Anthony Gonzalez

botherk

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by botherk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:36 am

Yeah, I did tell you that. I decided to test the waters again.
You didn't even bring up the luck for the head to head and playoffs factors.
The luck factor is huge, no doubt.
No matter the percentages of luck, the game draws us in.
There are four types of people that watch football. The gamblers, fantasy footballers, the fans of each team, and the Aunt Ruth's of the world. The first three groups feel a sense of exhileration with a win and a hopelessness with each loss. My Aunt Ruth, simply watches for a view of the players asses.

[ September 14, 2009, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:38 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:
It is odd to hear so much crying over a minor injury to a guy not even the top 50 of Fantasy football players. Hello Sound,

First, I wouldn't consider what's going on here crying.

Secondly, for the owners who drafted AGon, they did so in the 3rd or 4th round, which made him a top 50 pick in just about every draft (though I won't check, I'd bet in every draft).....therefore he is a consensus top 50 player.

Please put your 3rd or 4th round pick on waivers this week and lets see how you finish.....

Glenn

GOD Loves You

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:39 am

WOW! Did Anthony Gonzalez become Moss/Fitz/A.J. this offseason? Sorry, but if you cannot recover from losing him you must've done a horrible job drafting.

I was high, like most, on Gonzo entering the year, but he always went to early for me. For where he was being selected he HAD to reach his expected stats......there was to much downside involved and basically no upside.

There's no reason he should've been a #1 WR for fantasy teams just as there's no reason a team shouldn't be able to recover from this.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
WOW! Did Anthony Gonzalez become Moss/Fitz/A.J. this offseason? Sorry, but if you cannot recover from losing him you must've done a horrible job drafting.

I was high, like most, on Gonzo entering the year, but he always went to early for me. For where he was being selected he HAD to reach his expected stats......there was to much downside involved and basically no upside.

There's no reason he should've been a #1 WR for fantasy teams just as there's no reason a team shouldn't be able to recover from this. Hello GLY,

I don't believe anyone is saying you can't recover from an AGon injury this year....however, you have to admit losing your 3rd or 4th round pick for the season prior to him contributing even one point sucks ass.

That said I do believe your statement that noone should have had any reason to have him as a #1 receiver is uninformed. Considering the way receivers were overdrafted in our leagues, those who went RB/RB or RB/Brees or Brady ended up with an "AGon tier" receiver as their #1 many times whether it be Ochocinco or Edwards or Royal or etc. etc. etc.

Again, I'm sure I'll recover from this and still win my league and overall
....just makes it more difficult.

Glenn

[ September 14, 2009, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Gordon Gekko II

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:57 am

Glenn,
Going from experience, I wouldn’t put any weight into the people saying “I knew he wouldn’t be any good” or “people were overvaluing him” or “he wasn’t a #1 wr”. It has no bearing on the situation. None. And oh boy, someone doesn’t think he’s one of the top 50 players. If he was #49, then we could continue this discussion, but if he’s #51, he finds this odd?? Hahaha!!!

Life and fantasy football goes on. Of course, all of us Gonzo owners will try to recover from this. This could have happened to any player, however it’s happened to him and judging by his adp, he will be a big loss for some teams. Crap happens, and it’s our job to recover. Good luck fellow gonzo owners.

I can tell you before the season started I liked the flexibility of the “dual flex” option (and I posted as much). Now it’s looking even better. (1qb; 2rb; 2wr; 1te; 2 flex). Allows an owner to incorporate more strategy in their draft/weekly management while still keeping the foundation of the core lineup. Hopefully this is something that the NFFC will consider for all their events (including Draft Champions) moving forward.

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:01 am

I agree with Mark completely on this one.

I really like the dual flex also....
It adds significantly to the week to week strategy and helps you "recover" from the "unlucky" injury.

Want to take away more luck and add more skill...this is one way to do it.

Glenn

Sound Advice

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Sound Advice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 am

Glenn - He wasn't in my top 50.
That's more valuable than any consensus that I'm aware of.
I wouldn't take him in round 3 if my life depended on it, and I don't know of any respected fantasy player that would.
And if they did, you won't hear them suggesting rules changes because a player they drafted too early on their football squad got nicked.

I honestly heard less whimpering when Brady got hurt last year and was lost for the season.

Rule changes to help people recover from injuries always come from people recovering from injuries.

You're putting your 3rd or 4th round pick on waivers?
That is a bummer, sorry to hear about that.

Russ' gut feeling was correct - People that complain about skill vs luck deem themselves skillful and everyone else lucky.

Sound Advice

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Sound Advice » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 am

Mark likes to turn people words around to suit his arguments. Everyone knows this.
It doesn't matter if you ranked him #49 or #63.
He's not a first rounder, and too many first rounders have been hurt badly to worry about a #63 overall ranked WR getting a little boo-boo.

renman

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by renman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 am

I have made the same point about the "skill vs luck" thing on numerous threads. I believe in snap shot moments it is easy to identify where luck played a huge factor in a fantasy game or season... whether it be an injury, or a weird matchup, or getting unlucky with bye weeks, or a hurricane cancels a game, or whatever...

However, over the long run.. with a larger sample to review.. I think the more skilled fantasy football player gets identified. I am talking about all fantasy football skills.. drafting, waiver wire pickups, playing the right match ups with the lineup, etc.

I liken it to high stakes 7 card hold em. Sure, you can find moments where luck resulted in a weaker player beating a strong player or even a player who played that specific hand better... But over the long run and bigger sample.. the better more skilled player gets identified.

With regard to Gonzalez, I was LUCKY that I didn't get him because I went into this season targeting him but he never lasted to the point where I was prepared to take him. However, had he gotten to me in the right spot, I would definately have taken him as I expected him to have the kind of season Gekko outlined. So in this case I was lucky to NOT get someone I ranked pretty high.

No doubt it is a bad break.. now fantasy owners who lost him have to work hard to manage their team around that injury the best they can... and it sure is rewarded when you pull it off.

Best of luck to the A. Gonzalez owners.

mikeybok

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by mikeybok » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:

I wouldn't take him in round 3 if my life depended on it, and I don't know of any respected fantasy player that would. Ouch ... wow ... such harsh words (and so generalized too).

He was in my top 50 (and I did take him once in the third round). I have him on 3 NFFC teams this year.

I also had (and lost) Brady on an NFFC team last year (BTW ... still won first place in that league despite losing Brady).

I still plan on winning in the NFFC without AG.

You may not respect me as a FF player ... but we have cashed in 50% of our live events and taken first in 33% of our live events over the last 5 years. How are you doing over those same 5 years?

Just curious?

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!