YOU WANT TO BRING THIS LEAGUE TO NEXT LEVEL?

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:49 pm

- i know the guys that are in the championship will disagree with me, but i think you tinker with the playoff structure a little and this league would swallow up all other major events.

- For individual leagues, go with the 6 team playoffs, top 2 get byes, top 2 get some cash, 1st , 2nd and 3rd get prize money.

- After week 13 you simply take top (whatever amount of teams make championship playoffs and big tournament) based on total points.

what this does is two fold, it creates a major buzz and interest in the individual leagues all year long for just about everyone in the league and 2. it rewards the best teams in the whole league based on their point production and gives them a chance of the 100k based on points, not based on luck of the draw in a playoff format.

Thats what people want. They want a good shot at individual league money.

They ultimately want the best teams in the ultimate tournament based on points.

Simple, but very effective.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

LETSROLL2007

Post by LETSROLL2007 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:21 pm

I like it Weber.

I don't think the WCOFF or the NFFC will conform though. Both are set up to reward lucky, fluky teams a chance at the big $$. In essence, the current formats take away the element of skill
as much as possible, I believe to entice more players to play who perhaps do not feel they are capable of competing.

renman

Post by renman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:56 am

Barry,

I agree the WCOFF might have a bigger "luck" factor given the short regular season and head to head nature of the playoffs and how a team can win both best record AND total points within their league and STILL must playoff for the league title (unless I read the rules wrong, that is what it looked like to me).

The NFFC is the dead opposite of that. It is a longer season... It is also weighed toward total points more than h2h... and the playoffs are based on 4 weeks and not individual head to head matchups... I really think the better teams rise to the top in the NFFC.

Mike Costaglio

Post by Mike Costaglio » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:22 am

Weber, I like it. I have always wondered why all teams are not included in the overall champanship run since the Champion is most points
after week 16. I would include all teams in the championship round. This would also keep teams interested longer and could have a positve impact on head to head throughout the first 13 weeks.

[ December 03, 2007, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike Costaglio ]

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:38 am

i don't necessarily think all the teams in the league should be in the championship run, i just think that when you pick the teams to play for the 100k or watever the prize is that those teams should be put in the tournament based on total points scored through 13 weeks. No automatic bids if you won your league with most points or best record.. those teams can win money through ind leagues, but the teams that play for the big prize should be picked strictly on point total.. so realistically you coould have a team that did not win their league but gets a chance at 100k. it's very fair that way. The wcoff way of doing things is ubsurd in that they will not even look at a team unless they've finished 1st or 2nd in their league? how absurd is that ? so a team with the 10th best point total in their individual league who gets lucky and wins their LCG game weed 12 gets automatic bid into the championship.. thats ubsurd. i'll always play , just baffles me why there are so many different playoff formats within the same league i.e. NFFC auction has 6 teams make playoffs, sat leagues has different format, main event has different format.. the individaul league format playoffs should all be the same, the only difference is the main event where you should pick the teams from the whole pool based on points.. very simple and i think everyone would agree it's fair.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 am

Originally posted by weber:
i don't necessarily think all the teams in the league should be in the championship run, i just think that when you pick the teams to play for the 100k or watever the prize is that those teams should be put in the tournament based on total points scored through 13 weeks. No automatic bids if you won your league with most points or best record.. those teams can win money through ind leagues, but the teams that play for the big prize should be picked strictly on point total.. so realistically you coould have a team that did not win their league but gets a chance at 100k. it's very fair that way. The wcoff way of doing things is ubsurd in that they will not even look at a team unless they've finished 1st or 2nd in their league? how absurd is that ? so a team with the 10th best point total in their individual league who gets lucky and wins their LCG game weed 12 gets automatic bid into the championship.. thats ubsurd. i'll always play , just baffles me why there are so many different playoff formats within the same league i.e. NFFC auction has 6 teams make playoffs, sat leagues has different format, main event has different format.. the individaul league format playoffs should all be the same, the only difference is the main event where you should pick the teams from the whole pool based on points.. very simple and i think everyone would agree it's fair. Weber,

I think if you looked you would see that most of the teams that do in fact win their leagues (don't have an exact %) are very competitive, if not the best in their respective leagues.

2) If in fact there are "fluke teams", the next best highest points DOES automatically get in the playoffs.

3) Also, if you are not fortunate enough to win best record or total points, then you STILL can get in by being in the top 10% of total points in the NFFC. This year it was 364 teams, so if you are in the top 36, and didn't get best record or total points in your league, you STILL get a shot.

Last year in Chicago 2, we had FOUR teams make the championship round.

I agree that the way WCOFF does it is absurd, as it is POSSIBLE that you could end up the 2nd highest scoring team in all the WCOFF after 11 weeks and NOT get a shot at the 300K. I like that the NFFC has given those "unlucky" people a chance at the top prize.

Out of curiousity, how many teams would you think is fair to allow in the championship round (using this year's number of 364 entries)?

I think having too many makes it a complete crap shoot, as I would venture to say (again, without looking at the data) that 85-90% of the teams that get to the championship round of the NFFC are worthy of being there.

[ December 03, 2007, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 am

i think out of 364 entries no more then 50-70. how many are in the championship? i don't even know? this is my first year? just curious?

you figure if wcoff puts in 100 and they have double the teams, i would say 50 would be fair.

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am

i agree with you that the NFFC isn't as bad and is the better of the two by the way,

i just would like to see more ways to win individual leagues and not even consider automatic bids for main event. but i think your logic is 100 percent accurate.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:29 am

Originally posted by weber:
i think out of 364 entries no more then 50-70. how many are in the championship? i don't even know? this is my first year? just curious?

you figure if wcoff puts in 100 and they have double the teams, i would say 50 would be fair. Here are the numbers from the first 3 seasons (in 2004 there were NO "wild cards".

2004 - 224 teams (32 in playoffs)
2005 - 280 teams (40 in playoffs + 2 wild cards)
2006 - 322 teams (46 in playoffs + 6 wild cards)
2007 - 364 teams (52 in playoffs + ??? wild cards)

It will be between 50-70, that is for sure.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 am

Leave as is...

There is draft strategy that would be eliminated w/o champ round...

One thing I might change....

If #2 scoring team finishes 3rd, meaning h2h winner was outscored by two teams, then all three should play for league championship Weeks 14-16.

Our h2h winner won 5 straight w/o scoring over 126 points in any of the games.

#3 team is getting hosed.

[ December 03, 2007, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.