Give Us Some Feedback On The Live Drafts

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:00 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
If it were 70/30 towards online, then so be it. That says the majority would prefer to curb costs, increase ROI, etc.
if it were 70/30 in favor of online,THERE WOULD BE NO LIVE EVENTS AND THIS TURNS INTO JUST AN INTERNET LEAGUE.
[/QUOTE]Not necessarily true Mark. what if over the next several years the live events maintained or even showed slight growth, but the online (which is far more reaching) participants grew dramatically? You could still have the live events and have a larger participation.

The same holds true for the NFL. If the only way to enjoy the Superbowl was to go to the live game, then there would be no NFL.

And if they started telling people who watch it on TV that it is PPV for $100, then they'd lose a hell of a lot of money. That's why they haven't done so to this point.

With growth (whether live or online) comes sponsors. The sponsors can and will pay for the live events. But to tell online/phone drafters to pay MORE than live drafters is a bad call IMO.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:06 am

Originally posted by Hard heads:
Russ I understand your points, but I was only responding to the idea where Greg said he wants to continue to make it an event while growing. While discouraging people from doing the phone leagues would help to make it an event, it may discourage overall growth by forcing people to look for alternatives. Oh and btw, comparing this to watching the Superbowl live or traveling to see it is just that, not a comparison. Anyway, carry on.... :D I enjoy watching the superbowl on TV. I enjoy it even more when I go to Vegas to party with other enthusiasts. I'd love to go to the game. Either way, I enjoy it. The game has grown because of electronic media, not from going to live events (as fun as they would be).

If I can ever go to the game, I'd love it if everyone at home would pitch in $100 so my experience is that much better.

While the scale of the 2 are different. The expectation of having someone at home subsidize the live experience is the same.

And this comes from a LIVE drafter.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:12 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Hard heads:
Russ I understand your points, but I was only responding to the idea where Greg said he wants to continue to make it an event while growing. While discouraging people from doing the phone leagues would help to make it an event, it may discourage overall growth by forcing people to look for alternatives. Oh and btw, comparing this to watching the Superbowl live or traveling to see it is just that, not a comparison. Anyway, carry on.... :D I enjoy watching the superbowl on TV. I enjoy it even more when I go to Vegas to party with other enthusiasts. I'd love to go to the game. Either way, I enjoy it. The game has grown because of electronic media, not from going to live events (as fun as they would be).

If I can ever go to the game, I'd love it if everyone at home would pitch in $100 so my experience is that much better.

While the scale of the 2 are different. The expectation of having someone at home subsidize the live experience is the same.

And this comes from a LIVE drafter.
[/QUOTE]Anything that takes away from the live event is a negative in my opinion.
In reality, the phone/online option is here to stay. However, I don't believe its unreasonable for the phone/online drafters to have to pay a premium to use that option.
Conference calls/MDC cost money as well. Turning your point around, why should the live drafters subsidize the online drafters?
These drafts are SUPPOSED to be live events. If you want to utilize other options, its available, but at a premium. Seems fair & equitable to me.

I love KOQ's suggestion.

Glenn

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 am

Points taken. I guess we'll see how it turns out. :cool:

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:29 am

Oh, and by the way, as a live drafter I love the suggestion too. I just don't see this easily sold. I think you'd have those people leaving for other options which are available.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:30 am

The goal is to grow the live events and give owners EVERY REASON to be live with us. That's Ryan's goal and that's my goal. I saw some of our guys do the Phone/Online league with us and then go to Las Vegas the next weekend. I don't have any problem with that, but I'd love to give them a reason to be there live for us, too.

We'll figure this out, but nothing in life is free. The cost of hooking up 14 folks on one teleconference, paying MDC.com and facilitators came at a cost greater than those drafting live. It's something we'll definitely look over for 2010 and address.

Again, the goal is to create a live event that makes everyone WANT to be there. If you absolutely, positively can't make it, then we may have an option for you next year. But everything we're doing now is concentrating on improving the live events.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:39 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what is planned in ALL live event cities to wow the participants.

And ofcourse there is an expense for making phone/online drafts happen. But that is in lieu of not having the customers as stated.

HIROLLERJR

Post by HIROLLERJR » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:50 am

For what it's worth, I don't think the phone drafters should pay any more than the drafters that choose to go to a site. I think when the company chose to include the phone option, it was moving forward and I'm sure just by looking at the number of entries "overall" for the company it has risen to new heights. Cost are already figured in before before the program starts, so it's not like all of a sudden we are accuring "new costs". I think this game was set up to be player friendly and "choice" being the key word. I as an "owner" would be very pleased to see my company go forward with as many options for the players as possible. I'm also sure that with the phone option, it not only brought us "new players" for the main event but those phone option players probably are a great part of why our online entries were so high as they probably chose to play there also instead of just the main event and maybe actually got a friend to jump aboard also which again created more revenue. Our competitors I'm sure would love to have our phone option players join them if they left us because they were told to pay more money or not play at all. Again I think it should be a choice with no extra fees or instead of trying to charge them just eliminate the phone option completely and lets see if we go forward or back in time with our entries and revenue.