonzales my #1 receiver on my NFFC main, but I have McNabb on numerous teams across several big money contests.
Throw in the fact that I pulled McGahee out of my flex last minute for Ted Ginn's fantastic outing and I'm just absolutely bumming right now. Glenn,
The baseball equivalent of A.Gonzalez is the following…
Football regular season varies from 11 – 13 weeks. Let’s say it’s 13 weeks. Baseball is 26 weeks. So, basically anything that happens in football is magnified x2 (when compared to baseball).

In football, you basically need to start 8 position players (I’m not counting kickers and defenses). In baseball, you start 23 position players. That’s roughly a x3 magnitude for football.

Summary…getting a zero from A.Gonzalez is like having 3 of your better starting pitchers getting hurt Monday as soon as lineups lock and having all 3 of them remaining hurt (getting zeros) in your lineup for TWO weeks.

As I said, I have him on 4 of my 6 big money teams this year. I would have had him on all 6 teams, but he didn’t make it to me in the 4th round of those other two drafts. I drafted him as my #1 wr on 3 of those 4 teams. 80 catches; 1000 yards and 7 td’s were his floor (if healthy). My condolences to the other Gonzalez owners.

botherk

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by botherk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:28 am

Mark,
I stated in earlier NFBC posts that fantasy baseball is 70% luck. Of course, I was roundly criticized, but I still stand by the statement. I've finished 2nd overall and 300th. I know both sides of the coin and they're not that far apart. Situations that arise, the changes over the 26 weeks, day to day injuries, serious injuries, lineup changes etc...
I'll bet the luck factor in fantasy football has been beaten like a Michael Vick dog on these Boards, so I won't even give a number here.
My thought is that going into the season, we all have that bravado or ego that MY TEAM is the House in Vegas with that little bit of an edge on every other team because that bravado or ego is telling us that we know more than every other guy.
It is that 30% bravado and ego that brings you back to baseball and the even less percentage in football that brings us all back.
It's too bad about Gonzalez. It's a big hit, but knowing you, you'll recover. Afterall, even the House takes hits, but they come out ahead in the end. ;)
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Gordon Gekko II

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:02 am

Dan – It’s funny to see you on these boards. I think you once told me that football was way too much luck for you to play ever again!!!

No way baseball is 70% luck. None whatsoever. Look at Shawn Childs to disprove the 70% luck theory. I wish I could have had as good a season as him this year, but my roster management and lack of time really hurt. Fantasy baseball success always has been and always will be highly correlated with the amount of time you pour in. Shawn probably pours in more time than everyone.

As for football, everything is magnified when compared to baseball much like I put in my prior post. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that, just stating it in relative terms. People who don’t play baseball can’t relate to that. More decision points (26 weeks with 23 starting players) allows skill to show up more often than less decision points (13 weeks with 8 starting players).

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:24 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Throw in the fact that I pulled McGahee out of my flex last minute for Ted Ginn's fantastic outing and I'm just absolutely bumming right now. Glenn,
The baseball equivalent of A.Gonzalez is the following…
Football regular season varies from 11 – 13 weeks. Let’s say it’s 13 weeks. Baseball is 26 weeks. So, basically anything that happens in football is magnified x2 (when compared to baseball).

In football, you basically need to start 8 position players (I’m not counting kickers and defenses). In baseball, you start 23 position players. That’s roughly a x3 magnitude for football.

Summary…getting a zero from A.Gonzalez is like having 3 of your better starting pitchers getting hurt Monday as soon as lineups lock and having all 3 of them remaining hurt (getting zeros) in your lineup for TWO weeks.

As I said, I have him on 4 of my 6 big money teams this year. I would have had him on all 6 teams, but he didn’t make it to me in the 4th round of those other two drafts. I drafted him as my #1 wr on 3 of those 4 teams. 80 catches; 1000 yards and 7 td’s were his floor (if healthy). My condolences to the other Gonzalez owners.
[/QUOTE]Hello Mark,

I agree....losing AGon is a big hit in football. I'm very unhappy about it and really hoping against hope that its a 2-week deal rather than a 6-week or even worse season long issue.
As you mentioned earlier, the insult added to injury is getting a big fat zero in an all-play week to start the season.

The only silver lining for me is that across my way too many teams this year, he's only on my NFFC Main (though I would have much preferred he had been on one of my FFOC or local leagues)....ha.

Of much greater concern to me right now is McNabb who I have on 4 of my 5 Main Event teams and several other less expensive leagues. Luckily I was smart enough to handcuff him with Vick on each team......oh wait, Vick's still suspended for another week :mad: .....
The McNabb injury could be a lot more crippling to my fantasy world this year.

Throw in the fact that I'm running out of time to catch my league leaders in Baseball and I'm thinking of throwing in the fantasy towel and concentrating on poker again.... :confused:
Typically you don't get injuries to the Ace of Spades.

What a crappy way to start this season. I agree....the wind is completely out of my sails and I'm just hoping I get unexpected good news on both players today.

Fingers crossed,
Glenn

PS....One more note on another player mentioned earlier in this thread.....
Though Steve Smith didn't have a great day yesterday & the Panthers looked like crap, he was targeted 14 times. Steve Smith would be end up an All-Pro even if it was me throwing the rock to him 14 times a week. He'll be fine.

Glenn

Sound Advice

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Sound Advice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 am

It is odd to hear so much crying over a minor injury to a guy not even the top 50 of Fantasy football players.