Classless act or good strategy??

renman

Post by renman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:01 pm

here is my thought...

are we a bunch of nerds playing a kiddie game or board game or are we sportsman playing a sporting game?

if we are nerds, we pull classless moves to "block" people in a situation like this. i guess to some, fantasy football is sort of like a board game or computer game... to others, its a game about SPORTS and what goes on ON THE FIELD.

i would never BLOCK someone i was playing just to manipulate the game because it happens to be a loop hole within the league rules to give my team an advantage by screwing some other team. i would not want to ever win that way. i want to win because i made my team the best i could for that particular week...

but thats just me...

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:24 pm

Originally posted by renman:
here is my thought...

are we a bunch of nerds playing a kiddie game or board game or are we sportsman playing a sporting game?

if we are nerds, we pull classless moves to "block" people in a situation like this. i guess to some, fantasy football is sort of like a board game or computer game... to others, its a game about SPORTS and what goes on ON THE FIELD.

i would never BLOCK someone i was playing just to manipulate the game because it happens to be a loop hole within the league rules to give my team an advantage by screwing some other team. i would not want to ever win that way. i want to win because i made my team the best i could for that particular week...

but thats just me... Naive

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:30 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
Primo, give no quarter, ask for no quarter.

Take care of business. Plan ahead. Know your opponents' rosters like your own.

Nobody manages your team except for you. If you get in a position where you can dictate how the other guy plays, you own him.

With all that, this game is mostly luck. But the best luck goes to the prepared. Well said JP!

We aren't here to make friends, we are here to win $$$$! Nag said "it shouldn't matter whether we paid $1,250 or .12" and to that I say B.S!

When I am playing in my $25 entry "local league", I would NEVER pull a move like this because the people in the league are friends. In this league, I know NO ONE personally, and if I win $$ in this league, I could care less how it happens because the bottom line is that at the end of the season, you will either be holding a check, or holding your Johnson!

As to why these players were still on his roster? Maybe he has consistently been outbid in previous weeks on players he wanted, and so now he is deciding on a new strategy? My auction league team is 5-4 and i beleive I am 4th in points. HOWEVER, I still have DeShaun Foster on my roster, along with some other garbage, because I have been outbid along the way, and now NOTHING is available on the waiver wire.

Maybe that happened with this guy, and this is his way of taking out his frustration?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
We aren't here to make friends, we are here to win $$$$! Nag said "it shouldn't matter whether we paid $1,250 or .12" and to that I say B.S!

When I am playing in my $25 entry "local league", I would NEVER pull a move like this because the people in the league are friends. In this league, I know NO ONE personally, and if I win $$ in this league, I could care less how it happens because the bottom line is that at the end of the season, you will either be holding a check, or holding your Johnson!In other words, I don't know them so f#ck 'em? Wait, actually what I think you're saying is, if your local league (made up of your friends) was for big money, you'd f#ck 'em too, and not lose one minute of sleep?

This is simply amazing. I can respect (although disagree) with those who say this is good strategy which they would employ at ANY time.
But those of you who think they way this guy does - those who say they wouldn't do it in a small league or a friend's league but WOULD do it if the price is right REALLY need to stop and check your values in life. I don't mean to sound all righteous and preachy here, but I just can't believe that people don't even realize the type of "logic" they are spewing.
So HOW MUCH would it take for you to throw away your values and morals in other aspects of life? How much would you sell you family out for? How about your country?
For Players. By Players.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:24 pm

As someone said "all fair in love and War", this is war until the finish!! This has nothing to do with the real world. It's a HIGH PRICE game!! I suppose you would never root for your opponents players to get hurt either. We don't want them to get hurt, but we have no control over it. It's just the breaks of the game. The difference from winning this year might be this team for you, but it wasn't his fault you didn't have a QB. With $3, you left the door wide open. We are all playing to win. Just win baby!!

renman

Post by renman » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:49 pm

hey,

it depends on whether you are here to play something sporting or play games to find loopholes in rules to gain advantages that have zero to do with the spirit of the game....

nag, this has nothing to do with strategy and everything to do with silliness and gimmicks... i am willing to bet there would be a rule put in somewhere down the line to stop such a "blocking move".. why? because it is not part of the game...

the game is supposed to be about who can field the best fantasy football team based on your knowledge and analysis or matchups, systems, talent, etc through scouting and overall football knowledge..

it is not about "blocking" someone else from being able to field a lower tier QB...lol

i am sure those who think the "anything thats within the rules is ok" logic find it to be just fine when ballplayers use performance enhancement drugs since they were not as of yet outlawed... or chop blocks, even when away from the play are ok, because no one threw a flag... or dump trades in other fantasy leagues are just fine as long as there are no rules to stop them...

its just silly...lol

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:10 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Originally posted by renman:
here is my thought...

but thats just me... Naive
[/QUOTE]A man with ethics and morals who believes in sportmanship and a sense of fair play is "naive"?

Wow, this thread is certainly letting some of you distinquish yourselves.
For Players. By Players.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 pm

Sell out my friends, family, or country? :confused: Don't confuse this GAME with life Nag. We are all here to win, and that is the bottom line!

Let me ask you this....if someone IN CONTENTION did this, would you have a beef about it? Probably not, but is it still not an "unethical" move? The answer is YES!

You got played, and although it is unfortunate, you fenced yourself in by leaving too few free agent $'s. I think if you focused more on what YOU could have done to prevent this from happening, it will be a better learning experience for you.

However, it is always easier to put the blame for "misfortune" on others rather than ourselves! ;)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:02 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

When I am playing in my $25 entry "local league", I would NEVER pull a move like this because the people in the league are friends. In this league, I know NO ONE personally, and if I win $$ in this league, I could care less how it happens because the bottom line is that at the end of the season, you will either be holding a check, or holding your Johnson!In other words, I don't know them so f#ck 'em? Wait, actually what I think you're saying is, if your local league (made up of your friends) was for big money, you'd f#ck 'em too, and not lose one minute of sleep?
[/QUOTE]If it was for big $$, I would HOPE that everyone would be competitive, and would do anything within the rules to win. That being said, local leagues are generally more for fun, and something to talk about on Monday's around the water cooler.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:17 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:

Let me ask you this....if someone IN CONTENTION did this, would you have a beef about it? Probably not, but is it still not an "unethical" move? The answer is YES!

Actually scratch this, because this guy IS in contention, and probably figures he has to "win out" to have ANY shot. Sorry I didn't pick this up earlier, as it just confirms my feelings about this even more!

Something similar happened in NY6 two weeks ago. A FIRST place team (record) was playing the LAST place team (total points), and the last place team had Chris Brown (who was questionable) on their roster. Well the first place team bid $1 MORE than the last place team could just to obtain Antowain Smith. They FULLY admitted that this was a "strategic" move. Of course it came back to get them as C.Brown played, and the last place team ended up beating the first place team.

I thought it was a very good move at the time, even though in hindsight, it back-fired on them "big time"!