Give Us Some Feedback On The Live Drafts

botherk

Post by botherk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:18 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
I can't help but think with the advancements of electronics and technology that we will continue to have easel type boards with stickers that are hard to see.
Greg, you know the business better than anyone I know, is anybody making electronic boards that just need a name typed in at a cost that is feasable?
This would eliminate looking for stickers and probably a facilitator as well for each draft, football and baseball.
Just an idea. Is this feasable, Greg?
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 am

quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
I can't help but think with the advancements of electronics and technology that we will continue to have easel type boards with stickers that are hard to see.
Greg, you know the business better than anyone I know, is anybody making electronic boards that just need a name typed in at a cost that is feasable?
This would eliminate looking for stickers and probably a facilitator as well for each draft, football and baseball.
[/QUOTE]It's definitely something we're discussing.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I don't want to speak for Greg or Ryan but I'd prefer to have the event before any games have been played. Starting after that one game has been played can completely skew the draft results and significantly alter your draft day preparations. Just my two cents.

To the best of my understanding the only move that occurred during the NFFC weekend that was a surprise in any way was the Bills cutting Dominic Rhodes. And he was the team's No. 3 RB (though he would have been the No. 2 for the first three games). I believe that move occurred on Friday so the Main Event participants had advance knowledge of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that. In years past, you had Jerry Porter getting traded on Saturday, Domanick Davis getting cut on Saturday, and Kevin Jones getting a positive health report on Friday night. There are always going to be issues like these when the NFFC Classic is held prior to the Saturday 4pm EDT 53-man cutdown deadline.

There are also preseason games going on that final weekend. Just this year, Maurice Jones-Drew had a big injury scare two days before the draft. If that game were played on Friday instead of Thursday, his value would have been greatly impacted.

Those are the major things. In addition, lots of minor changes happen between Labor Day and Opening Weekend -- there were at least 6 notable amendments to my rankings between the two weekends, and that's not even including the Thursday game results.

For my money, later is better. For baseball, this statement holds even more water.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:34 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
also, NFL cut day is that Saturday, so you could draft players that end up being cut from their teams later that day. Another great example from this year was the draft positions of Jamal Lewis and James Davis. Jamal Lewis was rumored to be on the roster bubble, and lasted until the 13th round in some leagues. James Davis, who had a nice preseason and would have greatly benefitted from a Lewis cut, was taken as high as the 4th round.

All of this was largely due to having the draft prior to the 53-man roster cutdown deadline.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 am

quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
[/QUOTE]Ryan is already getting quotes for 15 Plasma big screen TVs, laptops and the projector as we speak for Las Vegas!! :D Of course we've looked into the costs for something like this and it's just not feasible yet. I said YET. Anything is possible, though, and we all would love to have one person entering the rosters and having them color-coded on a big screen there for all to see. It would save us time and money with the rosters.

If we're going to take this to TV, we need technology to drive the train. Imagine IMMEDIATE ADPs on the ticker thanks to every league being entered onto a laptop into an Excel spreadsheet. It's all feasible, but only through technology. And yes, we're looking into all of it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:58 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
One extra weekend early with ALL the preseason games done that Friday night....not sure where all the "guessing games" come in??? :confused: 1. some drafts take place that Friday

2. most drafters are already at their draft facility by Friday and may not (for whatever reason) be able to research everything that happened in the Friday night games before draft time on Saturday.

3. injuries or injury situations (W.Welker comes to mind)

4. more definitive info on how coaches are going to use players

anyways, i'm speaking from a Player's Perspective. drafting the NFL weekend would be the best for me. you may have your "Operator's hat on" in regard to my post.
[/QUOTE]I'm not going to get into all your points as we ALL are drafting with the same info. Some of your points are valid, some are not, IMO.

The biggest problem is that you have two other "major" high stakes games that weekend. Now people will have to choose, and there are a LIMITED number of people in this country who are willing to throw up $1,300 - $1,700 to play fantasy football.

Honestly, as big of a fan that you are of the "dual flex", where would you play next year if NFFC and FFPC were going on simultaneously??? :eek:

Having the Labor Day weekend ALL TO YOURSELF is a GOOD thing!!! :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:06 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I'm not going to get into all your points as we ALL are drafting with the same info. Some of your points are valid, some are not, IMO.

The biggest problem is that you have two other "major" high stakes games that weekend. Now people will have to choose, and there are a LIMITED number of people in this country who are willing to throw up $1,300 - $1,700 to play fantasy football.

Honestly, as big of a fan that you are of the "dual flex", where would you play next year if NFFC and FFPC were going on simultaneously??? :eek:

Having the Labor Day weekend ALL TO YOURSELF is a GOOD thing!!! :D don't be silly. we ALL have the same info on August 1st as well. Draft might as well be held that weekend.

King of Queens posted reminder after reminder of how quickly things change when you have the draft one week before the season starts and before the 53 man cuts are made. Tke a look at his posts for a reminder. KoQ doesn't forget ANYTHING!!! :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 am

It seems most high stakes events are “double-dipping”…allowing participants multiple time slots to draft main event teams. When/Where will the madness end? In the future, will someone have 10 main events teams? I do know someone in my Primetime league was going back and forth between a total of three draft tables. It seems he has a vested interest in at least three teams in the Primetime event.

Also, why are people so worried if the drafts in all the cities go off at the same time? I mean, how many online championship leagues are there? How many different draft dates/times were there? No one complained that the 30K grandprize is unfairly impacted because someone’s draft was held a week earlier/later, did they? Why the beef with the main events starting a few hours early/later in separate cities?

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:44 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
Forgot to add:
Drafting the same weekend as the NFL kicks off is an absolute blast. Too many guessing games to draft a week before the NFL season kicks off. I'd much prefer to have the NFFC the same weekend as the NFL starts.
I totally disagree with this. Keep it Labor Day weekend, as you would KILL your contest with two other high stakes venues going on that weekend.

One extra weekend early with ALL the preseason games done that Friday night....not sure where all the "guessing games" come in??? :confused:
[/QUOTE]I agree with Billy here, the NFFC has it's own weekend with no comp versus the higher stakes events. Putting the NFFC directly against the other two events could end badly and would crush the multi city approach since I know I saw many Chicago drafters in Vegas the following weekend.
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.