Give Us Some Feedback On The Live Drafts

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
i like the 14 teamer (just not as much as 12 team formats). wow ... surprised you would say that.

It's not even close for me. I like the 14 team event a lot more.
Hakuna Matata!

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
i like the 14 teamer (just not as much as 12 team formats). wow ... surprised you would say that.

[/QUOTE]with so few people playing in a 14 team format, eventually you are going to be playing against 10-13 other seasoned vets in each league, no?

i like the thrill of the competition, but i also like cashing on a regular basis.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:35 am

quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:

[/QUOTE]with so few people playing in a 14 team format, eventually you are going to be playing against 10-13 other seasoned vets in each league, no?

i like the thrill of the competition, but i also like cashing on a regular basis.
[/QUOTE]Very good point ... The level of competition is a big factor in cashing.
Hakuna Matata!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:07 am

Greg/Ryan/Tom, here are my candid thougts:

Having drafted in Florida the last 2 years, I was completely turned off to the live events. It still turns me off to hear about the special treatment that the Vegas participants get. We all pay the same entry fee, yet don't get close to the same experience.

I'm all for adding in $50 to make it even for all cities. I would not want to do that unless there were benefits for all. This means either a pre-draft party or something between drafts. I would guess many participants leave right after the drafts are over and would do so even if there were a post-draft party.

While I love beautiful women as much as the next guy, I don't see the need here. We have several women who participate in these events, plus many more male participants who bring their wives or children as partners. Just something to consider here. While I'm sure most women would not argue the point, would we be comfortable providing male "eye candy" for them? Somewhat degrading IMO.

I agree with the point that this could and should become more of an event for all.

I also agree that to significantly grow the event you need to make it focused on the 12 team event. While I love the 14-teamer, your growth is limited in this arena.

More space at the live drafts would be appreciated.

Dual flex would be a giant improvement to the event with regards to strategy and the ability to overcome key injuries.

I love the fact that what you guys do commit to happens with precision for the most part. If there are issues, you correct them right away. And you offer what most are looking for.

Thanks for soliciting feedback.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am

quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:

[/QUOTE]Agreed.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

GOD Hates You

Post by GOD Hates You » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 am

There is a reason Vegas was selected as a draft city. It is a destination. NYC is a destination as well but most of the drafters have seen it over the past few years, so let's move the east coast site to AC. You are now 1 hour from Philly and may attract newcomers from that city. New Yorkers and Jersey love AC and will show. The hotels are cheaper than NYC. You will lose guys from the upper northeast but how many of them are there actually? Greg knows where everybody comes from and can see how many will be affected. With the phone in leagues now making a bigger splash those who chose not to go to AC can draft there. I think adding people closer to AC(philly, delaware, and more south) will offset any New Englanders.

Try it for a year unless it is cost prohibitive(Greg ?). Why draft close to NYC but not in NYC. If you're moving anyway, go to AC.

For the record, I live 30 miles north of NYC. It takes me 2.5 hours to get to the Borgata in AC.

Thanks and have a nice day.

renman

Post by renman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Some interesting points.. I will throw in my opinions.

-The 14 teamer is the format that defines the NFFC as the premier fantasy football contest in the market. I personally prefer it.. Not only do I prefer the challenge, I love how it makes the NFFC stand out. In my opinion as time goes by, this event will rise to be viewed as the "grand daddy of em all" and most prestigious event to win in the fantasy football industry.

The NFFC is also (rightly so) in the business of making money. I believe we all understand the 12 team format is the format the mainstream market is most comfortable with. So it makes sense that the NFFC would have that option available to its players and use that format for the new online championship. I believe the 12 team NFFC events create an obvious breeding ground and pipeline for future players who want to "step up" to the 14 teamer event after enjoying their NFFC experiences in other events.

-I agree with Billy Waz and others that we should not move off the weekend we have traditionally been on. I think it makes bad business sense to try to force the high stakes fantasy community to choose an event or try to jam multiple events into the same weekend. Though I agree some tidbits of info can come out between our weekend and NFL weekend, I don't think that is a big enough deal to shift the entire event. Maybe we draft on the Sunday after they cut down to 53 man rosters? The NFFC (and industry in general) has many drafts weeks and weeks before the main event and those contests are deemed legit while having significantly less information available. The game is all about predicting what is GOING TO HAPPEN regardless of whether you draft in July, the weekend before the NFL season kicks off, or even after the season kicks off and we already know results from one game (which I hate). Everyone at the moment of the draft has access to the same information that is available at the time.

-When I come to the NFFC I am there 100% for the fantasy football drafting experience. I care less about food, I care less about drinks, I care less about chicks. I wish all of my entry money went towards the prize fund and the football drafting experience. The draft takes 2-3 hours. I can eat what I want when done. I can drink what I want when done. I can hang out with and party with people when I am done. Maybe I am in the minority on this.

-Based on my previous point, I am not in favor of raising the prices on this event. The ONLY thing I would be open to spending more money on would be some of the innovative ideas Gekko brought up to streamline and professionalize (not even a word) the draft experience. I have no interest in paying to look at chicks. We can do those other peripheral things any day of the year. We get one shot to have a high stakes, professional, live fantasy football draft. We spend a lot to do it. I prefer to make it about that and I prefer my money go toward that.

-I have seen some say it doesn't seem fair that everyone pays the same amount yet Vegas gets a much more impressive overall experience. I have never drafted in Vegas so I cannot speak to that. But if it is true I suppose that is a fair point.

-The one thing I do feel somewhat strongly about (since it seems to make sense) is in regard to the NYC draft is moving it somewhere more fiscally reasonable. If most people are there for the football drafting experience, why have it in a room that is dramatically over priced when that revenue (that we players provide) could be spent on us or fed into the prize fund? why require players pay double for a room, quadruple for food and drinks? Why make them spend tons on parking or because of this be forced to adhere to train and bus schedules? Whether it be in NJ just outside of NYC, or AC or Conn. Everything in Manhattan is dramatically overpriced for no reason. Those who want to spend time in NYC after the draft can do that. I think the majority are more about the football experience and that could take place in a much more cost effective setting.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
professionalize (not even a word) Surprise! :D

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... ssionalize

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 pm

No chicks ?! What will it cost to get some furries as moderators then ?