New York For The Super Bowl??

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 am

I must admit, as much as I understand why the NFL did it, I'm not sure I like or agree with the decision to have the 2014 Super Bowl in New York. Again, I understand it's a perk, a return on investment to the city of New York, the taxpayers and the Giants and the Jets. I get that. But the Super Bowl outside in a cold weather stadium?

I've sat in outside stadiums in January for NFC Championship Games and loved it as a fan, so I guess it's not the end of the world. But there's no doubt weather will play a bigger part in that Super Bowl Game than any previous game. It will be a different Super Bowl for sure, for the fans, players, coaches and sponsors.

The weeks leading up to the Super Bowl will definitely be different as the parties will all have to be inside. And being in Manhattan and New York City will be tough for the masses to all get to the key events. Heck, where's the Super Bowl Party going to be? The Super Bowl FanFest? Should be interesting indeed, but a bit crazy.

Hey, I'm sure the NFL will figure it out and put on a great party, but for my money keep the Super Bowl in a warm weather environment. Heck, you could host every one in New Orleans as far as I'm concerned. That is the perfect city for a Super Bowl. But Miami and San Diego work perfectly, too.

Okay, does anyone else agree with me? Was a cold-weather city for the Super Bowl the wrong choice? Does it set a precedent now that more Super Bowls will be in cold-weather cities, even if the stadiums are outside? Is this good for the die-hard NFL fans, who now may have a better chance of getting Super Bowl tickets now that the "corporate suits" will be turned off by sitting outside?

What's your thoughts on this?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed May 26, 2010 4:02 am

There are a lot of things to do in New York obviously and I'm sure the city will bring out its big guns and put on a helluva show. Unfortunately, if winter doesn't cooperate you're talking about people struggling to get places and maybe not being as interested in going anywhere. And of course the game itself could face significant weather factors that could impact the game as well as its enjoyment level.

I understand the reasons why the NFL did this (they are also saving a lot of money by having the game in the city where its headquarters are located) but I think it's a pretty stupid decision. While weather can be a factor in any outdoor stadium, it should be obvious that hosting the game at a cold-weather site without a dome significantly increases the potential for weather impacting the game and its outcome.

[ May 26, 2010, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 am

One interesting tidbit is that the game will be held either February 2, 9, or 16 -- depending on how the NFL schedule works out.

18-game regular seasons are a comin'! :D

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
There are a lot of things to do in New York obviously and I'm sure the city will bring out its big guns and put on a helluva show. Unfortunately, if winter doesn't cooperate you're talking about people struggling to get places and maybe not being as interested in going anywhere. Yes, it will likely be cold in February 2014. However, keep in mind that New York has one of the best and most far-reaching mass-transit systems in the country. The events surrounding Super Bowl XLVIII will all be accessible.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed May 26, 2010 4:28 am

You know NY better than I do Glenn so I defer to your knowledge. But I know how much it sucks when it's cold and snowing and the weather stinks. I've lived in a cold-weather climate my entire life and I hate the winter because it's difficult to want to do a lot when it's minus zero and/or snowing outside.

Many of the people who are attending this game will likely come from or be used to warm-weather locations. If the weather's a b***h that week it's going to smack a lot of people in the face.

Hard.

If you've never dealt with the winter before or have minimal experience it's a rather big adjustment. Again, I understand why the NFL made this decision but I don't think it comes without risk and perhaps significant risk should the weather strongly influence the game.

Honestly, how much would it suck if there was a huge snowstorm during the game and it ended up being a 6-3 or 10-7 type of affair?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 am

As a fan of the game I LOVE the announcement and was pleasantly surprised to see the owners take this chance.

Football is a game that is supposed to be played in the elements.

Some of my favorite moments playing and watching are related to games being played in adverse conditions.

Enjoyment level: If it's too cold for the fans who spent ridiculous amounts of money to buy tickets, tough sh_t - don't go. Maybe I'll be able to afford a ticket in 2014.

Why should the cities in warm locations be the only ones who benefit from the millions this game brings in? I think all NFL cities should get their chance to host this spectacle.

>> Bad weather could affect the way teams play and not reflect their true abilities? If the game is played under perfect conditions we get to see who the best team is? Blah-blah-friggin-blah, Football is supposed to be played in the conditions and all teams must be ready to battle mother nature as much as their opponent on every given Sunday or Thursday or Saturday or Monday...

The better team on any given day is the one who is better prepared for any circumstance that arises.

I applaud the NFL owners for this decision and hope it becomes a tradition.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 am

Originally posted by Rob B:
The better team on any given day is the one who is better prepared for any circumstance that arises. Regarding the game itself, this is exactly how I feel. Well said, Rob.

No surprises here, either. EVERY TEAM knows that for the 2013 season, they had better be equipped to handle a potentially frigid Super Bowl.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
You know NY better than I do Glenn so I defer to your knowledge. But I know how much it sucks when it's cold and snowing and the weather stinks. I've lived in a cold-weather climate my entire life and I hate the winter because it's difficult to want to do a lot when it's minus zero and/or snowing outside.

Many of the people who are attending this game will likely come from or be used to warm-weather locations. If the weather's a b***h that week it's going to smack a lot of people in the face.

Hard.This is from an e-mail I received this morning from New York Jets LLC:

"But the Super Bowl experience is not limited to the game. You can be a part of the full series of Super Bowl events hosted by our region at notable landmarks and well-known area attractions. Imagine going to the NFL Experience at the James A. Farley Post Office building or the Jacob K. Javits Center or the Super Bowl Saturday Night Extravaganza at Liberty State Park. The NFL Super Bowl Party could be at the American Museum of Natural History or Ellis Island. All choices are iconic places to showcase and celebrate the area and set a new bar for Super Bowls."

Notice that there are plenty of large places to hold indoor events in New York. Even if the weather is horrible, I think they'll pull this off.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 am

I hope there's a huge blizzard and it's a 3-2 game.

:D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich