LACK OF SKILL OR WISE INVESTING?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 am

To seperate Luck from skill, why don't we all post our players that were on our target lists this year to produce our outproduce their ADP's?

Philip Rivers
Housh
Ryan Grant
Mark Bradley
Kenny Britt
Shiancoe
Greg Camarillo
Greg Jones...lol...Yes, Greg Jones
Ahmad Bradshaw
Mike Bell

These are some guys who I feel will be a bigger factor on their fantasy teams, than a lot of mags and "experts" were giving them credit for, going into this season.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

jimchristie

Post by jimchristie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:16 am

Diesel; good luck in our Online League;

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 am

Originally posted by jimchristie:
Diesel; good luck in our Online League; Jim, thanks. Good luck to you too. I can tell you 100% that it was easier drafting from the 11 spot, than it was from the 1 spot this year. I am relying on veteran WR's to keep me legit, with 3 potentially potent RB's out of the draft we did together. We'll see how it unfolds. AP and Westbrook...WOW...Imagine the possibilities...lol health, health, health...
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:23 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL I GUESS THE ULTIMATE DETERMINATION OF THIS IS TO SEE HOW ONE DOES IN BOTH.

NOW IF ONE FINISHES IN THE TOP 10% OF THE CLASSIC AND THEN IS AT THE BOTTOM 20% OF THE PRIMETIME IN MY OPINION THEY DRAFTED TWO SEPARATE ROSTERS AND HOPE TO STRIKE GOLD ON ONE OF THEM. Hey there Ormond,

Unfortunately this is where you lost me.

There's a completely different dynamic in a 14-team draft when compared to a 12-teamer, even when starting with the same draft position.

Its a matter of what players are available to you in any particular round.....and obviously in a 12-teamer, you'll have better players available in any given round.
I'm not one to pick another player from the same tier just so I can avoid putting all my eggs in the same basket....in fact, I tend to error to the other side of the equation. If I feel strongly about a player, I'll want him on everyone of my teams. However, if someone who I feel is better is available in any particular draft, I will (or should) pick him over the player I may have drafter earlier.

This happened to me as early as the 2nd round in the Primetime. I chose MBIII in the 2nd round of the classic and there he was available again in the Primetime at the same spot.....but Westbrook was also available, and I like him better, so I chose (and should have chose) Westbrook.

In fact, though I picked 2nd in both drafts, the only players I have on both teams are McNabb and Vick (as a handcuff). I don't feel strongly about either, but chose him in both because I felt he was the best value for my team at each point of each draft. I'll tell you though, if Rivers had made it just two more picks in the Primetime, I'd have nobody on both teams.

Now I understand your point if you're picking from the same point in the same contest and your teams are working out the same. You then choose one receiver you might like a little less than another receiver in the same tier just to "hedge your bets" as said earlier. However, your example does not apply.

Still, I like your argument.

Chat with you soon,
Glenn

[ September 07, 2009, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 am

Ormond, otherwise I feel like there is no need for tiers. I'd have 400 tiers or just rank the players.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Kot, with everything said, we did take Romo as our QB1 in both leagues. So, I guess we did roll the dice to an extent this year. He was the last guy in our Tier at the time.

We'll see. Good discussion!!!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:51 pm

I had #7 pick in the Classic and #8 in the prime. I took LT in one and Sjax in the other and I did that purposefully so I didn't have the same 'top' player leading my squad in case of injury. I have them evaluated within a few points of each other so it was negligible on one being clearly worth more than the other.

Having said that I think Kevin Smith will be a breakout stud this year and I happily took him in the 3rd round in both drafts (much to Billy's dismay...).

For me I have my valuations and the game I play isn't taking the best available player on my rankings but trying to figure out when is the LATEST I can get that player. Sometimes I have a guy I think is a 5th round talent that I target in the 7th and he ends up going 2 picks after me in round 6. If I think someone is 5th round talent and I get them at THAT spot - then how can I win? 5th round talent in the 5th round is boring. I want 4th round talent in the 5th and 7th round talent in the 10th.

The most common mistake I see owners making is taking their sleepers so early they can't possibly sleep.

My two squads share:
Kevin Smith
Kevin Curtis
Sidney Rice

But it wasn't for lack of wanting players. You sat next to me, Ormond - you swiped a handful of players I wanted ;P

Two TE's!! you killed me there - I thought I'd squeeze one by you when I wanted 'em, hehe.

Good luck this year, sir - I don't want you to think I wimped out, but my teams are quite different simply because I took what I could in both.

Dyv/Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL I GUESS THE ULTIMATE DETERMINATION OF THIS IS TO SEE HOW ONE DOES IN BOTH.

NOW IF ONE FINISHES IN THE TOP 10% OF THE CLASSIC AND THEN IS AT THE BOTTOM 20% OF THE PRIMETIME IN MY OPINION THEY DRAFTED TWO SEPARATE ROSTERS AND HOPE TO STRIKE GOLD ON ONE OF THEM. Hey there Ormond,

Unfortunately this is where you lost me.

There's a completely different dynamic in a 14-team draft when compared to a 12-teamer, even when starting with the same draft position.

Its a matter of what players are available to you in any particular round.....and obviously in a 12-teamer, you'll have better players available in any given round.
I'm not one to pick another player from the same tier just so I can avoid putting all my eggs in the same basket....in fact, I tend to error to the other side of the equation. If I feel strongly about a player, I'll want him on everyone of my teams. However, if someone who I feel is better is available in any particular draft, I will (or should) pick him over the player I may have drafter earlier.

This happened to me as early as the 2nd round in the Primetime. I chose MBIII in the 2nd round of the classic and there he was available again in the Primetime at the same spot.....but Westbrook was also available, and I like him better, so I chose (and should have chose) Westbrook.

In fact, though I picked 2nd in both drafts, the only players I have on both teams are McNabb and Vick (as a handcuff). I don't feel strongly about either, but chose him in both because I felt he was the best value for my team at each point of each draft. I'll tell you though, if Rivers had made it just two more picks in the Primetime, I'd have nobody on both teams.

Now I understand your point if you're picking from the same point in the same contest and your teams are working out the same. You then choose one receiver you might like a little less than another receiver in the same tier just to "hedge your bets" as said earlier. However, your example does not apply.

Still, I like your argument.

Chat with you soon,
Glenn
[/QUOTE]I WAS BASEING THIS DEBATE ON THE FACT THAT YOU HAD A CHANCE OF GETTING THE SAME PLAYERS. NOW OF COURSE IF YOU ARE PICKING FROM THE ONE HOLE IN THE CLASSIC AND THE 9TH HOLE IN THE PRIMETIME THEN THE TEAMS ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT.

HOWEVER IF YOU WERE PICKING LETS SAY 5TH IN THE CLASSIC AND 6TH IN THE PRIMETIME THEY COULD MIRROR SOMEWHAT.

THAT'S WHAT I MEANT BY THAT GLENN. OF COURSE YOU DON'T GIVE UP A HIGHER VALUE PLAYER IF HE FALLS TO YOU LIKE YOU DID WITH WESTBROOK. I'M IN AGREEMENT THERE.